PDA

View Full Version : NEW Ohana Myrtle wood/ Port Orford cedar

Uke Republic
10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Just a pic of the new model from Ohana.
They really raise this bar with this one.
gloss finish, solid Myrtle back and sides with solid Port Orford sound board. A limited number of red cedar tops are available too for this limited series.
soprano, concert and tenor
Demo vid soon to come . fantastic voice from both models

foxfair
10-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Need a bigger picture and closer shooting distance. :)

Uke Republic
10-14-2011, 06:20 PM
These were just quick shots from my phone today, the good stuffs coming :)
Need a bigger picture and closer shooting distance. :)

kenikas
10-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Wow! Thats a good lookin uke, it could get my UAS flaring up again. Ohana's cedar top with willow back and sides has been one of the ukes been really wanting. Does that one come in concert?

Uke Republic
10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes it does come in concert but they won't be in until early 2012. I have sopranos and tenors at the moment in a very limited supply. I'll have details up on Saturday on the store web site for price etc.
I love the look of the Myrtle as well. It puts me in mind of a white Koa. It has maple binding as well, top of the line materials.

bbycrts
10-14-2011, 07:45 PM
They got this wood combination from me :D

Pondoro
10-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Sounds pretty and also sounds like they are preparing to build ukes that have no "endangered" woods in them. Both of those woods can be obtained in North America, as far as I know there are no regulatory issues with them.

Kem
10-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I've got to say that I own a myrtle concert, and it is my prettiest and sweetest-sounding uke. Myrtle wood is truly lovely.

Uke Republic
10-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Probably!:)
Actually Ohana told me about 2 years ago but I couldn't say anything. Might have sent the Ukulele Mafia after me(Joke, Louis is one of the nicest people).
I have only seen these combos from smaller custom shops and maybe Ko'olau.They do sound wonderful. Play one for 15-30 minutes and they really warm up. Love the projection you get from these.
They got this wood combination from me :D

bbycrts
10-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Probably!:)
Actually Ohana told me about 2 years ago but I couldn't say anything. Might have sent the Ukulele Mafia after me(Joke, Louis is one of the nicest people).
I have only seen these combos from smaller custom shops and maybe Ko'olau.They do sound wonderful. Play one for 15-30 minutes and they really warm up. Love the projection you get from these.

Mine is, in my opinion, perfect. And the smell...Port Orford cedar has a POWERFUL smell!

Hippie Dribble
10-16-2011, 12:10 AM
gee Mike, they look fab. Ohana sure do make great ukes don't they. Thanks for the pics mate...looking forward to the next batch

Uke Republic
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I made a mistake. It happens sometimes :) The red cedar it turns out is Redwood as in California. This line is in particular is chocked full of western US tonewoods. I just ran out of tenors but have a couple of more coming if anyone is on the look.

hibiscus
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Ohana Port Orford Cedar/Myrtle . . . on the way! Better hurry:agree:

AncientMatingCalls
10-18-2011, 05:15 PM
What does a tenor model run for? I see the soprano is $240 or so. I hope the tenor isn't too much more expensive.

Uke Republic
10-19-2011, 06:12 AM
What does a tenor model run for? I see the soprano is $240 or so. I hope the tenor isn't too much more expensive.
Heres the link http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/ohana-port-orford-cedar-myrtle-tenor
Quite reasonable and we include a case. The tenor model has a nice strip going down the back. This model is also available with a redwood top too.

dvep
01-20-2012, 05:29 AM
I hope more are in stock in the next few months, I would love one.

freackykit
01-20-2012, 06:07 AM
They look gorgeous...but does cedar lose its punch after a few years?

dvep
01-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Hmmm, the thing is Port Orford Cedar isn't actually a true cedar, it's a misnomer. I wonder...

freackykit
01-20-2012, 07:05 AM
sorry feel a real berk now...not hard for me in the uke world...still an interesting question about cedar in general though and more thoughts on the woods in this uke...Got two ohanas and love them?

dvep
01-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Ohanas are great! I've played them before but am waiting to finally own one. And don't worry about it, wood names can be confusing. But I love the unusual combination if American woods here.

Uke Republic
01-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Hi, I haven't noticed cedar to lose punch but does wear in and gets more warmth with playing and time. I will say spruce seems to change with it's briteness and ends up sounding a lot like cedar :) Really interesting transformation through the years of playing. The Port Orford cedar is actually in the Cypress family.Some call it Lawson's Cypress. It has a great tone. To me in falls in as a wonderful top. It's a soft wood but very stiff. Great as a top!

dvep
01-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Thus why I'm intrigued! Do you happen to have a length measurement for the soprano?

Uke Republic
01-20-2012, 07:58 AM
20.5 inches I recall. Sadly we and Ohana are sold out of this limited series. Email me next week at mikem@ukerepublic.com and I'll find out an ETA.
Thus why I'm intrigued! Do you happen to have a length measurement for the soprano?

garyg
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Oregonians must hate everything from California which is why the changed the name of California Bay Laurel to Oregon Myrtle, it certainly isn't a myrtle. Common names certainly are confusing, as someone mentioned Port Orford Cedar is a juniper as is Eastern Red Cedar, and Western Red Cedar is a cypress. Sheesh, okay dendrology lesson over. I really do wonder if these tonewoods will hold up over time, anyone know? Have a good weekend, g2

hibiscus
01-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm thrilled with my Soprano!

Pippin
01-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Cedar does not lose its punch, but it does get warmer and sweeter with age. I love the sound of an aged cedar-topped instrument.

bbycrts
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Oregonians must hate everything from California which is why the changed the name of California Bay Laurel to Oregon Myrtle, it certainly isn't a myrtle. Common names certainly are confusing, as someone mentioned Port Orford Cedar is a juniper as is Eastern Red Cedar, and Western Red Cedar is a cypress. Sheesh, okay dendrology lesson over. I really do wonder if these tonewoods will hold up over time, anyone know? Have a good weekend, g2

A one-time Oregon governor summed it up: speaking to Californians - “Come visit us again and again. This is a State of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live.” (Governor Tom McCall, 1971).

And I'd always heard Port Orford cedar is actually cypress, not juniper.

Uke Republic
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Port Orford cedar will hold up. It's a very stiff , tight grained and light weight. A great top tone wood.

freackykit
01-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks to everyone who answered me regarding cedar. Getting back to the point of the OP these ukes are gorgeous

dvep
01-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Indeed! They look pretty stand-up.