Kanile'a K1 satin tenor vs aNueNue O'ahu tenor

PoiDog

Reaction score
I figured this would be the more appropriate thread for these pics, impressions, etc. than the "Buying Tips" section.

Anyway, there's really no need for me to try and "review" the Kanile'a, because others have already done so way better than I ever could think of doing. Instead, I'm going to show a couple of pictures, and briefly compare it to my other koa tenor, the aNueNue O'ahu, since that would be a much more apples-to-apples comparison than if I used the concert sized bamboo, or a laminate.

Before I begin, I have to say I absolutely adore this Kanile'a. It just feels like a real instrument, built with care and attention, and meant for a lifetime of enjoyment.

Okay, that said, it's time for me to get to business. The first thing I noticed about the Kanile'a compared to the aNuenue is how just how much better the Kanile'a is put together. It's not that the aNueNue is slapped together in a haphazard way, but the Kanile'a just feels more solid - like it was shaped, put together, and finished by someone's hands. I don't know if the aNueNue is factory made or not. I wouldn't be any more surprised to learn that it is than I would be to learn that it was handmade, because there is nothing at all that would indicate sloppy workmanship. But the Kanile'a is just a quantuum leap of differnce in feel. And that isn't surprising, because being almost completely handcrafted by people who take a lot of pride in their work should feel incredible.

As far as looks go, both are really just beautiful. The aNueNue has a semi-gloss finish, so that the wood pitting is still there, but it also has a shine. The Kanile'a has no shine at all, being the satin finish.

comp.jpg

Texturally, the satin finish of the Kanile'a feels better to the touch. The aNueNue feels a bit slick and varnishy (I shudder to think of what high-gloss finished ukes feel like), but visually, the aNueNue's shine looks much prettier. But aside from the pretty and textural difference, I can't place one above the other in terms of materials, because they both have absolutely gorgeous wood. Both have bookmatched backs in which the grain aligns almost perfectly, and both have a really nice grain pattern and color spectrum.

back comp.jpg

The only area n construction where the Kanile'a compares poorly is in how the okole seam is matched. The grain pattern on the aNueNue is almost a dead-perfect match, while the Kanile'a is off.

okole comp.jpg

When holding the instruments two things are immediately apparent: first, the Kanile'a is much heavier overall. That isn't too surprising, though, since the body feels thicker. I don't have a caliper, but by pinching the sounboard it just seems like the aNueNue is thinner by a bit, plus it appears that the Kanile'a has more bracing on the upper bout. The second thing that leaps out is that the Kanile'a neck is much thicker. Nut width is the same, but the Kanile'a has a really sturdy, deep neck.

neck comp.jpg

The last thing to compare is the sound. Now this isn't entirely an apples-to-apples comparison because the aNueNue is strung with low G and it is also now starting to open up and really find it's voice. And in this regard, as of right now, the aNueNue sounds far better to me. It has a clear, crisp, resonant, full, and complex sound that is really almost breathtaking sometimes. The Kanile'a, on the other hand, sounds almost muffled and seems like it's trying to break through an eggshell. Some notes, such as playing the C string open or through the first three or four frets, sound thuddy and dull. I noticed a bit of that when I was sampling it in the store, but I'm not overly concerned about it right now. After all, it's a new baby and needs time to loosen up and really begin to express itself. I also need to find out which strings really work with it. The stock Aquilas were okay, but not right. As soon as I got this home I slapped on a set of Worth browns, and while they'll take a few days to settle, they already sound better than the Aquilas. I may give Fremont Blacklines a try, as well as Orcas, but for now the Worths are staying and hopefully as I play this more and more it will begin to open and really sing. At least I sure hope so, or I may be offering this in the marketplace in about 6 months.

Oh, and once again I want to emphasize how good an experience I had getting this. George Kaye is a real standup guy and he definitely isn't out to make a quick buck. He runs his business the right way, so that he makes some money but the customer leaves happy. The $700 I paid for the Kanile'a wasn't because I was a shrewd negotioator or because it was a second or on some blowout sale. That was his everyday price. Seriously, if you are in the 818, 310, 626, or other nearby areas and are looking to pick up a new 'ukulele, or a guitar, this is the place to go. Especially if you're a Kala or Cordoba fan, becaue he's got a lot of them. Trust me on this, you won't be sorry.

Last edited:
Great review . . . Much Mahalos. BTW, any contact info for George Kaye? Name of store, web site, phone number, etc.

worth brown on kanile'a... too warm and mellow in my opinion. Suggest to try worth clear at least.

Southcoast mediums or heavies are wonderful on these kanileas.

Texturally, the satin finish of the Kanile'a feels better to the touch. The aNueNue feels a bit slick and varnishy (I shudder to think of what high-gloss finished ukes feel like)

You wouldn't say that if you held Lokahi. She has a buffed high gloss finish. The feel is 'quality,' kinda like a Steinway piano or something. The major brands will do to any line uke if you order it that way. It feeeels guud!! Don't worry about fingerprints either, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth once a week and it'll be fine. Maybe a little more often, if you play without a shirt on! :D

BTW, you sure got 2 nice ukes, and sounds like from a very reputable dealer. I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom