Need Help on My Samsung Galaxy Tab

BBQUKER

Reaction score
I recently retired and my work gave me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a departing gift (wow!). I had mentioned I wanted one so I could put my uke music on the Tab. Now I need to know how to do this. I have a pdf creator on my desktop and can e-mail to the Tab the pdf files. I can also scan in existing music that I have. Can I create a directory for the pdf's on the Tab and then sub-directories by the type of music I have? Not even sure how to extract the document from the g-mail to save it somewhere. And how do I deal with a multi-page document?

Appreciate any help out there.

Dan

Sole member of the Wis Rapids Ukulele Club (WRUG)

I use Dropbox to store music pdf's on my pc and move them to my ipad.
I know there is an Android Dropbox client, I use it on my phone.
You get 2gb of free storage on Dropbox. It installs easily.

I use another service on my Android phone, called Wuala. http://www.wuala.com/
They have clients for Windows, Linux and Mac, and an Android client on the Android market (there's a link to there from their website). You get 2GB free. Not much for storing pictures and the like, but should be able to hold a lot of PDF files. I use the service mainly with photos (finally I've got everything in one place, accessible from everywhere), but I have a lot more than 2GB - in the past you could get more storage due to a different business model they used. So I still have lots, otherwise I would have run out of space.

Anyway, it works really well. There used to be some problems with PDF files on the Android client though, but I think those are solved. I've only got a few PDF files, or non-photo files in my storage so my experience with PDF there is a bit limited.

The way it works is that on the PC there will be a new folder, this folder looks like any other folder but is really a window into the Wuala remote server storage. So any file put there (either by normal PC tools, or by the Wuala client) will end up on the server, and any file there will then be available on the Android phone as well. So I dump photos to the disk folder on my PC, then look them up on my phone. The phone can also store files _into_ the system, they will likewise then show up on the PC. (Superfluously this sounds the same as Dropbox, but there are quite some differences under the hood.)

On the Android phone I use any Android tool to read the PDF files, Adobe Reader (free) is available in the Market, as well as some other PDF readers. The Wuala application will show me files, and when I hit a PDF file it'll offer to open it with my tool of choice (e.g. Adobe Reader).

If you're new to Android: Hit the "button" down at the bottom of the screen, on the screen itself, it'll show all the applications. Then locate 'market' and hit it. Then search for Adobe or some such.

(For photos the Wuala Android application works particularly well, because it will cache local copies of photos, just large enough to fill the screen, so that photos will still be available even when my Android phone is offline - not on wi-fi, and not on 3G. For PDF files you would have to 'download' the files (from the Wuala application) to have access when not online.)

Anyway, that's just one of the possible options for sharing storage between a desktop PC and an Android phone.

-Tor

Top Bottom