Do you keep the shipping boxes from your ukes?

GinnyT11

Reaction score
Do you quickly break down and throw away the boxes your ukes arrive in? Or do you keep them a while in case you need to return one? Or maybe sell one (or some) to fund another uke purchase?

I just looked in our garage and saw the remains of two people's summer of UAS---more uke-shipping boxes than I want to admit to. Each is full of the packing material that protected the ukey darlings during their travels. A couple are smaller boxes that brought new cases from ebay or Amazon. The pile is pretty high.

We know there's no rational thought in UAS, but could a rationale be brought to bear on Ukulele-Box-Keeping Syndrome? Should we keep just one box for each size uke, or more, or all of them?

Absolutely keep them unless you simply do not have the space. But if you don't have the space, you can always break them down and store them flat somewhere. You never know when you may have to sell a uke or possibly trade for one.

I just keep one for each size uke. I figure if I sell one using the saved box most likely a replacement is on it's way so just saving one or two boxes works for me. Worse case scenario if you throw them out you have to buy packing materials. Not really an end of the world situation. You know they could be a fire hazard.
Or break them down and save the bubble wrap and peanuts in a garbage bag. Use the crumpled newspaper to light a fire in the fireplace this winter.

I don't keep the ukulele boxes, but one reason may be that what I've received so far hasn't been worth keeping (the boxes, not the ukuleles!).
On the other hand I keep the guitar boxes (acoustic as well as electric) and that creates a much bigger storage problem I can tell you.. :)

-Tor

Not anymore, don't have the room. I'll keep a box if the uke didn't come with it's own case. I figure if I ever sell or give a uke, it will be face to face or presented in it's case or gig bag. Those empty boxes can pile up!
Ernest

I usually keep them for a few days/weeks depending on space in case I have to return one, but apart from Astrid who didn't have a case for the first few weeks I've not kept one for very long.

I only keep a few boxes, because I have no space. However, I have used several boxes to insulate my ukes from the temperature changes from an outside wall. I didn't want my ukes, which were being stored right against the wall, to experience a lot of unnecessary temperature swings. Sometimes that wall can get pretty warm or cold to the touch. So, I filled the boxes with packing peanuts, and made a protective barrier.
–Lori

My boses get pushed under the bed in the guest bedroom. I covered one with maps (I got free ones from the Sierra Club) and then clear plastic sticky stuff (shelf liner?) from Dollar Tree, added padding inside and used a beaded belt from a thrift store for a handle to make a folk-artsy case for my banjo uke. This case works better than I'd thought, and gets cool comments from strangers (well, OK, that might be directed at me, who knows). www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2461195971294.145628.1294026589&type=1&l=617412853b

I never keep boxes period. When I sell stuff, which I do sometimes (audio/video/phones etc) I always use another box with a more neutral shape and printing from the supermarket, like boxes used to ship potatoechips, serials etc. The reasons are that I don't have enough space for all boxes, and that unfortunately their is a small history with luxury items 'dissapearing' in the mail in my country.

I always keep em. Every one. I honestly don't know how I would have coped selling and shipping so many ukes without the store of cardboard boxes I'd accumulated in the buying of them. Like Roxie said, it's got to be a good idea to have a few just in case you decide to sell one in the future.

How about the uke boxes that the new uke came in..I keep them as well ...for double box shipping purposes..
with the boxes, if they are creased and busted up.. the structural intregity is compromised and not efficent no more...

Okay, the trunk of the car is now PACKED with excess uke-shipping boxes and packing paper, ready to go to the recycling place. I have kept three small inner-box boxes, and three outer-box boxes of different sizes and put all the peanuts in one big bag. The bubble wrap is neatly flattened and stacked in one place.

I believe I'm now eligible for a Sparky the Fire Dog ring from the Fire Marshal!

I keep all the boxes my ukes came in. I'm actually down to about 2, plus 2 guitar boxes. Now if someone would buy the two ukes I'm selling now, my attic will be uke box free for the first time since I started playing!

Top Bottom