PDA

View Full Version : UWC 2012, Ukulele World Congress

Pages : [1] 2 3

hoosierhiver
10-13-2011, 06:39 AM
UKULELE WORLD CONGRESS 2012 * 4th Annual! *

JUNE 1st-2nd 2012
NEEDMORE (Brown County!) INDIANA

About 10 miles from Nashville Indiana off HWY45 at @ 4600 Plum Creek Rd.

Free! Compliments of Mainland Ukes

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkuleleWorldCongress

Most people start arriving late Friday afternoon, although several people came Thursday last year.
You're welcome to come a day or two early, but you might end up helping with the mowing and set-up.
Some people didn't leave till Monday or later!
There will be a potluck again Friday evening at 7pm. Mainland will have free water and drinks available until they run out.
There is an open mic each evening as well as a lot of other jammings all day and playing around the bonfire all night.

Nothing official planned for Sunday, but it's YOUR party so you guys can do what you want! Last year, Sunday had some nice low-key jamming and folks hanging around trying to find any excuse to prolong the experience.
The site for the UWC is a couple of big, well maintained fields with no permanent structures except for the stage. Both the fields are at least partially bordered by woods and a creek. As Bassuke has said, camping under shade is a good idea. There are alot of good on-site camping areas that weren't really explored last year, in the back of "parking field" there are some sweet drive up and camp spots that have shade for alot of the day.
There is basically an unlimited amount of parking and camping space. Portable toilets will be on site.
HOTELS:
Nashville is only about 10 minutes away from the UWC site and has a good variety of hotels and Bed and Breakfasts. Here's some options.

http://www.browncountylodging.com/lodging/list.html

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-nashville-indiana-IN419

http://saltcreekinn.com/

http://www.browncountyinn.com/

http://www.lakelemonguesthouses.com/

CAMPING:
Primative camping is free at the UWC site! (No showers sorry)
The local YMCA in Nashville sells $5 day passes, but I think it's free the first Saturday of the month.

PROVISIONS:
Nashville is not far and the Needmore store, good for some basics is only about a mile away.

Nashville has an IGA for food and other supplies.
There is also a CVS (cheap booze) and a liquor store in Nashville.

If you are flying ,Indianapolis International airport is about an hour or so away.

Google map to the site:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...66,0.2635&z=13

See you there! Mike

coolkayaker1
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Mike, very generous of you to host. New uker from IL, couple questions please:

(1) I am a hammock camper (Warbonnet Blackbird hammock). Is there a place for hammocking, i.e. two trees 12-15 feet apart in a spot for camping?

(2) I have heard that the huge Harley club is sometimes in Nashville that weekend. Is that true in 2012? If so, do they hog all the B&Bs, drink all the booze out of the IGA, and would a Fez-wearing, ukulele player with a bellyful of Pabst Blue Ribbons, who's all juiced up from playing "Tiny Bubbles" on your stage, get his belly slit by the Hells Angels if he staggered into Nashville? LOL

Thanks for posting and hosting. Steve

chindog
10-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm making plans now!

hoosierhiver
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM

(1) I am a hammock camper (Warbonnet Blackbird hammock). Is there a place for hammocking, i.e. two trees 12-15 feet apart in a spot for camping?

(2) I have heard that the huge Harley club is sometimes in Nashville that weekend. Is that true in 2012, and if so, do they hog all the B&Bs, drink all the booze out of the IGA, and would a Fez-wearing, ukulele player with a bellyful of Pabst Blue Ribbons, who's all juiced up from playing "Tiny Bubbles" on your stage, get his belly slit by the Hells Angels if he staggered into Nashville that weekend? LOL

The fields are bordered by woods, so a hammock spot can be found.

Nashville has become a pretty popular biker destination and there are always a few bikes at UWC. Rumor is there might even be a new biker shop across from the Mainland shop by then.

UncleElvis
10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Michael, my brother.

I will be there with bells on! Wild horses couldn't keep me away!
My lovely bride is even planning on joining us!

Next year will be even more amazing!

I MIGHT even go swimming in the creek!

Gah... my whole body filled up with love, just thinking about it!

And Steve? Don't worry about anything... hang with us lot and you'll be happy! UWC is the best place and time in the universe!

The only rules are:

1) No negativity on the fields. Leave that elsewhere.
and the most important one...
2) the MC has to/gets to hug everyone that plays on stage at the open mic!

I was privileged enough to be invited to MC both evenings this year and instituted this rule, with Mike's blessing!, and it made everything so much better.

Be prepared to bawl like a baby at the end of it... but also be prepared to be filled with love and joy for weeks, if not months, afterwards.

olgoat52
10-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Already got my reservation in Mike. Thanks for hosting again. Need something to get us through the winter.

RyRod
10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
planning on making this one!

CoLmes
10-13-2011, 09:22 AM
E for full time MC

Basically the first weekend of June is always UWC for me. No matter what.

Actually thought I wasn't making this one because my friends were getting married that weekend but they broke up. lol

If you haven't been to a ukulele festival GO TO THIS ONE

If you have been to one GO TO THIS ONE

There is no other uke festival in the world like this.

Penguinofsorts
10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
*like*
I'm excited!!

olgoat52
10-13-2011, 09:43 AM
E! doesn't realize it but with the new hugging rule he is going to have a lot more competition for the spot! :) They may have to have an MC sign up sheet right next to the performer one! :)

E for full time MC

Actually thought I wasn't making this one because my friends were getting married that weekend but they broke up. lol

UncleElvis
10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
E! doesn't realize it but with the new hugging rule he is going to have a lot more competition for the spot! :) They may have to have an MC sign up sheet right next to the performer one! :)

Col, I love the support, but as Tim says here, there may be competition!

And I hope there IS! I had an absolute BLAST MCing and would love to do it again, but I wouldn't want to take that absolute joy away from anyone else! Alex did an AMAZING job this year, keeping the flow going, supporting so, so many people, showing the love... he was awesome!

If anyone wants to MC, I encourage them to step up and volunteer! It's SO worth it!

ukeeku
10-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Let the countdowns begin. so excited. Just wish it did not end up on my wifes birthday. Not a big deal, this will be year 4 that I miss it.

olgoat52
10-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Let the countdowns begin. so excited. Just wish it did not end up on my wifes birthday. Not a big deal, this will be year 4 that I miss it. Could she change her birthday maybe, or learn to play the uke?

OldePhart
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Let the countdowns begin. so excited. Just wish it did not end up on my wifes birthday. Not a big deal, this will be year 4 that I miss it.
"Hey, dear, guess what, I've booked a very special weekend at a bed'n'breakfast in Nashville for your birthday this year..."

Just sayin... LOL

John

OldePhart
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeeeee-haaaaaaaa!

chindog
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Michael, my brother.

I will be there with bells on! Wild horses couldn't keep me away!
My lovely bride is even planning on joining us!

Next year will be even more amazing!

I MIGHT even go swimming in the creek!

Gah... my whole body filled up with love, just thinking about it!

And Steve? Don't worry about anything... hang with us lot and you'll be happy! UWC is the best place and time in the universe!

The only rules are:

1) No negativity on the fields. Leave that elsewhere.
and the most important one...
2) the MC has to/gets to hug everyone that plays on stage at the open mic!

I was privileged enough to be invited to MC both evenings this year and instituted this rule, with Mike's blessing!, and it made everything so much better.

