PDA

View Full Version : Your near future uke aquisition goals

v30
10-16-2011, 04:50 AM
What's on your near future list?

For some reason I have it in my head that I have to have a Kamaka tenor and a vintage martin soprano.

Gmoney
10-16-2011, 04:59 AM
What's on your near future list?

For some reason I have it in my head that I have to have a Kamaka tenor and a vintage martin soprano.

Well of course you do! My list is somewhat slowing at present as I have two custom ukes in the works, but those DeVine ukes that Eric posted earlier sure tempts a man's UAS.

Chap
10-16-2011, 05:24 AM
I have a Mya-Moe long neck soprano that should be arriving in early Dec.

Other than that, I only have plans to put a few of my extras on the market. :P

metricfuture
10-16-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm trying to put it off until next year, but sometime in the near future I'd like to get my first custom, my first resonator and my first tenor. Luckily, I have a few options that could let me kill 3 birds with one stone (Russ Morin, Mya-Moe both make them, I just need to do some more research).

mm stan
10-16-2011, 05:36 AM
I have tried many ukes, owned alot....all I can say now is I pick ukes by their preformance...not their names.. of course, the big names have more consistancy...but you never know until you have the ukulele in your hands....Good Luck...and happy strummings...

Trinimon
10-16-2011, 05:38 AM
I see a Kamaka tenor in my future but I'm also tempted to pickup a Kala Acacia tenor... damn UAS!

kwkak37
10-16-2011, 05:41 AM
One banjolele (Lanikai or Gold Tone?), one Tahitian ukulele, one tenor ukulele (preferably blue). I prefer to have one of each kind.

zacht
10-16-2011, 05:42 AM
A Dolphin for every room in the house, another Dolphin to put a pickup in, and a solid body electric uke plus amp with distortion.

dkcrown
10-16-2011, 05:43 AM
I only have one uke in my future, as I wait for my turn to come up on a custom build, hopefully sometime early next year. I might have to sell a couple off to help finance it.

Tor
10-16-2011, 05:46 AM
I'll probably try to get the Ohana tk35g-5. It seems to be slightly difficult to find online (which is the only current option when I'm home). I should have had more courage when I saw one in a shop in Dublin. But I'm only occasionally able to master musical instrument shops - too intimidating.

-Tor

Uke Whisperer
10-16-2011, 06:20 AM
1. "NEW-Ohana-Myrtle-wood-Port-Orford-cedar", just announced on UU Forum by Uke Republic, IF the Soprano had come with a concert neck! (Guess search for alternative continues.)

2. The Fish Ukulele is on the "near future list", but I hear that it may not go into production!

Guess I'll change my list's name to the "near future savings plan list"!

Pondoro
10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
I need a sopranino and a baritone, since I do not have those sizes. I started building the sopranino but got sidetracked by a major crisis at work and it is about 2/3 finished. After that I'd like a vita but I do not need one.

TCK
10-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Needed a May Bell Banjo Uke with a resonator to round off the collection (got it yesterday- Model 24 in excellent nick, 1920's, Happy Birthday to ME!!!)
Now I am filling the piggy bank for a Mya Moe- only thing stopping my start date is deciding whether I need a reso or not, and what size (argh- I think I need a concert)

Kristi.G
10-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, since taking up Ukulele about 3 months ago (or maybe I should say "re-taking up") I have spent about $1400 on Ukuleles - some new, some used, and that's 7 ukes (I need to update my signature). Obviously, they were all pretty inexpensive, but they're all decent. I've got Tenor, Concert, Soprano and tomorrow I'll have Sopranino sizes. I've got Acoustic, Electric, and Acoustic Electric ones. Also a variety of wood types (nothing more exotic than oven Koa) including Bamboo). My small tribe pretty much covers the gamut of varieties, at a very low cost:)

My goal now, after taking some lessons and getting a bit more proficient will be to figure out what size/type I like best and start looking for a high end uke of whatever variety that ends up being, for my next purchase. I'm thinking that I'll likely budget up to about $1500, so it could even be a custom uke. We'll just have to say. Trying to curb the UAS until then (unless something absolutely too good to pass up comes my way).

