Camera/recorders for short online videos

garyg

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to make some videos for youtube and have been looking at combined video recorders like the Zoom Q3 that have both decent video and good quality sound recording capacity. That camera looks like a good solution, as I've learned from previous posts. I'd really like something that delivers good quality video/sound so that I don't have to integrate the video and sound track afterwards with an editing program. But there are new models of the Zoom and perhaps better solutions out there. I know many of you post videos and am curious about your opinions regarding the Zoom Q3 and later models and other good quality, reasonably priced, integrated video/sound camera options. TIA, g2

me too, right now Im just using this little casio camera that also does video and doign a lot of editing to fix the sound often recording the sound separate on a Boss micro BR and syncing them up in my video software.

not that I can afford soemthing better right now but Im curious what others are using.

I use a Creative Vado HD Video Camera, was £40 on Amazon reduced from I think £100, maybe more, either way my mum got it for me last year and I've used it religiously ever since, the sound can sometimes be a bit naff, but other than that, it's a great camera, easy to use, easy to upload and does the job fine!

Hope that helps :D

Add me to the list of inquiring minds want to know.

I've been using a zoom Q3. Thinking of trying something else though...

Great song fabio!

I just picked up a Kodak PlaySport. I went with the sport over the touch because it seemed a little more multipurpose for me. Waterproof to 10 feet, droppable from 5 feet and can survive dust and dirt. I will be able to hand this thing to my child and not worry about it while also putting it on a tripod and recording video.

Having that mic port directly on the PlayTouch would have been nice, but I have the equipment to record my sound separately anyways. So far the video quality has been good. I don't have any samples up yet, but I hope to at some point this week.

Fabio are you using an external mic? From looking around the web the Playsport doesn't have anywhere near as good a mic as the Zoom Q3. Great kazoo work btw. g

I' ve been looking into getting something like a Zoom Q3. I did some simple footage on a Kodak ZX1 but it doesn't have great audio. I still use it sometimes just for some non-music video footage.

Currently, I still use a Canon GL1. It's a very used banged up camera which a friend gave to me. I usually record straight into my Mac and try to avoid tape. The audio from the GL1 can have a lot of hum on it. So, I'll usually record the audio separately.

The Zoom appeals to me because of its simplicity. I think I would like to be able to get away from the complexity sometimes.

I have used the Q3HD for 6 or 7 videos. In order to get the microphones off camera, on a few of those videos I used an LS-1 audio recorder. My last two videos were done with a Canon HF M400. On the very last video I used an off camera microphone on the M400. For a comparison, if you read the blurb with the video, the setup (camera, audio recorder, microphone and preamp) is mentioned. The Q3 does a good job, but it has two things I do not like. It has an audio in, but not a microphone in, so in order to use an off camera microphone, a preamp is needed. Also, it has no remote control and the user can't see the onscreen video as it being recorded. On my latest video only one channel of audio because I used one microphone. I'm still thinking about some other changes in my setup. If you want to compare the resulting videos, the YouTube channel link is below. I hope this is helpful.

Thank you Eugene and Gary: This was my first presentation in a composition contest.

I use only the Kodak Playtouch internal mic in the video. I'm waiting for a cheap "madeinchina" sony mic ecm-ds70p, which improves even more the sound. I saw some videos with Zoom Q3hd, when I 'm looking for a Hd cam, but I thought the Q3HD recording volume is too low for an uke (maybe it's just the cam adjust, but...).
Sometimes I record with my cheap sony picture camera (no-HD), and I record the audio separately in mp3 with the Zoom H1 .
The audio improves a lot, but gives a lot of work to edit and synchronize audio in windows moviemaker.

Does anyone just use the inbuilt camera on the Macs? I've done a couple of 'picking only' tiny vids on it & it seems OK ...... haven't dared test the voice yet!! Don't want to blow it up!! :rolleyes:

cheers

Roberta

oh decisions decisions, does anyone have a flip ? or any reviews or opinionsd of them, i like the idea of the kodak that you can plug a microphone into, but the zooms are meant to have great sound recording capabilities, loads of net researching for me, i might try doing some stuff on my cam corder, my digital camera ,a nikon cool pix and i may even plug in a headset with a microphone to see if that improves the webcam, as this has HD, but the built in mic sounded awful, all this will reduce my uke playing time,anyway this is a greatly informaive thread thanks all :)

I have a flip non HD and a casio Exlim both are decent, but I still mix off my H2 that is connected to the Mixer and I sync them later. For me I can stand having the video average but not the sound. Both do sound OK for stand alone Youtubes, but the H2 with a direct link to the mixer really makes a difference.

If I had a camera/rercorder like the Q3 I'd have to have a long cable to the camera from the mixer. Oh well nothing is perfect.

I have a Zoom Q3HD, I'm quite satisfied with it. As for the mic volume, it has a setting with auto/low/high. Auto works quite well. When recording you can observe the 'vua' meters on the screen. I don't think it's too low for acoustic recordings (unless it's incorrectly set), but be aware that there's a volume setting too which takes effect if you play directly off the Zoom (via hdmi cable to the TV, for example).

It's also smaller than I imagined before I bought it (I have a Zoom H4, and it's quite a bit larger). In fact I carry the Zoom Q3HD with me at all times. It fits nicely into one of the insane number of pockets in a ScottE-vest. I don't notice it's even there.

The batteries that came with it didn't last long, so I bought Lithium batteries (it takes two AA batteries), and they seem to last forever. I recorded a full concert once, the battery level didn't notice.

-Tor

Last edited:
Thanks for all the useful info, sounds like the Zoom q3HD is the not quite perfect solution. Did someone mention that there's no viewfinder on that recorder though, that would be horrible. You zoom Q3 owners - is there a view finder or viewing screen for the camera so you can get the image that you want? I have a Flip HD 3rd generation that I just bought online from best buy for the ridiculous price of $48 but I suspect the mic quality is poor but who could resist - it's the 1 hr model http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Flip+Vi...bolsp-app04-46?id=1218227993497&skuId=1159232 hope that link works. cheers, g2

Thanks for all the useful info, sounds like the Zoom q3HD is the not quite perfect solution. Did someone mention that there's no viewfinder on that recorder though, that would be horrible. You zoom Q3 owners - is there a view finder or viewing screen for the camera so you can get the image that you want? I have a Flip HD 3rd generation that I just bought online from best buy for the ridiculous price of $48 but I suspect the mic quality is poor but who could resist - it's the 1 hr model http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Flip+Vi...bolsp-app04-46?id=1218227993497&skuId=1159232 hope that link works. cheers, g2
hi Gary! yeah mate, the Zoom Q3 has a nice size LCD viewer. I actually have one for sale on the marketplace at the moment...

DSCF0013.jpgDSCF0011.jpg

Jon, I saw that but with shipping the price is close to a new one in the US, I'd trade you a Silvertone uke for it though. Solid Mahogany in very good condition, or some combination zoom plus cash for a soprano uke, say a Gretsch 40's model, or a Black Bear koa, or a Big Island Tenor (solid mahogany). If you have any interest I'll make a little video with my web cam and you can hear and see what they are like. ciao baby

Fabioponta: Great job on the song! It was very difficult to hear the vocal but seemed a really nice transition into the chorus. Definitely record again when you get your new mic.

Top Bottom