Be prepared to bawl like a baby at the end of it... but also be prepared to be filled with love and joy for weeks, if not months, afterwards.

Ok, I want a hug, but no kissing on the lips!!!!

musicmonsterw
10-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Where do you want to be kissed?

musicmonsterw
10-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah. forgot to say. I'm in.

chindog
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Bad Ronin! Bad Ronin!

:D

Mandarb
10-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Actually thought I wasn't making this one because my friends were getting married that weekend but they broke up.

So which is it? You would go to UWC no matter what or you would not go because your friends were going to get married?

Ukulelerob
10-15-2011, 02:40 AM

On stage at UWC?

nicholasabersold
10-29-2011, 06:18 AM
2012 will probably be the only year I can make it, so I'll make sure I'll be there. I'll take a week off and fly in all the way from Germany. See you there!

bornagainjeeper
10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Goes without saying, I'll be there..4 years in a row now! UWC is better than xmas... I just started a new job, and if i don't get the weekend off i'll quit...seriously.

UncleElvis
10-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Goes without saying, I'll be there..4 years in a row now! UWC is better than xmas... I just started a new job, and if i don't get the weekend off i'll quit...seriously.

For anything else, I'd say you were being ridiculous, but... you're absolutely correct!
UWC is, far and away, the best week I've had. I loved it. I love the people there, I love hanging out with people I love, I love meeting people that can become people I love that I can hang out with, I love playing, I love singing, I love being there.

Next year, I'm thinking about bringing the bride and camping out, either on the field or between you and Matt. Actually, I'll put Matt in between us, to protect you from my wife and vice verse! (JUUUST kidding)

I'm already saving up for my plane ticket!

Colonel Uke
10-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I started thinking about next years UWC while driving home from last year's event. So many things learned, new friends made, can't wait to come back again. I'll be there. Definitely coming on Thursday. Let me know what I can do to help set up, mow, or anything. I'll be driving up from around Lexington KY too, so if anyone along the Lexington/ Louisville route wants a ride, just let me know.

Mr_Cub
10-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Hello friends,
I've got UWC '12 on my calendar! I'm a newbie here, just found this forumn tonight. Got my uke in December, and am crazy about it! I'm counting down the days, but also hoping to bust my arse so as to not make a fool of myself and my rookie skills. I'll be checking back in from time to time to see what's up and what UWC is all about. Till then, it's back to the the basement to uke it up.

See you soon in June,
Mr_Cub

UncleElvis
10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Hello friends,
I've got UWC '12 on my calendar! I'm a newbie here, just found this forumn tonight. Got my uke in December, and am crazy about it! I'm counting down the days, but also hoping to bust my arse so as to not make a fool of myself and my rookie skills. I'll be checking back in from time to time to see what's up and what UWC is all about. Till then, it's back to the the basement to uke it up.

See you soon in June,
Mr_Cub

Best part of UWC? You cannot make a fool of yourself! Well, you can, but not by getting up and playing!
We had every level play this year and the applause was as loud, if not louder, for the beginners as it was for the experienced players.

No, to make a fool of yourself, you have to MC part of the thing and have seeso start playing "Suspicious Minds"... THAT starts a chain of events leading to much fool-making! *grin*

See you there!

olgoat52
10-30-2011, 06:02 PM
New slogan.. "What Happens in Needmore....... ends up on the internet!"

Best part of UWC? You cannot make a fool of yourself! Well, you can, but not by getting up and playing!
We had every level play this year and the applause was as loud, if not louder, for the beginners as it was for the experienced players.

No, to make a fool of yourself, you have to MC part of the thing and have seeso start playing "Suspicious Minds"... THAT starts a chain of events leading to much fool-making! *grin*

See you there!

Gary Gill
10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I have marked my calendar for UWC. I live about 45 minutes north of Nashville.

misterpk
10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
How exciting. I'm definitely coming back for this one!

Last year was a ton of fun. It was great to meet a lot of people from the board. It was also fun to drink with them! ;)

olgoat52
10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Related to David Gill by any chance?

I have marked my calendar for UWC. I live about 45 minutes north of Nashville.

musicmonsterw
10-31-2011, 03:24 PM
How exciting. I'm definitely coming back for this one!

Last year was a ton of fun. It was great to meet a lot of people from the board. It was also fun to drink with them! ;)

It was a ton of fun. I'm glad I didn't drink too much.

olgoat52
10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
It was a ton of fun. I'm glad I didn't drink too much.

Oh Pfffft! What's the point! :D

musicmonsterw
10-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh Pfffft! What's the point! :D

That's exactly the point. It depends on what your definition of 'too much' is.

austin1
11-02-2011, 01:49 PM
E for full time MC

I remember you distinctly telling me you were hoping they'd break up so you could come. HOORAY!

austin1
11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm going to do my darndest to make it, but flights are expensive, plus that will be right in the middle of my semester. Assuming I get int grad school. We shall see!

casetone2514
11-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Is anybody going from the UK?

UncleElvis
11-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Is anybody going from the UK?

I'm going to try to guilt trip a few folks from England to come... they know who they are...

Doug W
11-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Planning to go this year with at least one of my daughters. Hope my car can get there and back. Maybe we can work out a commute deal with some Twin Cities folk. Anybody from Mpls / St. Paul, Duluth / Superior, Embarrass, Motley going?

casetone2514
11-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm going to try to guilt trip a few folks from England to come... they know who they are...
The reason I ask is that I'm a very nervous flyer and I've chickened out of coming for the last two years. If someone was to say to me, "I'll go if you go", that little bit of guilt-tripping might add a little more incentive...

SuzukHammer
11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
If Austin plays without a shirt, I'd like to donate some of my frequent flyer miles to help her out.

SuzukHammer
11-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I hope to fly back and participate. I told my thai wife she needs to come meet Mike and his Thai wife. We're also hoping to see them in Bangkok this February.

it was a cool experience last year. I was glad I went and my brother's family loved it.

musicmonsterw
11-08-2011, 01:39 AM
The reason I ask is that I'm a very nervous flyer and I've chickened out of coming for the last two years. If someone was to say to me, "I'll go if you go", that little bit of guilt-tripping might add a little more incentive...

I'll go if you go. No wait, does it only work if you hear this from someone in the UK?

ukeeku
11-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Related to David Gill by any chance?
I know I answered this to you directly, but for others.
Yes, Gary Gill is David Gills Nephew. He has made a few ukes in davids shop. I think he is doing some fun stuff with a tower nut and also in favor of the string through the body saddle.

hoosierhiver
11-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Oh Man, It'd be great to have you Tony!

benmealer
11-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Hope to make this one.

Ukester Brown
11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Last year (2011) was my first time. Now I know better what to expect and I have put it on my calendar.

casetone2514
11-09-2011, 03:28 AM
I'll go if you go. No wait, does it only work if you hear this from someone in the UK?
I was thinking more of a traveling buddy - you wanna come over and collect me?

schmee
11-09-2011, 03:28 AM
I want to go....but who would I know there. Do any famous people come and play?

musicmonsterw
11-09-2011, 03:56 AM
I was thinking more of a traveling buddy - you wanna come over and collect me?

I would love to but I don't think I can squeeze a trip to the U.K. as well into my travel budget. I'm on the wrong ocean.

UncleElvis
11-09-2011, 04:15 AM
I want to go....but who would I know there. Do any famous people come and play?Even if you don't know anyone at the beginning, you'll know a whole lot of 'em at the end! You'll have a whole new family!