I also hope to take a uke making class in the spring from a local luthier - maybe that will be my next uke.

CTurner
10-16-2011, 09:44 AM
My near future (in a little over a week) includes a new Pohaku Deco Tenor in an amazing quilted Honduran mahogany/curly koa combination.

PhilUSAFRet
10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm going to the Tampa Bay Uke Getaway in November in Tarpon Springs. Will probably be a target or opportunity, perhaps at the swap meet, or a vendor like Uke Republic, MIM, etc. I expect to come home with some kind of uke!!!!!! :drool:

kaizersoza
10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
my near future aquisitions are a luna pineapple tattoo, love the shark tooth design, an eleuke don't know what size yet, and in the not too far off distant future a banjolele of some sort, oh and a couple more dolphins of different colour

Hippie Dribble
10-16-2011, 12:42 PM
a couple of vintage Regal sopranos. Also looking forward to a new resonator around Christmas time. Perhaps a vintage banjo uke but I just don't know enough about them to work out which one to buy!!!! In between times I'll be hoping to sell off one or two more ukes as well...to help pay for the newbies :)

Jon Moody
10-16-2011, 01:08 PM
In the short term, I'll be getting my custom Boat Paddle uke. I'm really looking forward to it; it may be here in time to use for a run of gigs, which would be cool.

Other things I may like to get are some more pickups for a couple of my ukes so I can bring any of them to a gig.

Nuprin
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
My Luis Feu de Mesquita will be arriving in about a month. After that I'm thinking a Kamaka tenor and a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. The Devine ukes Eric recently posted have me drooling though!

wolfybau
10-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I would like to get a uke decent enough to do gigs with so I could get some work. preferably with a pickup, a bonus would be a nice look to it. and a steel string one so I could play music with my bandmates again. and a coconut one for the novelty. I have some coconut shells Ive saved and some bamboo I would love to build a uke out of if I had the skill and equipment to do it right. If I relay had my wish , I love the look of the old vintage Kamakas with the rope binding. well these are all just wishes realy :rolleyes:

mascompro
10-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I am currently saving for a KoAloha koa soprano, that I have recently fallen in love with. I visit it every chance I get, hopefully it will still be there when I have scraped together all the funds.

Scott S.
10-16-2011, 04:29 PM
In the next couple weeks I should receive my slightly customized LoPrinzi model A mahagony tenor. The custom features are an ebony fretboard and bridge and a neck width of 1 7/16" at the nut (vs. 1 3/8 stock").

Lexxy
10-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Either a Kamaka, or something Moore Bettah :P

coriandre
10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a custom MP in the mail (should arrive any day), a custom MP almost finished. In 2012, I will have an other custom tenor and perhaps a baritone and a tiple.

mm stan
10-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, since taking up Ukulele about 3 months ago (or maybe I should say "re-taking up") I have spent about $1400 on Ukuleles - some new, some used, and that's 7 ukes (I need to update my signature). Obviously, they were all pretty inexpensive, but they're all decent. I've got Tenor, Concert, Soprano and tomorrow I'll have Sopranino sizes. I've got Acoustic, Electric, and Acoustic Electric ones. Also a variety of wood types (nothing more exotic than oven Koa) including Bamboo). My small tribe pretty much covers the gamut of varieties, at a very low cost:)

My goal now, after taking some lessons and getting a bit more proficient will be to figure out what size/type I like best and start looking for a high end uke of whatever variety that ends up being, for my next purchase. I'm thinking that I'll likely budget up to about $1500, so it could even be a custom uke. We'll just have to say. Trying to curb the UAS until then (unless something absolutely too good to pass up comes my way).

