Premade uke necks?

haole

Reaction score
I've been thinking about building a cigar-box uke, but building a neck is intimidating for someone like me who isn't experienced with woodworking. Some ukulele kits come with a mostly-finished neck, but I haven't been able to find just the neck anywhere. Does anyone know where I could buy one for a reasonable price? Or is it worth dismantling a cheap souvenir uke for the neck?

Actually the neck kits that Hana Lima sells don't have the scarf joint cut.
I know this, because I am using one of their neck kits for my class Ukulele.
It is just 7 blocks of wood, ( 1 neck block, 3 heel blocks, 2 ear blocks, and one tail block ) that comes in the kit. You have to do everything to it.

That being said, it is not really that bad.
I would suggest buying the Hana Lima manual and that would tell you step by step how to shape and construct the neck ( along with building the rest of the ukulele ).
I own the manual, and I have successfully made one Ukulele alone, when i lived in Texas, and i am now working on two more.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Aloha
Bob

I have seen some damage ukes for sale in the luthier's flea market at ukuleleworld.com Some have really badly damaged bodies but the neck and headstock are perfect for a cigarbox uke. I don't think there are any right now but their inventory changes quite often.

try checking some ukulele factories. i know they have fret boards and pre made necks already to specs. most of them get them C&C. fast and simple. thats the way to go!

I was going to say if someone give me the wire model I can load it into my micro cnc mill and crank them out over the weekends when I am not running normal stuff.

Woods pretty easy on the tooling.

I was going to say if someone give me the wire model I can load it into my micro cnc mill and crank them out over the weekends when I am not running normal stuff.

Woods pretty easy on the tooling.

in what file format? i'll design something up right now!

I know that G String gets all of their necks preC&C'd from a company in California. If you wanted to, you might contact G String and ask for a quote on one of their necks ( without the headcap and logo attached ), or if you are lucky, maybe you would be able to find out who they get their necks from, and order direct. I used to know where they get them from, but it has been a while since I worked there, and I have forgotten :p sorry.
Hope this helps.
Aloha
Bob

yeah! its deeper then u know!

It may say where they get there necks from but the g string necks are their
own design. Kanilea now has their necks cnc'ed and have their own design. To give info or to even suggest that some one should go direct
is not cool. It cost a lot of time and money to design and produce these necks. If not, everyone would have it. First its all about g string(remember the stickers) and now Its all about hana lima so tell me whats going on. I just want to know why. Theres a saying that goes Jack of all trades master of none. Its ok to learn diffrent styles of building but learn one way first and get it down and then move on.
Don't skip around and then start giving advice that you really shouldn't be giving. Thats all I'm trying to say.

My Spidey senses are telling to stay away from this one.

Waaah, I've created a monster! :uhoh:

You know, the Hana Lima kit doesn't look half bad. :D I think I'll practice my skills with some cheap wood before I start mangling those nice pieces of sapele, but I'll likely end up buying the construction manual pretty soon.

My only real concern right now is whether or not it's possible/practical to attempt it with the tools I have already. What would I need to attempt this project? Hopefully nothing too specialized.

Haole,
I built my first Ukulele with a dremel that I got for $15 from a pawn shop, my dads 20 year old table saw, and a old corded drill for power tools. I mostly used hand tools such as chisels, a back saw and ALOT of sandpaper.
Anyone can do it, and it can be done in any space ( house, appt. barn, etc. ).
If you get the manual, that will help you be on your way to getting set up.
Or you can check here
http://www.hanalima.com/tooltips.shtml
which is the tools that Hana Lima uses.
I will say that you don't need all powertools. It can be done with hand tools, it just takes longer.
Also the Hana Lima forum members can help you get set up just like they did me.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Top Bottom