Luthier Research Project

Maxjunk

Reaction score
Aloha everyone!

I'm in college right now, and I've got a project researching a career of my choice, and I have chosen luthiering! I need to compile at least two interviews in the process, and since there's a giant group of luthiers right here on UU, I decided I'd give you guys and girls a shot.

I am looking for any professional luthiers of any instrument to interview over Skype, a messenger, a phone call, or any other way you like. I can have as many interviews as I want included in this project, and I'd like to get as many voices and perspectives as possible, so I'd like to interview ANY luthier who wants to be interviewed!

The only requirement to be included in the actual project is that you are a professional luthier, so you have to either do it for a living or make a large sum of your income from luthiering.

Also, if anyone here knows a professional luthier (of any instrument, not just uke!) who might be willing to be interviewed, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could hook me up! The interview will consist of a series of general questions, why/ how you got into it, and other basic things so I can get a good picture of how difficult being a luthier is, what it is like, and how to become one.

The interview has to be sometime in the next week or two, and I have a flexible schedule for this. If there is any chance anyone here knows a luthier in Michigan, it would be fantastic, as I need at least one face-to-face interview.

Thank ya for reading! :)

Last edited:
I don't know where you are in MI, but I would interview this guy
http://davetalsma.com
and there is a great maker, Jerry Hoffman, in New Haven MO (Boat paddle ukes) that is also super awesome to talk to.
I hope that helps.

I don't know where you are in MI, but I would interview this guy
http://davetalsma.com
and there is a great maker, Jerry Hoffman, in New Haven MO (Boat paddle ukes) that is also super awesome to talk to.
I hope that helps.

Dave is great, he made my uke and he's in Swartz Creek, just west of Flint. There is also Gary Zimnicki in Allen Park.

Go visit in person - it's what I did in 1976 and it had a profound effect on me talking to Michael Sprake who could cut a lute rosette in an hour and a half and meeting with Peter Sensier who built South American Style instruments!

Last edited:
I'm definitely planning on meeting as many luthiers in person as I can.

And thank you guys! I'm going to send an email to Gary Zimnicki, he's about a 30 minutes drive. Unfortunately, Dave Talsma is too far away for me.

I just went over and saw Gary Zimnicki tonight, he's a really nice guy. I got a great interview out of him and his instruments sound fantastic.

Cool! I'm glad it worked out for you.

I've had the chance to talk to him for a little bit and he is a nice guy.

His instruments are great as well, especially when Rob Borrassa plays them.

Top Bottom