I also hope to take a uke making class in the spring from a local luthier - maybe that will be my next uke.
Aloha Kristi,
Holy smokes in a month time since you started, you bought 7 ukes at a total of 1500.00 ....wow that may just be a UAS(ukulele Aquirement Syndrome) record..Happy Strummings..

consitter
10-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Maybe a KoAloha tenor neck soprano--if finances allow when we go to the factory next September!

marymac
10-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I just bought a handmade Covered Bridge Myrtle tenor from UU member/luthier Tattwo that should arrive this week. I have an Anuenue Harp uke on order that should arrive by the end of the year, and I have a start date set for a Sycamore/Spruce Mya Moe next March. That's eNOUGH! May be some more ukes coming up for sale soon...

uker62
10-16-2011, 07:14 PM
I've got a Sycamore/Spruce Mya Moe Tenor Resonator on order. Should take delivery early April. Should look a lot like #129.

mds725
10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I just bought a green Makala Dolphin for the son of a friend, and I have two Mya-Moe myrtle ukes (tenor and baritone) that are scheduled to begin production in February and March of next year. I thought the Mya-Moes would cure UAS, but now I have an itch for a Kala Pocket Ukulele. Does it never end?

Marymac, congrats on your new Covered Bridge (please post photos after it arrives!) and your recently-ordered Mya-Moe!

gyosh
10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
A Rick Turner kit pineapple tenor, built by myself in a uke building class. Can't wait!!

dhoenisch
10-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Well, I guess I'm more awaiting to finish up a couple of ukes that are on my workbench. The first one is what I believe to be a 1930's Harmony that is near completion (see avitar pic). Once I glue on the new bridge and set her up, she should be good to go, and finally in my "playing" hands. The other is a Grizzly kit that I am going to add a solid spruce top to, plus a bloodwood fingerboard and bridge. That one may be given away though, unless I somehow like it better than the antique one. We'll see.

Oh, and I would LOVE a U.S.A. Harmony baritone, and so many have come through here, but I never have the money for it. One of these days though...

Dan

joeybug
10-17-2011, 05:11 AM
I have the majority of the money for my Custom Cursley, should be able to put the deposit down soon! It's a English Yew, ebony fretboard soprano and will have my name on it :D VERY excited!!

haolejohn
10-17-2011, 05:49 AM
I only have one uke in my future, as I wait for my turn to come up on a custom build, hopefully sometime early next year. I might have to sell a couple off to help finance it.

IF the kamaka goes...First dibs:)

haolejohn
10-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Not sure if near future is really near future but i ahve two ukes I want to get. Another 6 string and either a MB or a DeVine (only one).

kenikas
10-17-2011, 05:56 AM
My UAS has pretty much been in remision since I got my Gold Label Pineapple back from Kamaka. But having to return my new Eleuke Peanut before really getting a chance to bond with it has left a hole in my collection, so I'm hoping they are re-released soon. And I am still hoping Mainland will do a slotted headstock on their concert Mango!

Lori
10-17-2011, 06:22 AM
I am thinking about a baritone uke, preferably gloss finish, perhaps a Mainland cedar top. I have always liked the Boat Paddle M-style... I wonder if I could get a long neck version? Another possible candidate for the herd would be a KoAloha long neck soprano, or a Kamaka. These are not near future plans, unless Mainland gets more baritones in stock.
–Lori

mascompro
10-17-2011, 06:46 AM
I am currently saving for a KoAloha koa soprano, that I have recently fallen in love with. I visit it every chance I get, hopefully it will still be there when I have scraped together all the funds.

Well, shucks I gotta come up with something else now, my wife just informed me that she purchased this for me today. :music:

guitharsis
10-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Congrats mascompro. Is it the one that was at NC Ukulele Academy.
I've seen and played that one. Very nice!

mascompro
10-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Congrats mascompro. Is it the one that was at NC Ukulele Academy.
I've seen and played that one. Very nice!