Ukulelerob
11-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Even if you don't know anyone at the beginning, you'll know a whole lot of 'em at the end! You'll have a whole new family!

It's more about the infamous than the famous.

hoosierhiver
11-09-2011, 07:27 AM

That could be on this next year's UWC shirt.

olgoat52
11-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Good one Rob!

Mandarb
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Even if you don't know anyone at the beginning, you'll know a whole lot of 'em at the end! You'll have a whole new family!

Don't know if schmee will make it - here is their thoughts on UWC from another thread....

schmee wrote:

"Thanks ukeku,
I think there are som UKE players around. I really am not sure I would like hanging out and camping for a afew days. the pics make the ukulele world congress look like a hippy festival. Not a huge fan of hippies.
we will see.
I will continue playing with myself for now"

sukie
11-09-2011, 09:13 AM

That could be on this next year's UWC shirt.

Too funny. And perfect.

I read a couple of posts further. Me? A hippie? Really? I'm a mild-mannered suburban housewife. I work for Meals on Wheels. Me?

marymac
11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Maybe his definition of hippie is different than mine. I'm a middle-aged working gal too. Ok I'm a lesbian too so maybe I'm a "hippie" for that no matter what other aspects there are to me!

My understanding of UWC is a whole lot different: Like camping? Check. Like sitting around on a summer day in a lawn chair playing uke? Check. Like trees, and streams and fun people and no pressure? Check. Like flipflops and shorts and swimming a creek in the summer? Check.

Maybe to him anyone who likes to hang around in the woods playing uke for a weekend with other people is a hippie? If we brought guns instead of ukes, and called ourselves hunters instead of ukesters, maybe we'd be considered "ok".

sukie
11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Marymac.

You basically have it all in a nutshell. I've been all three years and it's always fun.

CoLmes
11-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe his definition of hippie is different than mine. I'm a middle-aged working gal too. Ok I'm a lesbian too so maybe I'm a "hippie" for that no matter what other aspects there are to me!

My understanding of UWC is a whole lot different: Like camping? Check. Like sitting around on a summer day in a lawn chair playing uke? Check. Like trees, and streams and fun people and no pressure? Check. Like flipflops and shorts and swimming a creek in the summer? Check.

Maybe to him anyone who likes to hang around in the woods playing uke for a weekend with other people is a hippie? If we brought guns instead of ukes, and called ourselves hunters instead of ukesters, maybe we'd be considered "ok".

This post radiates awesome. I think I have to go take a shower to get it all off of me.

olgoat52
11-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Mild Mannered??? :D

Too funny. And perfect.

I read a couple of posts further. Me? A hippie? Really? I'm a mild-mannered suburban housewife. I work for Meals on Wheels. Me?

ukeeku
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Don't know if schmee will make it - here is their thoughts on UWC from another thread....

schmee wrote:

"Thanks ukeku,
I think there are som UKE players around. I really am not sure I would like hanging out and camping for a afew days. the pics make the ukulele world congress look like a hippy festival. Not a huge fan of hippies.
we will see.

I read that too, figured I would not bust them on it.

marymac
11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
You're nicer than me ukeeku. Can I be a mean AND be a hippie or is that an oxymoron? Overall I'm probably more hippie than mean so maybe shmee's right and I AM a hippie. Who knew!

Ukulelerob
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I read that too, figured I would not bust them on it.

If they don't think that UCW would be right for them, I wouldn't push it. You wouldn't want anyone there that doesn't want to be there there. But, as far as I know, anyone with the Aloha Spirit is welcomed with open arms.

OldePhart
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of hippies either 'til I got old and realized that I are one...

My sister, who really was a California hippie right down to the flower-power VW bus, got older and discovered she was a redneck. LOL

John

musicmonsterw
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

schmee wrote:

hee hee hee hee

OldePhart
11-09-2011, 04:48 PM
hee hee hee hee

Two hours and forty-nine minutes. Okay, who had the 2-1/2 to 3 hour block in the pool? LOL

John

sukie
11-09-2011, 05:38 PM
If they don't think that UCW would be right for them, I wouldn't push it. You wouldn't want anyone there that doesn't want to be there there. But, as far as I know, anyone with the Aloha Spirit is welcomed with open arms.
Totally correct there Rob.

UncleElvis
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Totally correct there Rob.You buncha hippies!

marymac
11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
You buncha hippies!

hahahahaha!

SuzukHammer
11-10-2011, 11:47 PM
UWC 2011 was my first experience with playing with myself amongst hippies. Don't knock it until you try it.

I'm hoping one of those OCCUPYing groups sets up real close to the speakers. They can protest against all the fun.

coolkayaker1
11-11-2011, 02:50 AM
YOu were with a bunch of hippies and played with yourself for the first time? Sounds like more than one first there, then.

thomdawg
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Oh....... I can't wait!! Mike said people got there on Thursday last year.... Daviddawg, Yogajen, and I got there Wed. morning and set up. A couple of hours later in pulled Yopp and the youngin's.... I can't recommend being a dirtbag ukulele hippie and stayin' on the field enough! Hey Seeso, Jeep's will tell you what you can eat off the ground!

OldePhart
11-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm just trying to decide whether it's going to be cheaper overall this year to fly into indy and rent a car or drive up from TX like last year. Just glad I didn't book those reservations on American... LOL

I have a coworker who turned in his notice at our place yesterday because he's been offered a position at American - he was not amused by the news this morning...

John

UncleElvis
11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Oh....... I can't wait!! Mike said people got there on Thursday last year.... Daviddawg, Yogajen, and I got there Wed. morning and set up. A couple of hours later in pulled Yopp and the youngin's.... I can't recommend being a dirtbag ukulele hippie and stayin' on the field enough! Hey Seeso, Jeep's will tell you what you can eat off the ground!Next year, I think the bride is coming and I think we'll be camping, or at least caravaning.

We gon' make some NOISE, mon ami!

veep
11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
i have been told i have to come .

thomdawg
11-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey UE!!! Everyday on the field gets you a little more funk in your punk! Why do I have to wait till the Open Mic for your hug?

ADD
12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=nicholasabersold;792113]2012 will probably be the only year I can make it, so I'll make sure I'll be there. I'll take a week off and fly in all the way from Germany. See you there![/QUOTE

Yeah!! Glad you are coming. You won't regret it - you'll never forget it!!!

mctrmt
12-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Dave and I are planning to attend.

SO EXCITED.

hoosierhiver
12-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Half way there, only 6 months away!

UncleElvis
12-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Hey UE!!! Everyday on the field gets you a little more funk in your punk! Why do I have to wait till the Open Mic for your hug?

Mon ami, you don't have to wait for nothin'! Yer gettin' one as soon as I see you!

OldePhart
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Half way there, only 6 months away!
<emote mode="tantrum">
Six months! Six months! I don't wanna wait six months!
</emote>

Sorry, that's what you get when a software engineer has grandkids... :)

sukie
12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
<emote mode="tantrum">
</emote>

You forgot to stamp your feet.

musicmonsterw
12-07-2011, 04:22 AM
<emote mode="tantrum">
</emote>

Just imagine you're already there, for a few minutes every day.

MattLindahl
12-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Thank Jah this thread is up and running! It made my day a little bit lighter thinking about UWC again. I am not sure, but I think my sister might be able to make it up this year...Can't wait to see ya'll again!

hoosierhiver
12-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Thank Jah this thread is up and running! It made my day a little bit lighter thinking about UWC again. I am not sure, but I think my sister might be able to make it up this year...Can't wait to see ya'll again!

