Strap Button for Idiots - HELP

Paul December

Reaction score
I'd like to install a strap button on the base of my Tenor Kala Acacia and would appreciate any Idiot-Proof instructions.
I've found some Utube vids, but they were all about adding the 2nd one to the neck (which I won't be doing).

Hey PD - I am a wimp. I also wanted to get a strap button added, but since my uke cost more that $15, didn't want to try it mybadself and didn't feel confident that my local shop could do it without causing at least angst and at most damage. So I took it back (literally) to the maker and they did the drilling for me. I'm glad I did.

My instructions would be simple: Go to the nearest luthier and pay him or her to install a strap button for you.

Make sure you have an 'end block' inside the bottom bout
(look in the soundhole with a torch and/or mirror!) IF you have,
its quite painless.I usually stick a small piece of masking tape
where I am going to put the button;this prevents any tool from
skidding off and marking the uke.A bradawl or any suitably sharp
pointed implement to make a starter or pilot hole.Follow with a
drill slightly smaller in diameter than the screw that will be used
to attach the button.Insert screw into button,use screwdriver
to start and when almost all the way in (so no danger of it either
falling out or moving sideways or anything)rip away the masking
tape.Drive screw all the way in,Voila! Job Done.I generally tie
the other end of the strap to the headstock with a bit of shoe
or boot lace!

Idiot proof instructions: take it to Guitar Center and have them install it for you. If you want to do it exactly the way I did, wear a low cut shirt and they probably won't even charge you for it. Then walk around the store with your acacia tenor and get complimented on the wood grain. You may or may not want to include "flirting with the case-checker" on your trip.

I didn't wear a low cut shirt, but I brought mine to a local music store that does repair work and they did it for $15 total, parts and labor.

make sure you have an 'end block' inside the bottom bout
(look in the soundhole with a torch and/or mirror!) if you have,
its quite painless.i usually stick a small piece of masking tape
where i am going to put the button;this prevents any tool from
skidding off and marking the uke.a bradawl or any suitably sharp
pointed implement to make a starter or pilot hole.follow with a
drill slightly smaller in diameter than the screw that will be used
to attach the button.insert screw into button,use screwdriver
to start and when almost all the way in (so no danger of it either
falling out or moving sideways or anything)rip away the masking
tape.drive screw all the way in,voila! Job done.i generally tie
the other end of the strap to the headstock with a bit of shoe
or boot lace!

drill baby drill !!!!!

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no such thing as "Idiot Proof Instructions.":D

I agree with the "go to a professional" comments. I take mine to my local Sam Ash and they put on 2 buttons (base and where the neck mets the body) for $15 including work and materials. Just takes a few minutes and as Austin1 mentioned, it gives you a chance to walk around the store and flirt with cool, musical people :)

Nix

I've done it four times and I echo Luthien's advice. Flirting is unlikely to work for me and I have been working with wood for many years and have spent too much money on tools to pay others to do a simple job. If you are unsure of your skills with a drill then get a pro to do it, but doing it yourself is not difficult.

My luthier put mine on the $10. Much cheaper than trying to do it myself!

Top Bottom