Some Meranti Ukes

cclancy

Reaction score
Just to set the scene, where I live in Alice Springs is 2000 km's of desert Nth & Sth of any major city.
(And by the way, there's no spring here - it was just a puddle :D)

Although there is plenty of desert hardwood around it's all only in fingerboard size trunks.
Building material for this town of around 35000 is shipped, trucked & trained in from SE Asia.
And it's all meranti.

So,
Two all meranti concerts (including the figured stuff) with EIR fingerboard/bridge and EIR or Blackwood binding.
One meranti & spruce concert with Mulga fingerboard/rosette/bridge/headstock overlay.

The three amigos.jpg Shady Days.jpg Mulga front.jpg Mulga & Jarrah.jpg Mulga Headstock.jpg

Oh, and I know I said in another thread that they were all going to be spruce topped and have classical tie bridges.....well....I changed my mind :eek:

Last edited:
Well done - beautiful work.

So now you have comparable ukes with different topwoods - what difference in tone do you hear between spruce topped and meranti topped?

Nice!

In spite of its plain looks, meranti is a really good sounding wood for ukes - I have two meranti sopranos in progress right now.

Very occasionally you do turn up a more attractive piece - this one has some light curl and prominent speckle pattern:
308545_2362194367962_1043414509_2735485_1095482660_n.jpg

Thanks guys, I also feel they look better as ukes than they would as cupboard doors. :)

Your right, I can compare the two tops. The difference in sound is subtle but there. Even though I was confident that the meranti tops would perform, I am still kinda surprised how well they stack up against the spruce top. I'll try and upload a sound file once the strings settle (and I've learnt a worthwhile tune!)

Your also right about there being some nice figured meranti if you hunt for it.
These pieces were destined to be installed in a house and painted over. They're now the rosettes & headstock overlays for both meranti topped ukes.

Figured Meranti.jpg Headstocks.jpg

Meranti might as well be Honduran mahogany. Early on, Jeff Huss went to a bluegrass jam in a garage. Looking up, he noticed some beautiful curly boards in the rafters overhead. Meranti, of course, and he talked the owner out of them. We made some stunning H&D guitars out of the wood. They sounded wonderful, and we sold out quickly. So much for Philippine mahogany not being a good tone wood. I wish I had a truckload of the stuff, as long as it was figured.

Top Bottom