Vintage Wooden Nuts

paulnako

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm a long time creeper of these forums, looking forward to start posting. I have this old uke

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68800541@N05/sets/72157627925634962/with/6258785086/

As you can see, the wooden nut is a little bit off. I'm not really sure what can be done in terms of repairing it, so I'm looking to get a woodworking buddy of mine to carve me up a new one. Does anybody know what these vintage Kamaka nuts were made of? My gut wants to say Koa, but that also seems like a strange material to use for a nut. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea Stan. I spoke with Tekla at Kamaka and sent her a picture of my uke. She showed it to Casey Kamaka who thought the nut was made of mahogany, along with the rest of the neck. I don't know much about wood, but I do know mahogany is a relatively soft wood and a strange material to make a nut out of. Tekla explained that back in the early days Kamaka was mostly concerned with using up whatever materials they had on hand and probably had a scrap of mahogany lying around to use for a nut. They didn't have any old wooden nuts for order, but I'm looking forward to getting one made up.

I'm still keen on the idea of a koa nut, so I ordered a chunk of koa off of ebay. I'm excited to see how it sounds.

Top Bottom