PDA

View Full Version : Sound port question

finkdaddy
10-14-2011, 07:24 AM
I tried to find this info with the search feature, but didn't have any luck.

At what point in the building process should you cut the hole in the side for a sound port? Would you do it after the top and sides have been glued togeter but before the back is attached?

Also, is there a prefered method for cutting out the hole in the curved bout of the uke?

I'm building a kasha uke using the Hana Lima plans, so I'm having to guess at a few things.

~Fred

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I cut and finish my SSPs after the sides are bent and after the kerfings are on, but certainly before either the top or back is glued on. I glue a patch to the inside of the bout and also bind the SSP so this allows me full access to the interior in order to cleanly finish it before closing the box up. I cut the SSP with the same tool as I use with my inlay work; Dremel mounted in a StewMac base with a carbide spiral downcut bit, held in a bench vise. Great for doing the intricate patterns you sometimes see on SSPs.

finkdaddy
10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Thank you Chuck! For some reason I'm a bit nervous about doing it. By then there is so much time put into it that I'm scared to screw it up!;)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
You should be nervous. There are at least a couple of thousand different steps in the building process that are all opportunities for screwing up your work!
If you are squeamish at all you can start small by drilling a series of holes and sanding the interior of the port with a 1/2" sanding drum in a Dremel. You can also cut them with a rotary blade in a Dremel, followed with the drum sanding. I've used a hole cutter (or Forstner bit) mounted in a drill press before but I really don't do round SSPs any more and that's really not for the faint of heart! The method I described with the Dremel router really works well for me. Just be sure to clamp the side assembly in a bench vise (with soft jaws) before you start cutting.

Liam Ryan
10-14-2011, 11:21 AM
So Chuck, is the dremel held in the vise, or the uke side?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
You need the clamp the uke is some sort of fixture to keep it from getting away from you. You could probably clamp it to the edge of your bench but I use the vise because it's handy and works well. I used to just hold the uke between my knees but that would be the subject for a different thread!

Ronnie Aloha
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
You need the clamp the uke is some sort of fixture to keep it from getting away from you. You could probably clamp it to the edge of your bench but I use the vise because it's handy and works well. I used to just hold the uke between my knees but that would be the subject for a different thread!

Uh, did the Dremel ever slip while you held the uke between your knees?? : )

Doc_J
10-15-2011, 02:05 AM
When you design a ukulele with a SSP do you reduce the hole diameter on the sound board? I understand that the total opening area is related to the volume enclosed to have proper resonation.