Next Theatre Gig: which songs for uke?

Jon Moody

Reaction score
My next theatre run is a two weekend run of the local Civic Theatre's Senior Readers Showcase. It's usually just a two hour music review; this year's theme is "A Tribute to the Red, White and Blue." I got the music on Friday (rehearsals don't start for a couple of weeks), and casually asked the Music Director if he'd be opposed to me doubling on ukulele and bass, to which he was very excited.

So, here is the list of songs that the show is. What ones do you think would be good to put ukulele on? I'm marking the ones I'm already considering with an asterisk (*).

Act I
America the Beautiful
Yankee Doodle Dandy *
You're a Grand Old Flag *
Road Trip Medley - Route 66, Take Me Home Country Roads, Carolina on my Mind
Quartet Medley - Simple Gifts, Dixie, Carry me Back, Red River Valley
Cowboy Medley - Tmbling Tumbleweeds, Cool Water
American Folk Song Medley * - Colorado Trail, Alabama Gal, Buffalo Gals, Kansas Boys, Cape Cod Girl

Act II
This is my Country
Life Every Voice and Sing
If We Never Meet Again
Give Me your Tired, your Poor
The House I Live In.
I Never Knew his Name
Tell My Father
Army Hymn
Navy Hymn
Armed Service Medley - The Caissons, From the Halls of Montezuma, Semper Paratus, Anchors Aweigh, Off We Go, America the Beautiful

Also, which uke? That is the big question, isn't it? I have a KK Big Shot that I can mount on any of them. I am thinking of using the Resonator, mainly because it would give that faux-banjo sound, but don't know the best way to amplify it.

I think your asterisks are spot-on. Those old tin-pan-alley type songs are excellent uke fodder.

About the only thing I'd add is maybe playing it on "Country Roads", especially if you played open, spread-voice chords that gave it a sort of mandolin sound (i.e., 0037 for C, 0235 for G, etc.) And assuming, of course, that you weren't needed on bass at that point. :)

JJ

Top Bottom