Wood Identification - Rosewood?

Vic D

Reaction score
A guy sent me this photo of a piece he wants to trade for my arrowhead collection. He says it came from South America. He said it gives a rosewood scent. Figured Honduran? It's 6" x 26" x 1" to 1-1/2". He said that figure runs throughout the piece.

View attachment 28865

I think it is firestone....

From what ive found out on the web it's a genetic condition of some trees..I could be wrong tho' co's i'm no expert..this is a Redwood tree with similar curls.
curlywoodcopy.jpg

It's definitely rosewood. Cuts like rosewood, smells like rosewood, zero pores and rings like a bell. And no that's not mineral spirits wiped on them, I started licking them and couldn't stop... tastes like rosewood too. The guy said the board had been air drying since the 70s when his brother brought it back from South America. It has the some of the pinks and browns of the Honduran I've worked with. The two on the right are still rough cut and the one on the left I got down fairly close to 80grit before the sandpaper belt loaded up and started smoking.

Three sopranos that'll have spruce tops, maybe one with western cedar, custom inlay and mahogany necks. They should be done a few weeks before xmas... everyone knows I'm slow as xmas.

View attachment 29227

Top Bottom