Question About Being in Tune

Aviv

Reaction score
I tune my ukulele to perfection using this online tuner: http://www.seventhstring.com/tuner/tuner.html

however the notes I produce from pressing on the frets are not in tune. for example when I press on the second fret of the G string it's supposed to produce an A, but in reality it produces A +30 cents. when I play the F chord the A string clashes with the A +30 and it creates dissonance. what can I do to counter this? I should note that I have a very basic and relatively cheap ukulele: I spent 25$ dollars on it.

Last edited:
You've already nailed your problem: the cheap 'ukulele. If you're handy and you can see a lot of space between the open string and the first fret, you could try lowering the nut a bit. That is likely why you are out of tune. Try pressing down less first. You don't need to press the string all the way to the wood - just so that it touches the fret without buzzing. If I press down really hard on my Kamaka it will sound out of tune.

Do some searches on setting intonation. Does it play in tune anywhere on the fretboard? Nearer to nut worse? etc. If you have some skills, you may be able to do a little self help lutherie work. (sand nut to lower or deepen slot(s), lower or raise saddle. Much of this isnt rocket science. If you could build a model airplane, you could do these things. Lots of good advice in the lutherie forum Lots of us have bought cheapos to "practice on."

You've already nailed your problem: the cheap 'ukulele. If you're handy and you can see a lot of space between the open string and the first fret, you could try lowering the nut a bit. That is likely why you are out of tune. Try pressing down less first. You don't need to press the string all the way to the wood - just so that it touches the fret without buzzing. If I press down really hard on my Kamaka it will sound out of tune.
Aloha Brad,
Read your signature area..."Down with Monsanto" is it because of the hybred cross genetic crops... I remember I used to wear Monsanto pants in the 50's...wow I am now dating myself...sheesh

Top Bottom