My uke wont tune! help?

bluiiee

Reaction score
Hey there! So i just got a ukulele, I actually got it from Ukulele Underground, a Kamoa soprano. Ive never played uke before, but I have played guitar.

Anyway, Im trying to tune it... but when I turn the knob to tighten the strings, AS SOON as I let go, the knob unturns itsself! This isn't supposed to happen! Is it just because my strings havent been stretched out yet? What should I do? I want to be able to tune my ukulele so I can start playing, but I cant keep the knobs from turning back!
:(

It sounds like you have friction tuners. The knobs stick out behind the headstock, not from the side (geared tuners). There should be a little screw on the end of each tuning knob. If you tighten this (a very little at a time), it will keep the knob from slipping. If you over tighten you will have trouble turning the knob at all.

It sounds like the friction tuners are loose.

There should be a screw (in the center of the tuner) that you can tighten to increase the friction, try not to over tighten as it will be hard to tune.

Yeah, you guys are right! I do have the tuners that are in the back. Do I simply tighten them with a screw driver?

Yep, tighten them about an 1/8 turn at a time until they stop slipping when you tune up. Have fun!

I had the same problem when I bought my Martin! It was really discouraging! I'm glad everyone helped you from further anxiety! Happy uke-ing!

Top Bottom