Bought EV's ukulele songbook, would like the pdf

Jimmy Ukulele

Reaction score
I know this is probably not completely legal, so I would understand if the moderators lock or delete this thread right away.

But I at least want to try, so here is the deal:
I bought the Ukulele Songbook from Eddie Vedder via fleamarket music. It was a good offer as I did not know about it when you could order it from the Pearl Jam site. The downside was, while you would get a pdf file from the Pearl Jam shop, fleamarket music did not provide that (for which I don't blame them, I guess it is some organisational or maybe even legal matter...).
Those of you who know the book, will probably agree that it is not very easy to hold open without actually "folding" it. I always have to put something onto the pages, so they stay open, which is a bit inconvenient, especially if you try to play something from it.
Now I was wondering if maybe someone who got the song book from the Pearl Jam site would be ok to provide me with the pdf version of it. Then I could finally just make some printouts to practise playing.
In case you would like some proof of me actually owning the book, I could take a picture and upload it. Like holding the book next to the screen showing the forum or something, so you know its not a random picture from the internet.
Anyway, would be great if someone would do that for me. Just send me a message and we can organize it. Thanks!

For what it's worth, I could use one too. I didn't buy the book, but I'm a huge Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam fan, and I didn't realize the book was a limited edition and alas I missed out on it.

As far as legal concerns go with this, it doesn't seem like it should be illegal to share the PDF version of the book, since nobody's making money on this, and you can't even buy the book now, but I'll leave that up to others.

I've searched high and low myself, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. :( I'd definitely buy it if it was still available somewhere.

That being said, I'm surprised that not even chords for some of the songs have popped up yet.

You could even print out the pages you want and leave the book in a safe place.
I do that all the time with CG books, especially anthologies where I decide I want to work on this or that piece. If I own a legit version of something, I have no qualms about making a "backup" photocopy that I can mark up and keep in a folder on my music stand while the original is safely filed away. :)

I dont see anything ethically wrong with sharing the songbook pdf since it isnt for sale anymore. If it were for sale still then sure, it would be stealing to not just buy it yourself but no one is being denied any money by us sharing the pdf file so I really dont see any issues there.

I'd LOVELOVELOVE a copy of the pdf songbook if anyone is feeling generous. Id return the favor any way possible. Maybe send you a set of strings? Whatever it takes.

id love it too, please just post it maybe as a read only?
so many great songs

I dont see anything ethically wrong with sharing the songbook pdf since it isnt for sale anymore. If it were for sale still then sure, it would be stealing to not just buy it yourself but no one is being denied any money by us sharing the pdf file so I really dont see any issues there.

I'd LOVELOVELOVE a copy of the pdf songbook if anyone is feeling generous. Id return the favor any way possible. Maybe send you a set of strings? Whatever it takes.

For what it's worth, I could use one too. I didn't buy the book, but I'm a huge Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam fan, and I didn't realize the book was a limited edition and alas I missed out on it.

As far as legal concerns go with this, it doesn't seem like it should be illegal to share the PDF version of the book, since nobody's making money on this, and you can't even buy the book now, but I'll leave that up to others.

you DONT know if the copyright holder will re-release the book, so please don't suggest or insinuate at all that there is nothing wrong ethical or otherwise with ILLEGAL reproduction and distribution of the material. until copyright laws are changed, then you'll have no grounds to stand on.

Original poster: Take your book to Kinkos where this method is done routine;y for everything from cookbooks to text books: you/they can unbind it, they have methods to literally drill in a wire spiral binding for you, and then the pages will stay open forever and you can learn my songs.

Sincerely, Eddie Vedder.

*kidding*

you DONT know if the copyright holder will re-release the book, so please don't suggest or insinuate at all that there is nothing wrong ethical or otherwise with ILLEGAL reproduction and distribution of the material. until copyright laws are changed, then you'll have no grounds to stand on.

As I said, I will leave that determination to others, such as yourself. I sincerely doubt that I would ever get taken to court over distributing or receiving a copy of this elusive PDF file, but I've been wrong before.

Original poster: Take your book to Kinkos where this method is done routine;y for everything from cookbooks to text books: you/they can unbind it, they have methods to literally drill in a wire spiral binding for you, and then the pages will stay open forever and you can learn my songs.
I believe the original book in question is a deluxe hardcover collector's edition. I wouldn't do that to a book like this.

I see, itsme. That is a conundrum.

I just tab searched his two big hit tunes off that CD and sure enough, there seems to be very credible tabs for uke already online. Is songs, and I love the man, are rather full of a few fingerings with plenty of strumming. Strumming, strumming, strumming. I tried an online tab and it sounded pretty accurate. Cant' Keep is the tune; that fingering on the fifth fret is, to me, very hard to do. The pinky, can't seem to get the pinky.
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2011/09/pearl-jams-eddie-vedder-on-uke.html

And even if it wasn't still available it would not be OK. Copyright, people, copyright!

I bought the book off the PJ website and have the PDF file and would share it with all of you.. Let me know how we should go about this.

Kevlar

Top Bottom