Good hard-shell orsemi-hard case for banjo uke?

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey, folks.

I have two banjo ukes- a 1920s Stella, and a 2011 Firefly. I've got the Flea gig bag for the Firefly, and am using a Cordoba tenor-size gig bag for the Stella at the moment. what I'd like is something a bit more substantial and protective. The closest thing I've seen at retail is an Epiphone style-A mandolin wood shell hard case. ($69, both at GC and at my local music store). I'd need a bit of padding, bu it looks like it might work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

-Kurt

Try Mike at Mainland Ukes. They have some nice hard cases to fit their concert sized new banjo ukes. Not sure yet if they have a hard case for the new soprano size they just rolled out.

+1 for this one. I got one for my Beansprout concert banjo-uke. I also have one of the Mainland concert banjo-uke hard cases and while the construction is fine it was sooooo stinky when I got it that I had to leave it open outside for a month. Maybe the glue or something? I have my Roy Smeck vita-uke in it now - with an odor absorbent pack to continue sucking out the smell. No such problems with the brown case.

I am VERY happy with the one that came with my Mainland Banjo Uke - and it is half the price of the Elderly one - I'd go with the one that you can personally pick up, so there isn't any shipping costs!

Mike would be able to give you the sizes his Banjo Uke cases will fit - as he has both Concert & Soprano Banjo Ukes now, I would assume he would have both sizes available.

Cheers

Roberta

+1 for this one. I got one for my Beansprout concert banjo-uke. I also have one of the Mainland concert banjo-uke hard cases and while the construction is fine it was sooooo stinky when I got it that I had to leave it open outside for a month. Maybe the glue or something? I have my Roy Smeck vita-uke in it now - with an odor absorbent pack to continue sucking out the smell. No such problems with the brown case.
I agree, the Mainland case has a very strong glue smell, but like my Fremont case, I am sure it will go away with time. The construction and quality on that case is very nice for the money. You really need to use a hard case for a floating bridge.

–Lori

Top Bottom