Thank You.
Yes, that's the one, picked it up one day, with very little interest, was actually looking at one of the LoPrinzis, and just fell in love with it. Great feel and sound.

Big_e
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
In the very near future I'm gonna add something in the lines of a tenor uke to my collection. Maybe a 6 string. I see a few good suspects on ebay.
Ernest

deadpool
10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I am going to Hawaii in January and think it may be cool to pick up a uke while there. Thinking about a Mele Mahogany Tenor, but after I try before I buy could end up with anything. Looking for a tenor though I think???

modern day ukuleleist
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Pocket Uke
Ubass

That's it really. I just play for fun, not a serious collector or anything.

mascompro
10-18-2011, 04:10 AM
Pocket Uke
Ubass

That's it really. I just play for fun, not a serious collector or anything.

I love the pocket ukes, but every time I pick one up, they just don't sing to me. (I am probably doing it wrong ;))
The UBASS however, is absolutely on my future wish list.

mm stan
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Um this will get my UAS going again....trying to enable an enabler huh?? hee hee

v30
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Son of a gun......I was getting ready to pull the trigger on that kamaka tenor but today found out I have to replace the differential on my motorcycle ($1000 for parts plus labour). So the kamaka is out of reach again for another while :(

hibiscus
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Ohana Port Orford Cedar/Myrtle

roxhum
10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
What I "need" is a really nice mahogany soprano, I just can't decide which one and I won't spend more than $500 on a uke. I would like a Mainland red cedar soprano or pineapple, and an inexpensive tenor. However my UAS is mostly in remission right now because of depleted funds and I love my Kamaka soprano so much I don't think I need anything else.

Trinimon
10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I just caved and bought the Kala Acacia tenor so now my list includes the "special" Kamaka tenor I always wanted and now a KoAloha semi-custom tenor since I've just made room in my "want" list. :p

coriandre
10-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Son of a gun......I was getting ready to pull the trigger on that kamaka tenor but today found out I have to replace the differential on my motorcycle ($1000 for parts plus labour). So the kamaka is out of reach again for another while :(

Motorcycle season is over :o Repairs can wait......ukulele season is always open :cool:

Trinimon
10-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Motorcycle season is over :o Repairs can wait......ukulele season is always open :cool:

LOL, makes a lot of sense if ya think about it! Uke on! :)

FlyedPiper
10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, since I finally got a uke that's FUN to play (my Flea) I'm not in a big rush.

I would like a nice solid wood instrument within a year though. I'm 99% sure it will be a Mainland concert at this point. Before or after that I'd like to get a (set up) Dolphin to play around with and maybe gift to someone. I'd like to own every size uke at least once.

zac987
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't really see a need for any more ukuleles. In fact, I've been selling down. My optimal list would be this:

Martin Soprano Style 0
SV Banjo Uke
Ohana Tiple (coming around November)
Bruno Tiple (coming in mail)
Tenor banjo tuned DGBE
Tenor guitar tuned DGBE

I wouldn't need any other instruments after that.

v30
10-19-2011, 01:20 AM
LOL, makes a lot of sense if ya think about it! Uke on! :)

I went into it thinking it was a fairly minor repair and wanted to have it done now so its not on the sidelines when the season starts up again (and the shop is very busy). I have several ukes I can continue to play while I'm waiting for the bank acct to replenish. The wait will just make that kamaka even sweeter when I finally get it. :)

flutinggnee
10-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I've got the Ohana Redwood/Myrtle soprano on the way--due THursday of this week!
(Hibiscus, I want to hear how you like the Port Orford cedar/Myrtle. I was torn between the two!)
Sometime, I'd like to get an all-Koa uke--either Kamaka or Koaloha--can't decide. Some day....

wayfarer75
10-19-2011, 04:20 AM
A Kelii koa/mahogany super soprano.

And then maybe save up for a Kamaka pineapple.