Oh man, that'd be sweet! I love it when you guys do vids together.

OldePhart
12-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Man, that would be so cool. Love the vids you two did together.

Also looking forward to another "sniff o' the jar," too. :)

John

OldePhart
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Just imagine you're already there, for a few minutes every day.
Hard to do since I don't smoke that imagination booster anymore. ;)

ADD
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Excited for you! Excited for us too. Will be great to see and hear you sing together in person!

musicmonsterw
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Hard to do since I don't smoke that imagination booster anymore. ;)

Oh yeah. I'd forgotten that.

Bassukuguy
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Been a long time since ive been 'round these parts, but im planning on being there with bells on. Ok well, i cant guarantee bells but I will be there none the less. Hoping to drag 3-4 more people for more ukulele love.

dirk.li
01-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Oh noz, I can't make it. I've just finished planning my holidays for 2012 and now I know I can't be there.
So unfortunately I won't see you all again this year. Hopefully though in the next!!

Rel-Bar
01-21-2012, 10:20 PM
The place to be in 2012 and ever since 2009, yo!

23skidoo
01-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Just wondering.... how kid friendly is UWC? I've got two kids under 10 and my wife and I are talking about making a family trip of it..... Have there been kids around at past events or would we be 'those people who brought small children and ruined the party'?

itsscottwilder
01-23-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm 99% sure that I'm coming! This will be my first UWC. Very excited.

OldePhart
01-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Just wondering.... how kid friendly is UWC? I've got two kids under 10 and my wife and I are talking about making a family trip of it..... Have there been kids around at past events or would we be 'those people who brought small children and ruined the party'?

From my one year there I'd say the daytime is pretty kid friendly and there were quite a few kids around. In fact Seeso put together a kid's ukulele choir and they performed during open mic.

Later on in the evening the open-mic can get a bit raw for tender ears...

John

23skidoo
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
From my one year there I'd say the daytime is pretty kid friendly and there were quite a few kids around. In fact Seeso put together a kid's ukulele choir and they performed during open mic.

John

thanks, John.... that's about what I figured..... and seeing as how I fully intend to enjoy myself in the evenings, we may have to reevaluate....

OldePhart
01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I just scheduled my vacation - only 129 days 'til UWC woo hoo!

John

salukulady
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM

JohnThat was Bhatman, not Seeso.

OldePhart
01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
That was Bhatman, not Seeso.

Doh! Sorry 'bout that - I've slept once or twice since then. LOL

hoosierhiver
01-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Here you go,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL_7LwtdTA0

kylep
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
cant wait till June! maybe i'll get outa my shell and come hang out this year... Mike! I moved to Bloomington!

hoosierhiver
01-24-2012, 08:55 AM
cant wait till June! maybe i'll get outa my shell and come hang out this year... Mike! I moved to Bloomington!

You've got no excuse then , see you there!

23skidoo
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Here you go,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL_7LwtdTA0

great fun - now the young 'uns are really stoked, we'll be sure to bring their Dolphins......

thomdawg
01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Bhatman being up there with the kids was unbelievable!!! There are always some kids running around.... hey, they like to play ukuleles as well as the big kids!!

ukemunga
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
This sounds like a great, great time! I'm coming for sure unless the sky falls or something.

What's chances Nunes and Pearl show up? :)

Not to mention many others I'm not even smart enough to know about...

Steedy
01-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I might have to drive up from Nashville (TN) for this. I just hope there's not too much drinking and carousing. Enough mind you, but not too much! ;)

SuzukHammer
01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
I came with some of my brother's kids. Their behavior was careless and reckless - having fun and getting dirty. The kids, not the ukesters.

The kids asked when they could go back. THey said it was one of their funnest trips. Kudos to Bahtman for planting the ukulele seeds with the kids.

Uncle Elvis played MC and helped babysit a couple of the kids who didn't leave the stage. We need to bring a big hook to corral those kids.

ukeeku
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
This sounds like a great, great time! I'm coming for sure unless the sky falls or something.

I don't think Nunes, vedder, or jake will show, but I know Seeso, BornagainJeepers, Dominator, and a slew of other well known Youtube/UU peeps will show up

OldePhart
01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't think Nunes, vedder, or jake will show, but I know Seeso, BornagainJeepers, Dominator, and a slew of other well known Youtube/UU peeps will show up

Yep, and I'd way rather hang with them anyway. Well...maybe Jake... :)

And, of course, can't forget the Dawgs...and I bet Nunes doesn't throw cheese to the crowd near as well as YogaJen...

OldePhart
01-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Actually, there are a number of pros that show up as has been pointed out but, honestly, this isn't a "festival" in the traditional sense where people come to sit around and listen to their heros play. This is really just a gathering of people who really love the ukulele and others who play them. The pros aren't there because they're getting paid to show, they're there because they love rubbing elbows with other nuts who think there is something special about the uke.

It's a very "hands on" time and even for the relative few who may not work up the nerve to perform at the open mic, it's almost certain that they'll find themselves part of several "pick up" groups banging out old favorites all afternoon long. I.e., bring your "song book" with you. :) (And a lot of those too shy to sign up for open mic on Friday find the nerve to sign up for open mic on Saturday - Saturday's open mic runs really late!)

John

SuzukHammer
01-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Saturday should just be called Satsunday because it just kind of melds together overnight.

seeso
01-25-2012, 03:34 AM
That was Bhatman, not Seeso.

LOL! Yeah, it was the other Asian...

:biglaugh:

Scarecrow
01-25-2012, 04:12 AM
I had such a good time last year. The people are as nice and welcoming as can be. Alas, I don't think this year will be doable. It truly breaks my heart.

lonerhino
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Vacation days scheduled. I couldn't' be more exited!

CoLmes
01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Who Nick?:rolleyes:

misterpk
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not half as cool as Seeso or Bhatman.

I'm the other other Asian!

UncleElvis
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Mike Hu was helping the kids?

UncleElvis
01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I came with some of my brother's kids. Their behavior was careless and reckless - having fun and getting dirty. The kids, not the ukesters.

The kids asked when they could go back. THey said it was one of their funnest trips. Kudos to Bahtman for planting the ukulele seeds with the kids.

Uncle Elvis played MC and helped babysit a couple of the kids who didn't leave the stage. We need to bring a big hook to corral those kids.

No WAY! I loved hanging with them!

Then again, I loved every second I was there, so...

My wife was just saying today that, when we get money together, the first thing I gotta do is get my ticket to UWC.

Who am I to argue?

OldePhart
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Ahhh, man, gimme a break. LOL It was my first year, I was dazzled and everything... Bigger LOL

Maybe I'll make nametags for folks for this years UWC... :biglaugh:

OldePhart
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Vacation days scheduled. I couldn't' be more exited!

Hey, "Loner Hino" is going to make it! :) Looking forward to seeing you again, Jeff.

John

OldePhart
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Ahhh, man, gimme a break. LOL It was my first year, I was dazzled and everything... Bigger LOL

Or...at least...for all the Asians... :biglaugh:

salukulady
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not half as cool as Seeso or Bhatman.

I'm the other other Asian!And there was Ronin....

cornfedgroove
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
alright...I'm down this year!

