String Replacement

Greig

Reaction score
How do you know when to replace your strings? My uke seems to have developed a bit of a buzz on either the A or E string when I am playing. Could this be an indicator or am I just looking for an excuse for my playing.

If it wasn't buzzing before, it's likely the strings. If they're more than a few months old, it's likely time for a new set.

Thanks, I thought that I was suffering a setback in my playing. I have used the uke a lot and have not changed the strings. Is there some rule of thumb for changing strings? Initially I thought you just kept on playing until they broke.

Until they broke? More like, keep playing until the strings don't stay in tune or until they start to buzz. (It could take years to break them, but few folks want to play a buzzy, out-of-tune uke for years.)

There's no rule of thumb. Playing the ukulele wears the strings out. The usual estimates fall between a couple months (if you play a lot) and a year (if you play occasionally).

Remember to try a new brand of nice strings each time you change them out (at least until you find the best strings for that uke). Check the strings sticky for lots of ideas.

Before my first string change, I didn't notice a lot of buzzing, but it seemed to me that my Kala KA-T was sounding dull and flat. Turns out I waited way too long. I replaced Aquilas with Aquilas, and the new set sounded incredible by comparison. I've decided my rule is this: If I'm wondering whether my strings need to be changed, the answer is yes, they do.

I recently changed my strings as well- The C string just started sounding lifeless, and the rest of them would go out of tune ever so slightly after months of being perfectly in tune.

Once I changed strings, the sound was amazing! Then again, it could be the thousands-of-a-millimeter-thicker concerts on a soprano (all the local uke shop had that day).

So, my rule is the same as Cantsing's above: If you're wondering if the strings need to be changed... they probably do...

Top Bottom