Best Uke for around 500 Dollars

Frankie2blue

Reaction score
I am looking for a ukulele as a gift for someone and want to spend around 500. and would prefer a solid wood ukulele. I have only high end ukuleles myself so I have never explored this market much since buying my first Fluke years ago. It looks like Mainlands are out of stock, not sure about Lanikai and I have never played any of them anyway. Any suggestions for the best Mahogany solid wood uke in this price range? Thanks

Pono....Solid Mahogany

Pono ukulele's made by Ko'olau are solid Mahogany and are very good quality.

You can get a Tenor for $469 and it comes with a very good quality Ko'olau hard shell case.

He said mahogany, goat.

I would suggest the Anuenue Khaya.

I agree that Pono's are good ukes for the money.

Also have heard good things about the Kanile'a Islander Line of ukes.

A Hamano H-100C would be a great classic concert model in a solid mahogany satin finish. Great sound with Aquilas. Price in ebay or ceciliasmusic is $294.95.

Consider a KoAloha Soprano, solid koa, which run around $450 new.

Thanks for the replies. I should have stated though that I was looking for a tenor, preferably in Hog. She has played my Collings UT3 ( and she can't have that!!!) and loves the feel of the neck and scale of the tenor as opposed to my concerts and she is just learning.I'll look up Pono, and one that comes with a decent case would be a plus. Anyway, thanks all for takinfg the time to give me the advice. Oh, And any advice who has these and has the best pricing along with actually having them in stock would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
Check out Mele Ukulele. The tenor with a case is around $500. But..call them up and speak directly and I am sure you will get something off.

Last edited:
He said mahogany, goat.

I would suggest the Anuenue Khaya.

Ditto that. I have their koa tenor and once it started to open up it was really incredible sounding. Gets better every day, and that's no lie. I have no reason to think their mahog wouldn't be equally as impressive.

Another vote for Pono

I would try to reach Mike Pereira of www.mpukuleles.com He sells his style 1 tenors under 500$. He might have one close to ready and you would get a top notch handbuilt ukulele.

Great suggestion. Mike's ukes are a bargain!

I would also consider a Black Bear Ukulele, if Duane has any available.

Sorry, but I have not had good luck with Pono's. I had 3 different Pono sopranos (koa, mango, monkey pod), all 3 had some issues with sound level, or finish, intonation, or set-up.

Last edited:
How about a Lo Prinzi Model A solid mahogany tenor. Constructed by a distinguished luthier right here in the USA, and you can get one through Mike at Uke Republic for just a bit over $500. Noted for their great playability and classic mahogany tone. Mine should be ready for delivery almost any day now.

Great suggestion. Mike's ukes are a bargin!

I would also consider a Black Bear Ukulele, if Duane has any available.

Sorry, but I have not had good luck with Pono's. I had 3 different Pono sopranos (koa, mango, monkey pod), all 3 had some issues with sound level, or finish, intonation, or set-up.

I agree his stuff looks really nice but I really want to keep it at 500 tops. Lowest I find on his site appears to be 750 on up. On the other hand after searching I have still not found a Pono in stock yet.

There are no style 1 on the for sale page of MP ukuleles at the moment but, you should contact him, he may have one being built and they sell for 475$.

Top Bottom