Low G String on Plastic fretboard Fluke

iamfroogle

Reaction score
Hey there UU,
I have a plastic fretboard Fluke with a high g aquila string and I'm looking into exploring the low g side of things. Some people say that the plastic fretboard might not be compatible with the low g but I'm not sure why or how it will wear it out... So anyone with flukes (with plastic fretboard) that tried low g strings can give me some advice and reconmendation on sets of strings that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The Low G string is wound, and it will eventually wear down the plastic frets by coming into contact with them many many times. If a steel string can wear down metal frets, I'd have to assume that a wound string could do the same to a plastic fret...

I have a tenor Fluke with a plastic fretboard. I replaced the Aquila re-entrant G with a Freemont Blackline low G and it sounds great. It is not wound so it won't wear out the plastic frets any faster than the Aquilas. Worth also makes a non-wound low G.

008-1.jpg
009.jpg

Nice looking Fluke and non-wound sound like the way to go...
:)
Are there any good brand in particular I should stick with for non-wound low g for concert flukes?

And in terms of changing strings, will I be able to change out the high G/low g while keeping the rest of the C E A aquila strings?

And can I switch back and forth between low and high g strings on one uku - can I take a string out and then put it back on?

thanks!

You should try Worth Strings. They are all fluorocarbon, no wind on low G or C string. The Browns sound awesome on my Fluke. I have tried the Clears in regular and 'fat' but have returned to the Browns.

Don't be shocked by the price; They are packaged in double lengths (one pack makes two sets of strings). Elderly Instruments has a fairly good price, but still 7 bucks for shipping. I recently restocked and bought 2 (4 sets of strings) for my concert.

I've got an old Fluke with nylon strings, and even those are wearing the frets a little. Wound is only going to speed that process up

I have a Fluke tenor with Orcas Low G (unwound) it booms.
These strings have the uke sounding the best it ever has.

Hey Thanks, I will look into reviews on Worths Brown and Orcas

but still, will I be able to keep the high g and switch it back and forth with the low g... meaning will string still retain its sound after you take it out and put it back on?

And how it flourocarbon different from nylon such as aquila?

I've got a fluke w/a low G and it sounds great to me. I heard it could be problems but I like low Gs. I don't play it much because I use it mostly for traveling but so far, I haven't seen much wear and I've had it for a year and a half.

Hey Thanks, I will look into reviews on Worths Brown and Orcas

but still, will I be able to keep the high g and switch it back and forth with the low g... meaning will string still retain its sound after you take it out and put it back on?

And how it flourocarbon different from nylon such as aquila?

I've never tried it, but I doubt that you'd want to switch the G string out back and forth like that. It may work, but it just doesn't sound all that practical to me.

If you truly want to play both high G and low G then you're probably best off buying another uke! :)

Top Bottom