I'm in a much better place now. Taken me 2 years to get here, but count daddy in. I may even be sociable if I come

DeG
01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Minor panic attack...thought my son's high school graduation might be this weekend...was wonder how he would deal with me not being there....LOL

salukulady
01-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Minor panic attack...thought my son's high school graduation might be this weekend...was wonder how he would deal with me not being there....LOL

Priorities DeG. Kids graduate every year. UWC isn't always gonna be. He'd get over it.

MattLindahl
01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lMswtbl0OI&list=UUjdoYlSpWgMzA-evKaOtJsQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Just posted this on YT. No editing of any kind, but if you'd like to linger in the moment, it might be worth it...

Monkeyswithladders
01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't miss this for the world :D

OldePhart
01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
No editing needed, Matt. Brings back great memories. Can't wait for UWC 2012.

John

Nick from PA
01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
It looks like I'll actually be able to go this year. Looking forward to meeting you folks in person!

Nick

OldePhart
01-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Or...at least...for all the Asians... :biglaugh:

BTW, I had a PM from someone who was not amused and thought this was going too far. I think that any of you who actually know me realize I was poking fun at myself and at the stereotype about Caucasians not being able to tell Asians apart; still, I thought maybe it was appropriate if I point out that I was not saying in any way, shape, or form that Asians really all look alike - I would never go there - my momma raised me better than that.

I think, I hope, that the rest of you were poking fun at me, too.

BTW, I really was dazzled at UWC - I'm lousy at faces and names at the best of times and I couldn't name but a handful of the people who were there. If I didn't spend at least 30 minutes talking to you last year I'm probably going to call you by someone else's name regardless of your ethnic heritage! LOL

John

salukulady
01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
John, your humor was understood by me and at least three Asians I know that were in attendance at UWC 2012. No harm, no foul.

UncleElvis
01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the video, Matt... so happymaking.

And OldPhart? What I love about this place is that offense was called - in private - apology made... and that's the end of it, no drama. In how many online communities does that happen? *grin*
Thanks for keeping it classy.

GOD, I miss UWC!

itsscottwilder
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
BTW, I had a PM from someone who was not amused and thought this was going too far. I think that any of you who actually know me realize I was poking fun at myself and at the stereotype about Caucasians not being able to tell Asians apart; still, I thought maybe it was appropriate if I point out that I was not saying in any way, shape, or form that Asians really all look alike - I would never go there - my momma raised me better than that.

BTW, I really was dazzled at UWC - I'm lousy at faces and names at the best of times and I couldn't name but a handful of the people who were there. If I didn't spend at least 30 minutes talking to you last year I'm probably going to call you by someone else's name regardless of your ethnic heritage! LOL

John

I'm asian and I was deeply wounded.

Not!!!

I got the joke immediately. I crack asian jokes all the time. I work at a place where I'm the only asian. In Indiana it's just a fact there there isn't a huge asian population.

If I had one complaint about the UU forums it's that there's really a bunch of people here who get worked up really easy.

UncleElvis
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm asian and I was deeply wounded.

Not!!!

I got the joke immediately. I crack asian jokes all the time. I work at a place where I'm the only asian. In Indiana it's just a fact there there isn't a huge asian population.

If I had one complaint about the UU forums it's that there's really a bunch of people here who get worked up really easy.

There are a few, but the percentage is WAY less than almost every single other place I've been to on the internet.
I have to say almost because there's one forum I used to go to that was only about 40 people and we all got along very well. Other than that, the number of troublemakers and knee-jerk reactionists is the lowest I've seen.

YogaJen
01-30-2012, 12:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lMswtbl0OI&list=UUjdoYlSpWgMzA-evKaOtJsQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Just posted this on YT. No editing of any kind, but if you'd like to linger in the moment, it might be worth it...

Just saw your video come up on YT Matt. Ahhhh, so good to be transported back to that field, the sounds and the faces of friends. A week ago it might have been unbearable to watch - I didn't think I could possibly make it this year. But as of 2 days ago, count me in, I have my ticket, and I'm a very happy little vegemite. Cant' wait to see folks and jam and make sweet harmony.
Be seeing y'all in June :)

Ukulelerob
01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Just saw your video come up on YT Matt. Ahhhh, so good to be transported back to that field, the sounds and the faces of friends. A week ago it might have been unbearable to watch - I didn't think I could possibly make it this year. But as of 2 days ago, count me in, I have my ticket, and I'm a very happy little vegemite. Cant' wait to see folks and jam and make sweet harmony.

This is great news Jen. UWC would not be quite complete the with out our Jenny.

Mandarb
01-30-2012, 03:50 AM
It looks like I'll actually be able to go this year. Looking forward to meeting you folks in person!

Nick

Glad you are going to be able to make it Nick. Congrats on the new YouTube channel as well.

Nick from PA
01-30-2012, 03:58 AM
Glad you are going to be able to make it Nick. Congrats on the new YouTube channel as well.

Thank you, sir. I look forward to staying sober with you the whole weekend. :)

hoosierhiver
01-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Great video Matt!

RyRod
01-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Anyone else going from Michigan?

Well southeast.... actually from anywhere on the route to Indiana?

Steedy
01-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Has anyone stayed in the Lodge or cabins at Brown County State Park? Would that be fairly close to Nashville and to the UWC site?

OldePhart
01-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Woohoo! Good news. And cheese for lunch!

prancingponymusic
01-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Greetings I am working on trying to pull off another Brown County Uku festival in Nashville like I did in 2010. It will be on Sunday the 3rd. Last year I got hit with an insurance issue at the last minute and had to put the plug...But I have that covered this year so...Like I said I'm working on it.
If you have any questions drop me a line at
prancing_pony_agency@yahoo.com

itsscottwilder
01-31-2012, 06:04 AM
So in a sense UWC and the BCUF would overlap.

That could be cool. Or it could be confusing.

Pueo
01-31-2012, 06:16 AM

Thank you for sharing, so nice to be back there, if only for moment. It looks so nice, not at all like it's 100 degrees with 100% humidity ahahahahahahhha

musicmonsterw
01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
And there was Ronin....

I'm not Asian.

ukeeku
01-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm not Asian.
oh, right.... you are Canadian. her bad

musicmonsterw
01-31-2012, 08:01 AM

John

To be honest, I think any group that one is not familiar with all look alike. My mother, who is Asian, could not tell white actors apart from each other. To her, any short white male who overacted was called 'Mickey Rooney.'

I wouldn't worry about a thing, Bill.

(okay, sorry, John, really bad joke but you set me up for it...)

musicmonsterw
01-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Thank you, sir. I look forward to staying sober with you the whole weekend. :)

Awesome, you two sober guys can make sure I survive each night.

musicmonsterw
01-31-2012, 08:06 AM
oh, right.... you are Canadian. her bad

It's a running joke. Even my parents thought I wasn't Asian. My mother's ranting always had the phrase "You are not Chinese" in there somewhere.

OldePhart
01-31-2012, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about a thing, Bill.

(okay, sorry, John, really bad joke but you set me up for it...)

Hey, I'll answer to just about anything but "late for dinner"

DeG
01-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Greetings I am working on trying to pull off another Brown County Uku festival in Nashville like I did in 2010. It will be on Sunday the 3rd. Last year I got hit with an insurance issue at the last minute and had to put the plug...But I have that covered this year so...Like I said I'm working on it.
If you have any questions drop me a line at
prancing_pony_agency@yahoo.com

Missed you last year, the BCUF was a lot of fun in 2010. I'm definitely up for this again... :)

salukulady
01-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Missed you last year, the BCUF was a lot of fun in 2010. I'm definitely up for this again... :)

Yes prancing pony, let us know asap. Many of us that are flying in from out of state added an extra day to our trips last year because we didn't want to miss it. Totally understand why you had to cancel, hoping it's on this year so we have a great reason to fly home Monday instead of Sunday. An extra day of ukulele is always welcome.

prancingponymusic
02-01-2012, 02:43 AM
So in a sense UWC and the BCUF would overlap.

