PDA

View Full Version : Question About Being in Tune

Aviv
10-15-2011, 07:30 AM
I tune my ukulele to perfection using this online tuner: http://www.seventhstring.com/tuner/tuner.html

however the notes I produce from pressing on the frets are not in tune. for example when I press on the second fret of the G string it's supposed to produce an A, but in reality it produces A +30 cents. when I play the F chord the A string clashes with the A +30 and it creates dissonance. what can I do to counter this? I should note that I have a very basic and relatively cheap ukulele: I spent 25$ dollars on it.

Brad Bordessa
10-15-2011, 08:22 AM
You've already nailed your problem: the cheap 'ukulele. If you're handy and you can see a lot of space between the open string and the first fret, you could try lowering the nut a bit. That is likely why you are out of tune. Try pressing down less first. You don't need to press the string all the way to the wood - just so that it touches the fret without buzzing. If I press down really hard on my Kamaka it will sound out of tune.

PhilUSAFRet
10-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Do some searches on setting intonation. Does it play in tune anywhere on the fretboard? Nearer to nut worse? etc. If you have some skills, you may be able to do a little self help lutherie work. (sand nut to lower or deepen slot(s), lower or raise saddle. Much of this isnt rocket science. If you could build a model airplane, you could do these things. Lots of good advice in the lutherie forum Lots of us have bought cheapos to "practice on."

mm stan
10-18-2011, 02:53 PM
You've already nailed your problem: the cheap 'ukulele. If you're handy and you can see a lot of space between the open string and the first fret, you could try lowering the nut a bit. That is likely why you are out of tune. Try pressing down less first. You don't need to press the string all the way to the wood - just so that it touches the fret without buzzing. If I press down really hard on my Kamaka it will sound out of tune.
Aloha Brad,
Read your signature area..."Down with Monsanto" is it because of the hybred cross genetic crops... I remember I used to wear Monsanto pants in the 50's...wow I am now dating myself...sheesh