PDA

View Full Version : My uke wont tune! help?

bluiiee
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Hey there! So i just got a ukulele, I actually got it from Ukulele Underground, a Kamoa soprano. Ive never played uke before, but I have played guitar.

Anyway, Im trying to tune it... but when I turn the knob to tighten the strings, AS SOON as I let go, the knob unturns itsself! This isn't supposed to happen! Is it just because my strings havent been stretched out yet? What should I do? I want to be able to tune my ukulele so I can start playing, but I cant keep the knobs from turning back!
:(

alndrkmp
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
It sounds like you have friction tuners. The knobs stick out behind the headstock, not from the side (geared tuners). There should be a little screw on the end of each tuning knob. If you tighten this (a very little at a time), it will keep the knob from slipping. If you over tighten you will have trouble turning the knob at all.

robbocx
10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
It sounds like the friction tuners are loose.

There should be a screw (in the center of the tuner) that you can tighten to increase the friction, try not to over tighten as it will be hard to tune.

bluiiee
10-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, you guys are right! I do have the tuners that are in the back. Do I simply tighten them with a screw driver?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Yep, tighten them about an 1/8 turn at a time until they stop slipping when you tune up. Have fun!

Starby
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I had the same problem when I bought my Martin! It was really discouraging! I'm glad everyone helped you from further anxiety! Happy uke-ing!

trademen
10-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Same thing happened to me, just tighten the screws (very little, 1/8th turns is more than enough) and problem solved.