That could be cool. Or it could be confusing.

Not really an over lap. Think of it as a chance to go to Nashville and play a bit, pick up more supplies and head back, or head home depending on your plans

hoosierhiver
02-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Yes prancing pony, let us know asap. Many of us that are flying in from out of state added an extra day to our trips last year because we didn't want to miss it. Totally understand why you had to cancel, hoping it's on this year so we have a great reason to fly home Monday instead of Sunday. An extra day of ukulele is always welcome.

Grumpy's Sunday night party was pretty awesome.

Mandarb
02-01-2012, 04:13 AM

Agreed! It was one of the highlights for me.

CoLmes
02-01-2012, 04:14 AM

Sunday parties should be a tradition

musicmonsterw
02-01-2012, 04:45 AM

Awesome doesn't begin to describe it. So much music and good vibes.

CoLmes
02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
I remember me, ronin and dom were heading to the bathroom at the same time but we jammed outside of it for like 2 hours instead.

musicmonsterw
02-01-2012, 05:13 AM
I remember me, ronin and dom were heading to the bathroom at the same time but we jammed outside of it for like 2 hours instead.

That's etched in my mind. Great times!

salukulady
02-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I remember me, ronin and dom were heading to the bathroom at the same time but we jammed outside of it for like 2 hours instead. Nothing like the scent of an outhouse to get your creative juices flowing.

itsscottwilder
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
newbie question:

What the food and drink situation?

Everyone brings their own? Everyone contributes to a shared meal?

Just want to be prepared.

YogaJen
02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5uGDwFPy4

A few more memories of 2011 .... waiting in that increeeeeeeeeedible heat for the UWC Class of 2011 group photo !
Off to work now ... aloha :)

DeG
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Yeah, "Grumpy's party" was almost as awesome as "Tookta's UWC"... :p
LOL

CoLmes
02-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Lol I like how you put that.

DeG
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm mean, it was his suggestion and all, but I was staying there too, and invited half the people at least...I think, at least it should be remembered in UWC legends as "Grumpy's, and that other guy's, party" ;)

CoLmes
02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm mean, it was his suggestion and all, but I was staying there too, and invited half the people at least...I think, at least it should be remembered in UWC legends as "Grumpy's, and that other guy's, party" ;)

I understand your pain, and it will forever be known at Grump's and DeG's party.

musicmonsterw
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I understand your pain, and it will forever be known at Grump's and DeG's party.

Make it so.

salukulady
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I understand your pain, and it will forever be known at Grump's and DeG's party.Who's DeG?

That Duncan guys party was a blast.

ms. dktoller
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
newbie question:

What the food and drink situation?

Everyone brings their own? Everyone contributes to a shared meal?

Just want to be prepared.

I believe Fri nite is potluck, then Sat. Mike had some grilled eats for sale, but in general people bring their own (think smoky joes and camp stoves). Lots of shared snacks on the tables underneath the big tent. Anyone want to confirm? My memories of that weekend are a little fuzzy. ;)

As for alcoholic beverages, there were plenty of those, but most brought their own. Mike's been able to score some free kegs the past couple of years and there were a few buckets full of ice and beer/soda/water. It was really hot last year, bring extra water just in case!

misterpk
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
There was moonshine as well! I remember having some the night it rained. One wasn't that good and the other was amazing. I don't remember who served me what though! :)

CoLmes
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
As for alcoholic beverages, there were plenty of those, but most brought their own. Mike's been able to score some free kegs the past couple of years and there were a few buckets full of ice and beer/soda/water. It was really hot last year, bring extra beer just in case!

Fixed it for you

OldePhart
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Fixed it for you

Actually, while various adult beverages are certainly more fun than water, anything with alcohol in it is really the last thing you want to drink at the peak of a hot day. Alcohol both raises body temperature and blocks hydration (hangovers, BTW, are mostly just dehydration). I always get a chuckle when I hear somebody say something like, "geez it's hot out here; hey Joe, toss me another beer!"

So, save yer serious drinking for the evening when you can enjoy it! LOL

thomdawg
02-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Grumpys party was grand... and so was DeG's ice box (!), was it just a blurrrrrrrrr! Thanks a ton to Matt and Yogajen for those videos! The videos of the partys can bring back the most memorys! Group hug to everybody.... I can't wait!

salukulady
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Actually, while various adult beverages are certainly more fun than water, anything with alcohol in it is really the last thing you want to drink at the peak of a hot day. Alcohol both raises body temperature and blocks hydration (hangovers, BTW, are mostly just dehydration). I always get a chuckle when I hear somebody say something like, "geez it's hot out here; hey Joe, toss me another beer!"

So, save yer serious drinking for the evening when you can enjoy it! LOLIt's always 5 o'clock at UWC.

chindog
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
It's always 5 o'clock at UWC.

So, if I get there late, I really won't be late? Cool!!!

salukulady
02-08-2012, 01:52 PM
So, if I get there late, I really won't be late? Cool!!!Just bring beer and you'll be right on time.

DeG
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
It's always 5 o'clock at UWC.

UWC 2012 T-shirt potential...

OldePhart
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
UWC 2012 T-shirt potential...

Heh, heh. Along with, "Gee it's hot, Joe, toss me another beer..."

hoosierhiver
02-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Yup, Friday potluck for sure. The grill will be back too. If anyone missed it on the other thread, Brown County Inn is offering a UWC package this year. http://www.browncountyinn.com/content/uwc-2012

musicmonsterw
02-10-2012, 05:39 AM

So, save yer serious drinking for the evening when you can enjoy it! LOL

Yes, I agree! Drink seriously in the evening.

salukulady
02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes, I agree! Drink seriously in the evening.
I've always taken pride in the fact that I'm a serious drinker, night and day.

gnordenstam
02-11-2012, 06:52 AM
So that's what they mean when they say, "Let's get serious."

Dominator
02-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Yup, Friday potluck for sure. The grill will be back too. If anyone missed it on the other thread, Brown County Inn is offering a UWC package this year. http://www.browncountyinn.com/content/uwc-2012

Mike, thanks for following through on this. I didn't realize it was already done. Thank you sir.

YogaJen
02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh noz, I can't make it. I've just finished planning my holidays for 2012 and now I know I can't be there.
So unfortunately I won't see you all again this year. Hopefully though in the next!!

Aaawwww no, Dirk, I was really hoping to see you again :(
Fingers crossed for another time :)

YogaJen
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zECtk0gUifY

I went to last UWC with my Mainland mahogany soprano uke. Came home from last UWC with not one but two more ukes - my fabulous Mainland Banjo-uke, and a 50s vintage Kamaka - Thomdawg gave it a test run for me, caught on this video.
All 3 ukes have been great pals throughout the year.

I am sooooooooooooo looking forward to UWC 2012.

Cheers one and all from Jen in Oz :)

Pondoro
02-12-2012, 04:14 AM
June 2nd is my wife's and my 33rd wedding anniversary. She doesn't play the uke but she has stated that I must attend the conference. She is a saint and I think we will celebrate our "33-1/3" wedding anniversary later in the year.

