Two questions about Japan and Japanese Ukes (Osaka)

ukefett

Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently came to Japan to teach English but due to space constraints I couldn't bring my Uke with me. I know it's a long shot but does anyone know a place to get Ukes in the Osaka or Kobe area? I found two places, one that sold really expensive ones and a Yamaha place. I know it's a long shot but I gotta try

Also...

Does anyone know about Japanese brands? I have only basically seen a brand called "Famous" in my price range (few hundred bucks) and a U-900 themed one by aNueNue. I don't really know anything about these and dont speak Japanese so I can't really talk to the clerks about them. help!

I've heard rumors that Yamaha makes some nice 'ukuleles that are only available in Asia, so you may want to check them out. Otherwise, I'd definitely give aNueNue a serious look. I have their O'ahu tenor size and it's pretty amazing in terms of quality materials, construction, and it sounds absolutely lovely.

Famous ukuleles are made by the Kiwaya company in Japan. The same ukuleles are called Kiwaya ukes outside of Japan. They've got a great reputation---check out youtube reviews of Kiwaya ukes.

I own a Kiwaya KTC-1 concert and it's great uke. My daughter and I performed at the Kiwaya/LoPrinzi booth at the summer NAMM show and I got to try several Kiwaya ukes and they were all very nicely made and well set up.

- Steve

Thanks for the replys everyone! It's good to know that the few brands that I have seen here are good ones. I am now thinking about one that I wasn't even debating before, It's a Hello Kitty Uke. I saw it at the store for about 180$ but then saw that its a limited edition one sold only in Japan and is selling for more everywhere else I looked (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hello-kitty...627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25682dc793) So I may end up getting it, I have a bunch of nieces and they might like hearing it and it may be a good memory of Japan for me years down the road, and who knows, it may be worth something as well.

Top Bottom