New dust collector

dave g

Reaction score
So with winter coming on & the prospect of being in the closed shop full of dust, I've been thinking dust collection. Was considering one of those HF/ Grizzly/ etc. dust collector thingies with pipes running all over the place, but this afternoon I came to my senses and just got a nice medium size "shop vac". It's gonna work out great; the hose reaches the belt sander, the thickness sander and the big band saw without moving the unit at all, and it's on casters so moving it to other machines will be a snap. No crusty boogers for me this winter! :)

Shop vacs are great for the budget. But dust collectors are quiet. I've got both. I use the shop vac because I don't have all the piping set up for the HF dust collector yet.

I tried that but went back to a dust collector because of the amount of static electricity being created. The outside of the hose attracted a ton of dust and it ended up all over me when working around it. It was really bad with the fine dust from my drum sander. I didn't have that issue with the dust collector.

I have a baritone that's pretty much a dust collector. I need to learn how to play that thing.

No disrespect, but you have to ask yourself if you are primarily concerned with keeping your shop relatively clean or if you are trying to save your lungs from all of those super fine wood particles. Because bottom line the shop vac will not help you with the later. I wish it were that easy and inexpensive.

You'll always get fine particals of dust escaping thro the filters into the air with the vac/extractor in the workshop...So! I'm planning on moving my extractor out side the shed, into a custom made mini shed ..and plumbing the pipework around the work shop walls..If you know what I mean.:).

Last edited:
...I'm planning on moving my extractor out side the shed, into a custom made mini shed ..and plumbing the pipework around the work shop walls..If you know what I mean.:).

Exactly what I was contemplating! But in the winter it would be extracting all the heat along with the dust, so I abandoned the idea.

In the summer I could simply run a hose from the exhaust on the shop vac to outside...

I've also still got my 20" box fan w/ furnace filter to work on the "ambient" dust in the air. :)

The problem with putting the extractor outside is you will raise the humidity far beyond acceptable very quickly if the humidity is not low outside. You could always put a return back to the shop with a diverter. But most of the year you will need to return the air to the shop.

The problem with putting the extractor outside is you will raise the humidity far beyond acceptable very quickly if the humidity is not low outside. You could always put a return back to the shop with a diverter. But most of the year you will need to return the air to the shop.

Mmmm! There's alway's something :eek: I never thought of that one.

Top Bottom