Ukulelerob
02-12-2012, 04:45 AM
June 2nd is my wife's and my 33rd wedding anniversary. She doesn't play the uke but she has stated that I must attend the conference. She is a saint and I think we will celebrate our "33-1/3" wedding anniversary later in the year.

She sounds like a "keeper".

salukulady
02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
June 2nd is my wife's and my 33rd wedding anniversary. She doesn't play the uke but she has stated that I must attend the conference. She is a saint and I think we will celebrate our "33-1/3" wedding anniversary later in the year.hey, you've had 32 of those....there's only been 3 UWC's.

dktoller
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the clips YogaJen. Glad to hear you'll be back, but you're getting me all worked up for June and it's still only February!

ADD
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Agreed! It was one of the highlights for me.

It was the icing on an already deliciously wonderful cake!

ADD
02-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Wow, that's a nice package. Stayed there last year and cost me a lot more. I did stay 2 days more but even then, it would have been a big savings.

Mim
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Man... was trying not to think about it... but seeing this thread is getting my revvved up to go again! Camping this year. Kinda excited about it. My brother was setting his date for his wedding and actually called to make sure the date did not "mess with your uke thing"! I am bringing the legendary lime green tacky piece of crap van and sleeping in it!

ADD
02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Man... was trying not to think about it... but seeing this thread is getting my revvved up to go again! Camping this year. Kinda excited about it. My brother was setting his date for his wedding and actually called to make sure the date did not "mess with your uke thing"! I am bringing the legendary lime green tacky piece of crap van and sleeping in it!

What a sweet, considerate brother! The day can't come soon enough. Been thinking about you and your new house and shop. Hope all is going well, Mim.

myrnaukelele
02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
This is planning way ahead- I'll be visiting my sister in Normal IL prior to the festival and would like to find a ride to and from UWC 2012. PM me if you'll be going and can take a rider. Thanks! myrnaukelele

ukeeku
02-15-2012, 03:41 PM
This is planning way ahead- I'll be visiting my sister in Normal IL prior to the festival and would like to find a ride to and from UWC 2012. PM me if you'll be going and can take a rider. Thanks! myrnaukelele
I am going over thursday and coming home Sunday. If that works you have a ride.

hoosierhiver
02-16-2012, 04:41 AM
I am bringing the legendary lime green tacky piece of crap van and sleeping in it!

...........down by the river.

My neighbor just told me she invited Eddie V.

OldePhart
02-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Hmmm, I'm thinking some of our talented graphics artist types could bring some spray paint and give that van the watermelon treatment... Then you could play a Kala watermelon uke in your watermelon van...

Just an idea...

John

Ukulelerob
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
The last timer I was at the field, the power company had bulldozed the creek.

I have faith in mother nature though. If there is supposed to be a creek by Plum Creek Road, then there will probably be a creek sooner or later again.

salukulady
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

I have faith in mother nature though. If there is supposed to be a creek by Plum Creek Road, then there will probably be a creek sooner or later again.There's a creek? I don't remember any creek. Of course many things are fuzzy.....

musicmonsterw
02-16-2012, 10:50 AM
There's a creek? I don't remember any creek. Of course many things are fuzzy.....

It's best that they stay that way. Trust me... But if you're ever curious, I have photos... for a price.

salukulady
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
It's best that they stay that way. Trust me... But if you're ever curious, I have photos... for a price.

I shall not be held accountable for my actions at UWC. That blasted humidity fried my hard drive.

dktoller
02-17-2012, 08:29 AM

I have faith in mother nature though. If there is supposed to be a creek by Plum Creek Road, then there will probably be a creek sooner or later again.

Oh no, that's tragic! That was one of my favorite spots... butterflies, geodes, crawfish. The kids are gonna be bummed.

hoosierhiver
02-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh no, that's tragic! That was one of my favorite spots... butterflies, geodes, crawfish. The kids are gonna be bummed.

They just "re-vamped" a spot where a telephone pole was being eroded away, no biggie.

UncleElvis
02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Is it ok to steal a geode? I'm collecting things to inlay in my future custom ukulele and it just hit me that I need something from uwc

seeso
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Is it ok to steal a geode? I'm collecting things to inlay in my future custom ukulele and it just hit me that I need something from uwc

Yes, but you must leave a finger or toe in its place.

stevepetergal
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM

(2) I have heard that the huge Harley club is sometimes in Nashville that weekend. Is that true in 2012? If so, do they hog all the B&Bs, drink all the booze out of the IGA, and would a Fez-wearing, ukulele player with a bellyful of Pabst Blue Ribbons, who's all juiced up from playing "Tiny Bubbles" on your stage, get his belly slit by the Hells Angels if he staggered into Nashville? LOL

Bikers HOG the B&Bs... I get it.

UncleElvis
02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes, but you must leave a finger or toe in its place.

Cool! C'mere for a sec, Seese. I need to borrow you for a sec.

What? Knife? What knife?

beeejums
02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I haven't been on uu for months, but I'll be at uwc. I might have even talked Mrs. Beeejums into comimg with me.

myrnaukelele
02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I am going over thursday and coming home Sunday. If that works you have a ride.
Thanks ukeeku~ so nice of you to offer. I'll PM you a couple weeks before UWC to let you know if I'm still in need of a ride.

Mim
02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
The more I think about it the more excited I get. So So So So So excited to go this year! I was excited to go last year! But now that I know first hand the awesomeness that is UWC... I am beside myself. AND... I will hopefully live 2.5 hours closer. Eeeeeeeek!

OldePhart
02-24-2012, 06:57 AM
... I am beside myself...

Ahh...that 'splains it...I thought you had a twin...

musicmonsterw
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Ahh...that 'splains it...I thought you had a twin...

...groan... (hee hee)

PoisonDart
02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Shani and I will be camping on site, for the 4th year in a row. I can't wait to see lovely brown county, and all you fantastic ukers again.

Hopefully anyone who doesn't like hippies will be scared off by my ponytail and her dreadlocks before they wreck the love buzz that makes UWC one of the biggest highlights of my year.

OldePhart
02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Shani and I will be camping on site, for the 4th year in a row. I can't wait to see lovely brown county, and all you fantastic ukers again.

Hopefully anyone who doesn't like hippies will be scared off by my ponytail and her dreadlocks before they wreck the love buzz that makes UWC one of the biggest highlights of my year.

Heh, heh. Gots no problem with hippies - I'd probably be one but I'm too lazy to deal with caring for long hair. I started to go the long gray pony tail route but gave up when my hair got a bit over my collar and I realized I'd have to actually comb it and stuff. Then I thought about shaving my head and realized that look is a lot of work, too. Now I just grab the clippers and buzz it whenever it gets long enough to need combing. LOL

My sister is a lot older than me and when I was little she was a full-blown, commune-living, flowered VW bus driving hippy. I was only about ten or twelve at the time but I remember being amused that all of her "non-conforming" friends were as alike as peas in a pod. She wasn't amused when I asked her one day why, if her friends were bent on non-conforming, they all wore exactly the same outfits and had long hair and beards. :) I guess even at that age I tended to be a bit of a smart...uh...aleck.

Ahh, if only I'd been old enough to enjoy the sixties...

