Bought a Flea

FlyedPiper

Reaction score
Just picked up a Flea natural concert on ebay.

$195 for the uke, bag and booklet and free shipping! I thought it was a steal (barring any unforeseen problems). Plus I don't have to wait as long.

The Makala tenor I've been playing has been driving me crazy. Not only is it not set up at all it's a tenor, and I feel a lot more comfortable with the concert size at this point.

I was starting to go days between practices, so hopefully this uke upgrade will put the fire back in me! Plus it will be a nice "beater" uke when I decide to upgrade further.

Anyway, just wanted to share in my excitement :). I don't have a lot of extra money to throw around and I've been waiting for months to get a new uke so this is exciting for me...

Good for you! I also bought a flea a few months back. I wanted something that I could strap onto my back and go. And I'm very impressed with the intonation and the bright sound. Enjoy! and play like a madman.

Congrats on your new uke. Good choice. I love the sweet sound of the Flea's. Had one, sold it, and have been hankering for another.

Congratulations. I recall my surprise at how well the fleas and flukes sound the first time I played one. I usually play high-end ukes but these are certainly well worth the money. I look for used ones going for a good price to loan to folks who show interest but cannot afford to buy one for themselves. You will enjoy it, I'm sure!

Allen

Thanks guys. Yeah, I wanted a concert uke that played well anyway (everyone I know that plays ukes has a concert), plus I wanted a uke I could take anywhere and play. So it's a win-win with the flea for me. Eventually I want to move up to a solid wood instrument and keep the flea for my travel uke, but I plan on having some fun with this one for a while first :).

Better uke and at the size you want........can't go wrong!!!!
Congratulations

Congratulations! I've never played a flea, but one of the gals in the band "Fallopian Tubes" plays one, and it sounds pretty good.

Good deal for you! I've been waiting for a pineapple and have also been thinking about a flea. Waiting a few weeks isn't too bad. Waiting 4+ months is a lot harder. Enjoy!

Shipped out Saturday. I wouldn't doubt if it showed up tomorrow. Beats waiting for fleamarket to make it then ship it :) 4+ months of waiting even after I bought the thing would be intolerable! Not sure if I could do that...

Shipped out Saturday. I wouldn't doubt if it showed up tomorrow. Beats waiting for fleamarket to make it then ship it :) 4+ months of waiting even after I bought the thing would be intolerable! Not sure if I could do that...

Just to clarify...The uke I'm waiting for isn't made by Fleamarket. I don't how long it takes to get one from Fleamarket.

Oh no! I looked on Ebay and there are lots of Fleas for me to drool over. I'll have to start being a very good boy and writing lots of letters to Santa!

Yeah I just got mine yesterday!

I'm impressed overall. The action is perfect. Sound quality is good and surprisingly full. Loud!

My only gripe is something someone mentioned somewhere else on the forum about the recessed soundboard causing a little ledge that digs into my arm when I play it. Oh well, a minor annoyance I'm sure I'll get used to.

The vendor "true joy acoustics" I'm particularly impressed with. $195 for the concert size, strung with aquilas, gig bag, booklet and chord chart... and free shipping! Only took 2 days. Very high marks there.

Yeah I just got mine yesterday!

I'm impressed overall. The action is perfect. Sound quality is good and surprisingly full. Loud!

My only gripe is something someone mentioned somewhere else on the forum about the recessed soundboard causing a little ledge that digs into my arm when I play it. Oh well, a minor annoyance I'm sure I'll get used to.

The vendor "true joy acoustics" I'm particularly impressed with. $195 for the concert size, strung with aquilas, gig bag, booklet and chord chart... and free shipping! Only took 2 days. Very high marks there.

Thanks for sharing. That's good info to know.

I LOVE my flea. It stays in tune so well and has a great, bright tone. I use it at the elementary school where I teach music. The kids love to sing along with it. They like the green color!

excellent I have both a fluke and flea - they sound great and travel well - great choice

The tenor neck is an option for the flea on the flea market music website.

In other words, the body is the same size no matter what model you get, a soprano body basically. However, it is much louder and more resonant soprano, due to the plastic backing. I refer to mine as a "super soprano", even though that's not entirely accurate.

I would look at flukes if you want a bigger body. The body is bigger but flatter than the flea, as far as I can tell.

Then again, once you get into those prices you can get into a nice solid bodied uke. Unless you want something for throwing in the back of the truck and going out to the bonfire party that is... and no need for a hard case or humidifier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom