Finally came out of the closet tonight

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Well I officially knocked off my last New Year's resolution tonight. I came out of the ukulele closet and played my first open mike night. I have been playing for almost three years and hardly play in front of my kids, let alone anyone else.

But I decided that tonight would be the night and stuck to it. There were about 30 people there and after a few scheduled bands played, I was the first to go. I played and sang the Bee Gees "I Started A Joke", a song that I have only been playing since last Saturday, and Tom Rush/Joni Mitchell's "Urge For Going." Everybody loved them. The response was fantastic. The bass player from the band that played before me joined in unexpectedly on both songs on his stand up bass. At first it caught me off guard a little, but as I settled in, it added a new dimension to my songs that I had never experienced before.

For those of you that have experienced what I did tonight, you know how empowering it is. :)

That rules, and playing with an upright- I have seen a Cello played like an upright with a uke that sent me, I bet your bit was AWESOME. Wishing there was video attached

Congratulations Dana!!! Brilliant stuff mate...funny how it's the thought and anticipation of these things that drains the nerves, but once you get up there it's so much fun. Rapt for you mate. The start of more public playing for you no doubt, and how awesome to have some bass behind you. Empowering, liberating, a real buzz. Looking forward now to a video brother... :)

Congratulations Dana!!! Brilliant stuff mate...funny how it's the thought and anticipation of these things that drains the nerves, but once you get up there it's so much fun. Rapt for you mate. The start of more public playing for you no doubt, and how awesome to have some bass behind you. Empowering, liberating, a real buzz. Looking forward now to a video brother... :)

Your so right Jon. I tried practicing at home for an hour before I went out and it was if I had never plyed before. I was very nervous. But when I got on stage, a feeling of calm came over me that soon turned to confidence. I can't explain why felt like that, but I'm glad I did.

Congratulations Dana! I've played in front of 30 people before. Of course that was over a period of a couple of years. Getting over that initial fear either takes cajones or quite a few shots. I'm sure you represented the ukulele well. Now that you are "out" you'll start looking for gigs. Very cool.

Congrats! I don't have a problem talking in front of crowds (used to get crazy butterflies in the past) but that's only because I'm confident and know what I'm talking about BUT I don't think I can do an open mike. Good on you! :D

Very cool, Dana! Nothing beats the feeling of sharing music; the audience hears you, and you get energy back from them---you can't get that energy anywhere else. Congratulations and keep it up!

Oh, and one question: Which of your beautiful ukes did you use?

Congrats! What a great New Year's resolution, as well. I'm glad to hear it went well and that it was such a positive for you. You may have given me an idea for my 2012 list!

Absolutely wonderful. I bet most of them haven't enjoyed the sound of the Uke. Kudos to you.

You got the Uke bug right. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for relating the experience. Its sometimes hard to even play for one person.

Tell us if you keep playing the open mic.

Awesome! Did you have anyone videotape your performance?

Playing in front of strangers should be a requirement to join UU!! J/K but I am slowly building up the courage

Great story. And its almost time for another 'new year's resolution'. After reading your resolution, I think mine will be to play at least one open mike per month...hoping I'll keep it.

I have found it more difficult to play for a small group of friends than standing in front of a larger audience filled with people I don't know as well. In the back of my mind I'm wondering about my friends' reactions but in front of a larger group that seems to go away.

Good for you. I wish I had your guts. You're inspiring.

Top Bottom