John

didgeridoo2
02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Heh, heh. Gots no problem with hippies - I'd probably be one but I'm too lazy to deal with caring for long hair. I started to go the long gray pony tail route but gave up when my hair got a bit over my collar and I realized I'd have to actually comb it and stuff. Then I thought about shaving my head and realized that look is a lot of work, too. Now I just grab the clippers and buzz it whenever it gets long enough to need combing. LOL

My sister is a lot older than me and when I was little she was a full-blown, commune-living, flowered VW bus driving hippy. I was only about ten or twelve at the time but I remember being amused that all of her "non-conforming" friends were as alike as peas in a pod. She wasn't amused when I asked her one day why, if her friends were bent on non-conforming, they all wore exactly the same outfits and had long hair and beards. :) I guess even at that age I tended to be a bit of a smart...uh...aleck.

Ahh, if only I'd been old enough to enjoy the sixties...

John
Ha Ha! That's how I felt about the punk community in college back in the 80s. A bunch of non-conforming individuals wanting me to join their group because I wore Doc Martens and looked cool. Turned me into a hippie...

PoisonDart
02-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Not that I'm a hippie, just to clarify. That's not going nearly far enough.

dirk.li
02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, I've just changed my mind... I will be there!! Yeehaw!!

I'm now planning how to get there. OMG, I miss you all!!!!

salukulady
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Not that I'm a hippie, just to clarify. That's not going nearly far enough.Well, I am a hippy, I just don't look like one.

salukulady
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, I've just changed my mind... I will be there!! Yeehaw!!

I'm now planning how to get there. OMG, I miss you all!!!!

AWESOME Dirk! I can't wait to see you again and your cut offs. Best. Shorts. Ever!!!!

dirk.li
03-01-2012, 01:21 AM
AWESOME Dirk! I can't wait to see you again and your cut offs. Best. Shorts. Ever!!!!

Hahaha, this time I'll make sure to BRING shorts and not make them. Hmm... or maybe we could introduce "the making of shorts" as an official UWC ritual??? *lol*

salukulady
03-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Hahaha, this time I'll make sure to BRING shorts and not make them. Hmm... or maybe we could introduce "the making of shorts" as an official UWC ritual??? *lol*
I'll pack my scissors!

kevinskrull
03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
One quick question. It's my first year. Do we have to buy tickets or can we just show up? Looking forward to meeting you all. UWC looks awesome!

Ukulelerob
03-05-2012, 09:44 AM
One quick question. It's my first year. Do we have to buy tickets or can we just show up? Looking forward to meeting you all. UWC looks awesome!

No tickets. Our host Mike (Hoosier Hiver) is having us come on down for a few days.

salukulady
03-05-2012, 09:12 PM
One quick question. It's my first year. Do we have to buy tickets or can we just show up? Looking forward to meeting you all. UWC looks awesome!Bring money for the raffle. Help support the cause and win some goodies. Bring your own food and drink, Mike generously donates a BBQ for all to use.

Colonel Uke
03-07-2012, 12:26 AM

No tickets needed. The event and camping are free, most people will tend to share food, potluck style or cook their own. There is a raffle with great door prizes if you want to buy tickets while you're there. (most people do)

Boozelele
03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Yes. UWC... I seem to remember something about this....lots of cool people....music.....and liquor, right? Ok, I'll be there.

coolkayaker1
03-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Can someone who knows Greg Hawkes invite him to UWC. Thanks.

CoLmes
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Can someone who knows Greg Hawkes invite him to UWC. Thanks.

Along with his brother, Mike Hawk.

ukeeku
03-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Along with his brother, Mike Hawk.
did he start Uke Hunt?

coolkayaker1
03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
did he start Uke Hunt?

No, that was Jack Mehoff and Harry Bottoms.

ukeeku
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I have a real question. Last year I burned a uke in the fire. it deserved it, trust me. I have another that needs to be put to death. Does anybody else want to join me in ritual sacrifice to the uke gods? We can cleanse the earth of some bad ukes.
I take the tuners and strings off, so you know.

Pondoro
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a real question. Last year I burned a uke in the fire. it deserved it, trust me. I have another that needs to be put to death. Does anybody else want to join me in ritual sacrifice to the uke gods? We can cleanse the earth of some bad ukes.
I take the tuners and strings off, so you know.

My daughter got me a free uke, that was for sale in a book store, with a book on how to play. No one bought it and I am glad, as the uke is pure garbage. But I am thinking of covering it with pieces of broken glass, glued on as a mosaic.

ukeeku
03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
My daughter got me a free uke, that was for sale in a book store, with a book on how to play. No one bought it and I am glad, as the uke is pure garbage. But I am thinking of covering it with pieces of broken glass, glued on as a mosaic.

Theeeen we burns it?:biglaugh:

OldePhart
03-15-2012, 05:42 PM
You guys are missing a great opportunity. You should always keep a really, really horrible uke with you any time you play in public. Then, if anyone disparages your playing, hand them that uke and say, here, would you like to have a go? ;)

coolkayaker1
03-16-2012, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eh2KPGBHMM

More fun than burning.

thomdawg
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Hey Tim.... I'd like to help with the burning!! We smashed a guitar at the start of the first Whole Earth Nuclear Ukulele Orchestra! It was a blast!

ukeeku
03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey Tim.... I'd like to help with the burning!! We smashed a guitar at the start of the first Whole Earth Nuclear Ukulele Orchestra! It was a blast!
Are you going to burn a guitar or a uke?

Colonel Uke
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know if there's going to be a logo/poster contest for UWC this year?

ukeeku
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know if there's going to be a logo/poster contest for UWC this year?

Not to my knowledge,m but if you have an idea, send it to mike at Mainland

salukulady
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
How could last years logo be topped? I still want a t-shirt.

thomdawg
03-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Hey Tim.... I'm gonna help you, I'll burn a stick and dance around as you toss the uku... of cource if I run into a mercy killer of a uke, I'll bring it along! You want me to burn one of my drums! The fire grows!!!!!!

Wooville
03-29-2012, 05:43 AM
The 2nd Annual John Hartford Festival May 31st - June 2nd. Nearby!

Captain_Lovehandles
03-29-2012, 07:41 AM
How could last years logo be topped? I still want a tuna sandwich.

No contest. Mike contacted me and it's in the works. The art should be finished in a week or so and it's looking pretty cool, IMHO.

I agree a tuna sandwich would be nice.

salukulady
03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
No contest. Mike contacted me and it's in the works. The art should be finished in a week or so and it's looking pretty cool, IMHO.

I agree a tuna sandwich would be nice.
Wait, what? Okay, I'll bring the mayo.

OldePhart
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Wait, what? Okay, I'll bring the mayo.

YogaJen can bring the cheese...you do want cheese on your tuna sandwich, right?

salukulady
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
YogaJen can bring the cheese...you do want cheese on your tuna sandwich, right?From Jenn I want a hug and a tim tam.

UncleElvis
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
From Jenn I want a hug and a tim tam.

OMG! I hadn't thought of that! TIMTAM SLAM AT UWC!

salukulady
03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
OMG! I hadn't thought of that! TIMTAM SLAM AT UWC!I had my very first tim tam at Grumpy's party last year. Jenn brought them. There was a package sitting on the table with one remaining biscuit in it.

chindog
03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I had my very first tim tam at Grumpy's party last year. Jenn brought them. There was a package sitting on the table with one remaining biscuit in it.

I see you've learned the lingo!!

I can't seem to book reservations online at the Brown County Inn with the UWC rates. Do I just need to call them? Anyone know?