What would be considered a too tight case?

dredey

Reaction score
Is there a point where a hard case can be too tight/snug on a ukulele? I know cases are size specific tenor/concert etc..but is there such thing as too snug? Looking to get a fancy case for my wife's future concert as a gift.

Last edited:
First thing to realize is that standards for ukulele sizes are aproximate - there are always some variances. Add to that, the profiles - curves and such are always going to vary. If your wife's instrument has a case available from the manufacturer, at least you know you'll have a good fit.

If you want a better case than what the manufacturer offers, yes, because of those variances, "standard size" cases can sometimes be too tight. If you go that route, make sure you have a return option.

If you really want to go top of the line, Ameritage or Cedar Creek will do beautiful, custom fit cases.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to figure if I can't close the lid,the case is too tight.. <grin>.

Seriously, I think too loose is worse than too tight. of course you don't want it so tight where it damages the finish putting it in, or removing it. If it take any sort of force to push it into it, I would say that is too tight. I want it to lay in it, and be removed without having to apply force other then lifting it out. But again, I worry more in too loose. You don't want your instrument shifting around in the case because it can cause burns, or wear on the finish as it shifts around from being moved around, or travel. Also, damage to them can be caused not from external damage from bumps and drops, but damage from collisions inside of the case (the instrument slamming into the sides of the interior of the case) Your case could look fine from a drop, but ya open it up, and you have a cracked headstock, or body. So, I like them snug to limit the movement, but not so snug it take any force to pull it from the case.. Not sure if that helps, because of course like mentioned above, it is very specific with each instrument, and manufacture, style, etc.

Top Bottom