Kamaka Question!

musiccityuker

Reaction score
Ready to buy a new concert uke. Leaning toward Kanilea mainly because they come with geared tuners. Have decided I just can't do the friction tuner thing. BUT... really like the Kamaka best. Contacted Kamaka to see if they offer a geared tuner but haven't heard back from them. Any UU thoughts? Thanks.

Ready to buy a new concert uke. Leaning toward Kanilea mainly because they come with geared tuners. Have decided I just can't do the friction tuner thing. BUT... really like the Kamaka best. Contacted Kamaka to see if they offer a geared tuner but haven't heard back from them. Any UU thoughts? Thanks.

Many folks like the traditional look of the Kamaka ukuleles. If you change out the Schaller tuners, you will probably reduce the resale value. If you have to have geared tuners on a Kamaka Concert, go with the Pegheds. Try the Schaller tuner, they work fine.

On sopranos some may not be comfortable with the top heavy feel...personal perference.... the Schallers work fine for me....you just got to get used to them..good luck...

@PedalFreak is right, you can change the tuners just make it a custom order to Kamaka.

Aren't peghead tuners a geared tuner disguised as a friction tuner? Perhaps that would be an option.

I wouldn't worry much about resale value. There are so many thousands of Kamakas out there I don't think it's going to matter. To the right buyer it may even increase the price. I installed Grover open geared tuners on my Kamaka soprano. It feels much better to me now. If you decide to switch out tuners, before you make the investment, keep in mind the size of the existing peg holes as well as any screw holes you may need to make on the back of the head stock. Once you've made the switch you may not be able to easily go back to what you formerly had. Also make sure if the tuners extend outward from the head stock that it'll fit in your case. With my Kamaka modification it's a tight squeeze. Luckily though, those chipboard cases are flexible. If this is a new instrument I'd see if Kamaka could install whatever you wanted.

Aren't peghead tuners a geared tuner disguised as a friction tuner? Perhaps that would be an option.

Pegheds are a geared tuner with a 4:1 ratio. I think they are best installed in new construction since they require smaller (7mm) holes and will not hide any damage (washer dents, etc) left by the old tuners. It's kind of a naked look, no room for errors.

Top Bottom