Oh Bother! Another string question

hibiscus

Reaction score
I would like my Mainland Pineapple Mahogany and Mango Soprano to sound different from each other, even more than they do. They both have aquilas on them now. Any suggestions?
I would like the Mahogany mellow and the Mango sweet and light. They are headed that way already. . .
Thank you very much!

My suggestion:

Mahog: go with Ko'olau Gold or Alohi
Mango: run with a fluouro, maybe Orcas or Fremont Blacklines

I would like my Mainland Pineapple Mahogany and Mango Soprano to sound different from each other, even more than they do. . .

I'd be a little cautious with that approach. Just keep in mind that the most important thing is that they both sound good! Poi's suggestion may work for "different sound", but "good sound" might very well be the opposite.

This is why people have ukuleles in different sizes. They'll naturally sound different without having to try to push them in that direction with strings.

I've only played uke a few months - the only strings I've tried other than Aquilas are Worth clears, on a cheap laminate Kala tenor. They sounded and felt great - a little brighter and thinner than the Aquilas, but still a full, rich sound.

No bother. I love to think about ukulele strings. I'd say put nice nylon strings on the mahogany pineapple for mellowness (Ko'olau Mahana and Kamaka are my faves) and nice fluorocarbon strings (Southcoast (Light or Medium Gauge), Fremont Black, and Martin all sounded nice on my ukes) on the mango soprano for a lighter sound.

Have fun!

Oh my! What a lot of choices;) I'll probably keep aquilas on one of them anyway. I was expecting to hear more about Worth's for some reason.
Any more suggestions? (I do have to say they both sound terrific right now).
Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom