Worth (tenor) fluorocarbon string preference (Clear vs. Brown)??

Flea Flicker

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both colors on their tenor? If so, would you consider sharing your thoughts?

Please include which set of strings (or gauges) you prefer (i.e., low-G, etc.), which color, and the specific reason(s) why you like or dislike them.

Thank you!

I have tried both the BT and CT, the BL and CL, as well as the BTLG and CTLG, and finally the CHLGHD. I definitely prefer the clears over the browns. I'm not sure if it is actually the case, but the browns seem more mellow and muted to me, whereas the clears seem to be more, well, clear and have a bit more sustain. Of all the Worths, I like the heavy hard low g ones the best (the CHLGHD) on my tenor uke, and the CT or BL on my Pineapple Sunday.

Of all the Worths, I like the heavy hard low g ones the best (the CHLGHD) on my tenor uke . . .

Interesting! Its been my suspicion that most responders would say they preferred clears to the brown variety, and I also suspected that many would prefer low-G, but frankly, the whole LG-HEAVY vs. LGHD thing is WAY confusing to me. If you read the product description for both of those items on the Elderly Instruments website, there is functionally no difference between them as follows (cut and pasted directly from their website):

WORTH CH-LG HEAVY UKE SET (SKU WSCHLG): LOW G - Clear strings are 100% fluorocarbon nylon for a brighter, more forward sound compared to the Worth brown strings, heavy tension, 63" long (enough for 2 sets ). String gauges are 0224 (.57mm), 0291 (.74mm), 0319 (.81mm), 0358 (.91mm). Made in Japan. These strings are primarily intended for tenor, but may be used on soprano or concert ukes. However, the user should be aware of the increased tension load and how it might impact their specific instrument.

vs.

WORTH CH-LGHD HEAVY UKE SET (SKU WSCHLGHD): LOW G, HARD VERSION 4th STRING - Clear strings are 100% fluorocarbon nylon for a brighter, more forward sound compared to the Worth brown strings, heavy tension, 63" long (enough for 2 sets ). String gauges are 0224 (.57mm), 0291 (.74mm), 0319 (.81mm), 0358 (.91mm). Made in Japan. These strings are primarily intended for tenor, but may be used on soprano or concert ukes. However, the user should be aware of the increased tension load and how it might impact their specific instrument.

Same material, same gauges, same tension, same everything (as far as I can tell), and yet, they are marketed as two distinct products with different sku numbers.

Anyway, my concern would be the purported "added tension" aspect of the strings and its potential influence on the neck. It stands to reason (as the scale length increases from a soprano to concert to tenor), that some added tension would be a good thing, and I'm an admitted novice at much of this stuff, but I'd probably stress (or obsess) over neck strain and potential bowing of the neck. Any concerns there for you?

Frankly, I'm not sure how you can even produce a "higher tension" set of strings in comparison to another set that contains the very same (identical) materials and gauges? In other words, with guitar strings (including nylon ones), increasing tension typically involves increasing the diameter of the string, but perhaps its more of a 'density' issue with these bad boys? In other words, perhaps these are "higher tension" because their density (of fluorocarbon) is higher, I don't know??!#@$%&*?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and enjoy your many lovely ukes!

Top Bottom