Boat Paddle uke update!

Jon Moody

Reaction score
I had ordered a custom M style concert uke from Jerry at Boat Paddle in mid/late September. I got an email from him today, showing me some pics and letting me know that it should be done in less than two weeks! For the curious, here are the specs:

M-Style Concert
5 string (the G is octaved)
Mahogany top
Red Maple sides & back
Maple binding with purfling
Ebony fretboard
Custom "footprint" inlay on the fretboard

concert3.jpgconcert4.jpg

Very nice! I can't wait to see this one progress. The choice of woods is very interesting, and I love the M-style shape....

Thanks, folks. I talked with Jerry a bit on wood choice, and after getting over my initial "I want a dark sounding Concert!" (to which he recommended a tenor body with concert scale), I decided to switch gears and have it really have a nice "snap" to the sound of it. So, it should be bright, but not shrill (the top and octaved G should help with that).

Another pic. We're changing out the headplate from mahogany to ebony (Jerry liked the contrast of the inlay on the fretboard and the wood over the inlay on the headstock and the wood) for some more contrast.

moody03.jpg

I think you will still have a full sounding darker toned uke. Jerry's ukes sounds different from anything else I have played to date. The M style is really nice. Going 4 string or 5? Played a 5 Sting M in Milwaukee and it was really really nice.

It's done! I got the email from Jerry today, letting me know that it was done. My last choice is if I want to spring for the extra money for a hardshell case; it comes with a gig bag right now.

moody06.jpgmoody05.jpg

Congratulations..that is a beauty!! If it was mine, I would go for the hardshell case. This stunner needs to be protected!!
Very nice uke!! Maybe you can post a sound clip when you get it? I have never heard a 5 string before.
Thanks!

I have many good ukes but I love my boat paddle for sure. Very clear and complex voice. Fun to hold. I have the 5 string which I don't like so I just put 4 strings on but I could do 5 if I had a hankering. Great ukes and I put it right next to my Kanilea K1.

Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to it. I did opt for the hard shell case; I had my Tall Grass use in its case over the weekend on vacation and it fell out of the van while loading and skid across the pavement. That sealed the deal that a hard case is definitely worth the extra.

Well, there was a slight snag in that the zipcode on the shipping label was wrong which delayed the delivery of the uke by a day, but all in all, it was no problem. The uke is fantastic and beautiful, and sounds great. It DOES have a little darker sound than my other concert uke does, and the octaved G string gives it a bigger fullness. It still has a nice high end snap to it though.

The case was a worthwhile investment. It's a very snug fit, and everyone likes the retro look of the tweed case.

All in all, I'm ecstatic. I will have to get some pics up quick for you all.

Here are pics. I took this uke to my rehearsal for the show on Thursday to get an idea of how the misi pickup sounds. It's very clear, and sounds true through the Kala Roundabout amp I'm using. One of the actresses commented that it sounded like I was playing a harp during one part (just strumming chords).

Tonally, it is crisp and clear while still having a little more depth to the sound, partly due to the octaved G. Although, the low G doesn't overpower the sound, which is nice. I really like the pin nut setup; changing string gauges is not an issue on this.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

Figured it was time for a "after the honeymoon phase" update.

I played it for the full run of the show I was in (the tuners on my Recording King just weren't holding a tune), and have played it a number of times at church (recently on Christmas day and ran the pickup through a delay). I keep it on a stand on my dresser, so it gets almost daily use, even if for 5 minutes or so. So, it's been getting a lot of love.

That said, I've found the sound is opening up more. Especially with the octaved G strings, depending on the chords I'm using, it really gets that mandolin sound. It sounds more "woody" than original, but still a very sweet sound. It has a lower, fuller sound than my regularly tuned concert but still retains the snap.

So all in all, this uke has grown on me even more so than when I first got it. It's quickly become my regular uke for any regular playing, although with instrumental pieces I do prefer the scale of a tenor. Well, there is always the next uke... :)

thanks for the update. Very impressive.

All the BP owners need to get together at UWC and do a song!! it would be so awesome.

Top Bottom