HER VERSE
[C]He's got more balls than a big brass monkey
He's a whacked out weirdo and a lovebug junkie
[F]He's sly as a fox and crazy as a loon
[C]When payday comes, he's howlin' at the moon
[G]But he's my baby. I don't mean maybe
Never gonna let him [C]go [G] [C]

Last edited:
this is very, very nice Rob. What a great song choice, it really suited your voice...hmmm...could he be going country?????

wee- Nice job - I like the 'wee-treatment' on this one very much.... this is actually one of my favorite songs to sing - one of my favorite Prine songs (and I really like John Prine) in general. My wife and I do it as a duet, like he recorded it with Iris DeMent. I think you and I have very similar record collections.....

wee- Nice job - I like the 'wee-treatment' on this one very much.... this is actually one of my favorite songs to sing - one of my favorite Prine songs (and I really like John Prine) in general. My wife and I do it as a duet, like he recorded it with Iris DeMent. I think you and I have very similar record collections.....

The song featured in the movie "daddy and them" where John Prine who wrote the song,
costars as Billy Bob Thornton's "Zen hillbilly" brother. The song portrays the rocky relationship
between a dysfunctional couple Ruby and Claude Montgomery. It is a dark comedy set in
Little Rock, Arkansas. It is hard to stand by your man when your sister is sitting in his lap.
I love the song since it is irreverent but reeks of the real.

To really pull it off it should be done as a duet, between a man and a woman.
From the movie it just goes to show, couples can be totally dysfunctional yet
for some obscure reason they are bound to each other.
Love and understanding is what it is all about.

You will have to do a duet with your wife for YT. I would love to see that.

T
I love the song since it is irreverent but reeks of the real.

That's John Prine in a nutshell.

I"ve heard about that movie - been meaning to see it..... I liked 'Slingblade' - it felt very authentic. Both of my parents - and 90% of my extended family - grew up and/or live less than a hundred miles from where Thornton did in Arkansas..... he knows how to represent the people and the region very well.....

Those lyrics give a very humble feeling. Like its written about "salt of the earth" kind of folks. It suits the uke very well and you did a great job on it. I enjoyed it.

I was just pointed to a Uke version that was done in 2008
by Adelle and Boozelele. It is a great improvement when
it is a duet between a man and a woman.

That's John Prine in a nutshell.

I"ve heard about that movie - been meaning to see it..... I liked 'Slingblade' - it felt very authentic. Both of my parents - and 90% of my extended family - grew up and/or live less than a hundred miles from where Thornton did in Arkansas..... he knows how to represent the people and the region very well.....

I have been reading Seven Brothers by Alexis Kivi ( a Finnish classic ) and in there it was
remarked that it was written 14 years before Mark Twain wrote Tom Sawyer, but both
books dealt with the theme of the conflict that exists between the law of the land and an
unwritten law that is in our hearts.

The law of the land said runway slaves should be returned to heir masters the law in Tom's heart
want to help the slave to escape.

I just watched Sling Blade last night on your recommendation and I think there is a similar ethos
at work. Carl knows what is right an wrong. Knows his bible. Knows that you should not kill.
Yet he does and somehow you feel that he was justified in his actions.

Masterful performance by Billy Bob by the way... It had to be since half of his dialogue consisted
of repeating "All right then Mmmhhh-Aahhh" all the way through the film.

It is a fine movie.... Carl certainly knows the difference between right and wrong and does what he does consciously and with a righteous heart. I love the way he 'wraps it all up' with a few simple actions.... he takes care of the boy and his mother while definitively providing for himself. He sees the shortest line and takes it.

Top Bottom