Jescar Fretwire for ukes

fa'a Junior

Reaction score
With so many sizes of fretwire, I bought a bunch of different sizes to sample with. I am using the Jescar .080" width with .043" height for the Tenor ukes. For the Sopranos, used the same ones but its just too out of place. The frets seem way too wide for such a smaller scale. I took the lead on others advice on the StewMac #764 but instead used the Jescar .053" width with .037" height which is the same size. I am waiting for it to arrive and it should be better on a smaller uke.

But one thing when searching for fretwire in those smaller sizes, the only smaller crown widths that are offered was .053" and .062" and only had one choice in height. Unlike the .080" widths, there is a variety of heights to chose from. I checked StewMac, Jescar, Dunlop, Lmii. Is there a place that gives a little more selection in heights with the widths .053" to .062"?

Thanks

I measured up the fretwire on an old 1930's Martin Soprano and came up with these sizes...Fret crown .047" wide by .025" high the fret tang is .075" long.... I'd like to get hold of some more like it :).. I'm not too bothered about the height ...the height can be dressed down and recrowned.

Last edited:
Thanks Timbuck. So to followup frets concerning the tang width, can I use the same slot width I cut out for a .020 tang compared to my new one which will be .023". Would that cause my neck to bow backwards? I ask because I read on fretnotguitarrepair site that too small of a slot will cause stress. But I don't know what is considered too small for a tang size.

Obviously, I don't know where you could get bar frets since I don't know where you are, but I got mine from a hobby store. It's just brass strips, I use 1x3 mm. It is a bit fiddly to crown them after installing. I've been thinking about shaping the entire length in a nifty jig, but so far haven't been arsed. I make tiny barbs in a simple way to make them stick:
http://argapa.blogspot.com/2012/01/bar-frets.html

Hth / Sven

I measured up the fretwire on an old 1930's Martin Soprano and came up with these sizes...Fret crown .047" wide by .025" high the fret tang is .075" long.... I'd like to get hold of some more like it :).. I'm not too bothered about the height ...the height can be dressed down and recrowned.
the Touchstone 9617 is £8.90 for 5 metres (Dutch Nickel Silver)... 1.15mm w (1.19 Martin) 0.75mm h (0.635 Martin) tang width is 0.63mm (0.0244")
How does that compare against Snowcauldron pricing?

Top Bottom