BestTabs/Chord Sites

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
I am having trouble figuring out songs from sites that only show the chords and sometimes strum pattern but don't show the timing. I am almost ten months in so still very wet but would like to learn more songs specially Hawaiian and early 1900's songs. Could some one please show me some good links to sites that have chords and picking time or just straight up tabs? I am also wondering why sites that give chords don't include how many times you hit each chord etc. Are you suppose know this automatic and I am stupid or some thing? Or is this my first instrument and after a while you figure this out? If the second part is right is there some thing I can do to improve this skill? I understand learn songs that you know really well but this only worked so far for me w/ Jamming by Bob Marley but You Shook Me all Knight Long I still haven't figured out the whole thing.

Try Ukulele Hunt -- there isn't really Hawaiian music but he does have tons of tabs, chords and often videos demonstrating the song.
http://ukulelehunt.com/tab-chords/

You also might want to try Live Ukulele. He has a bit of Hawaiian music, as well as some instructional videos.
http://liveukulele.com/tabs/

The fact of the matter is that chord sheets are almost useless unless you know the song you are trying to play. Of course you can strum along and sing the words, but you need to actually know the rhythm of the song, how fast it is played (tempo), how long to play each chord etc. if you really want to play the song. All of this is contained in sheet music, which is a) harder to come by and b) harder to comprehend than a simple chord sheet. My suggestion is to listen to the song on youtube (or an mp3 if you have it) and listen for the chord changes. Look at the chord sheet while you listen to the song and you will start picking up the pieces. After you listen to the song a few times you should be able to play the song by yourself without a recording. My best advice would be to play along with the video/mp3 a few times. If you play it enough, it will eventually become ingrained in your memory and you should be set! If you have any more questions or a comment on anything I said, please feel free to ask! Have fun strummin'!

On top of the UU Vids, I have found YouTube a great (sometimes) place for "instructional Ukulele songs" (use that in search). It has Ukulele Mike Lynch and others that do a great job.

I am having trouble figuring out songs from sites that only show the chords and sometimes strum pattern but don't show the timing. I am almost ten months in so still very wet but would like to learn more songs specially Hawaiian and early 1900's songs. Could some one please show me some good links to sites that have chords and picking time or just straight up tabs? I am also wondering why sites that give chords don't include how many times you hit each chord etc. Are you suppose know this automatic and I am stupid or some thing? Or is this my first instrument and after a while you figure this out? If the second part is right is there some thing I can do to improve this skill? I understand learn songs that you know really well but this only worked so far for me w/ Jamming by Bob Marley but You Shook Me all Knight Long I still haven't figured out the whole thing.

Try some of the links from the UU Ukulele Resource thread . . . I don't know if this will be helpful but here's my take on these sites. When I look for chords/lyrics for a particular song, I am already familiar with the tune/melody. Where the chords are placed indicate when the chord changes. These chord/lyric sheets won't give you a strum pattern or how many times to strum a particular chord. This goes back to song familiarity, if you know the rhythm/tempo of the song, you should be able to develop some type of pattern as you go through the song. Listen to the song you wanna learn a few dozen times to establish or figure out the tempo. And at that point you should be able to figure out a pattern. Tabs on the other hand indicate the progression showing what string and fret is played through the song. You can look at a tab but it's all meaningless if you aren't familiar with the song.

Top Bottom