Wild Cassowary (Not Luthier Related but you might enjoy)

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Had a chance to get out of the shop today and went for a drive. Lucky I had my iPhone with me to capture the video of this really rare bird foraging beside a country road. I've been lucky enough to see a few in the 6 years we've lived here, and that was only because we tend to get out on the back roads a fair bit. This one passed close enough for me to touch if I was brave enough....I'm not. Just have a look at those toes. This one stands close to 4' tall to the top of it's head.

Looks like you got out of the car to get that film - your a braver man than me.
Rumour has it that those things have chalked up a few human deaths over the colonised years.
A big nasty chicken with a raptor's legacy.

Yeh Craig. I got out of the car to take a picture and he decided to walk right past me. I wasn't making any sudden moves I can tell yah.

IMG_0005.jpg

Fantastic!..The Largest bird I see round our way is a "Grey Heron" that sometimes stands on the roof eyeing up the goldfish in the Neighbours pond.

Amazing!! I have a friend that raised emus and he told me about the Cassowary. I understand they can disembowel a person rather rapidly.
Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Here's another Nasty Bird.
Mrs Timbuck called me into the kitchen today..She pointed out the window and said "What kind of bird is that on the lawn"?..So I grabbed the camera and took a few pic's of it.
PICT0064-1.jpg

Last edited:
What an absolutely lovely Peregrine Falcon!

I never saw a raptor outside of a zoo until I was in my late 20s, thanks to the effects of DDT. I saw my first wild Peregrine Falcon about 20 years ago, and remember how breathtaking it was.

Great shot, too!

-Kurt

Here's another Nasty Bird.
Mrs Timbuck called me into the kitchen today..She pointed out the window and said "What kind of bird is that on the lawn"?..So I grabbed the camera and took a few pic's of it.
PICT0064-1.jpg

great video and thanks for sharing, yeah those Cassowary's are a streange looking bird, i was lucky to see one when i lived in perth, although it was in the zoo, they can disembowel you with there feet, i am pretty certain Roo's can to if they kick you.

Top Bottom