Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Through (soundboard)

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Other ?

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
I was getting a little frustrated changing some strings yesterday on a slotted bridge, as the knot opening was too damn small. My favorite bridge type is a tie-bridge. It works with all string sizes, strings attach easy, and bridge doesn’t wear out. Slotted bridges may be my least favorite bridge.

What’s your favorite bridge type?

Last edited:
I want to be a smart ass and say "Suspension"
I like the through the sound hole for 2 reasons.
1. it looks nice and clean
2. easy to change strings

I have to agree, tie are better especially if you like to try lots of different strings. Slotted are ok if you stick with one type of string, but different diameters that require cutting out the slot are hard for me to do particularly on vintage ukes. Bridge pins are just another thing to wear, and seem like a lot of extra work for nylon strings. Same for through.

That was absolutely my first thought as well, LOL.

I actually like the slotted, but then again I have no idea what I am doing, so there's that.

Just sayin'

View attachment 29040For the money, I'll take a dental bridge.

Hmmmm.... can you tune tooth floss to GCEA?

Last edited:
I like the tie type for ease of changing strings. Lately, I have been using beads to speed up the process...love it, and looks cool too.................................BO...................................

Lately, I have been using beads to speed up the process...love it, and looks cool

I'm quite new to the uke world. Can someone please explain how beads would speed up the tying process? I guess it's just because I'm new at it, but tying seems to take me forever.

Thanks,
Mark

On an acoustic uke, I've found tie bridges to be the most versatile.

Pin bridges are annoying (for me), because sometimes during string change, the pins can pop out unexpectedly if I didn't fit it in enough, and removing them is a hassle, sometimes need to get out the pliers..

I liked slotted bridges over tie bridges for a while (they're the ones where you just tie the knot and slot the knot into the groove yeah?), because they were simpler than tie bridges. But I found that the slots sometimes don't work for certain strings that are too thick. For example, I had a soprano uke with a slotted bridge that had problems with the Aquila C string.

Through soundboard bridges... haven't had experience yet, but they seem like a bit of a hassle.. more parts, more potential for damage. It seems a bit excessive for a uke.

Through soundboard bridges... haven't had experience yet, but they seem like a bit of a hassle.. more parts, more potential for damage. It seems a bit excessive for a uke.

More parts? Are you referring to the use of beads to help protect the bridge patch. I don't understand why people think changing strings on a through bridge is a hassle. You don't have to remember how many loops etc. like you do for a tie bridge. I'm not sure what damage you are referring to either.

I think the biggest complaint I've heard is that it's hard to get the string to come out of the soundhole since you have to insert them through the bridge into the body. But all you have to do is twist the string a couple times and it shoots right up towards the top and makes it a snap to get hold of. Plus I drill the holes at a slight angle towards the soundhole to help direct the string in that direction. I love this design. I'm not an engineer but I believe it puts enough tension on the saddle to adequately drive the soundboard without the extra tension that is applied by a standard tie bridge. Less chance of having a bridge pop off (which shouldn't happen anyway if the uke is properly built and not abused by leaving it in a hot car etc.).

All that said my second choice would be the tie bridge. I don't like the slotted style like that of a vintage Martin.

I prefer pin type bridges. I played guitar before ukulele, so I guess I'm used to them. I also like the way they look. I have baritone ukes and recently ordered a tenor with a pin bridge. If I played a soprano or concert, I probalbly would prefer a tie type bridge.

I usually change one string at a time when a string show signs of wear rather than changing the entire set, and it is much easier for me to change only one string with a pin bridge.

I like the slotted bridges best. I play only sopranos and I really dislike the look of any other bridge . I hate seeing a tie type bridge on a soprano, it is a real turn off for me.
Am I the only one who feels this way ? If I dont like the way a uke looks ,I dont want to play it .

Tie. Well, if I understood 'tie' correctly: The way nylon string (classical) guitars are stringed.
It works well and I have the training. I've had enough trouble with a slotted ukulele when I wanted to change from black nylon to Aquila strings. Don't want that.

I'm fine with pins too, on steel string guitars at least. Certainly after I figured out _how_ it's supposed to be done.. as in don't use a tool to force the pin out. Just loosen the string and push it down, then the pin comes out easily with fingers only. However, I think pins work best on steel strings.

So, in short, ties, like on nylon string guitars. Generic, easy solution.

-Tor

I like pin bridges. Easier when only one string needs to be changed, cleaner looking (to me), the pins with abalone dots are prettier than twisted strings. I like the idea that the bridge is held onto the soundboard by not just glue.

I will add: when I ordered my tenor from Peter Hurney (Pohaku Ukulele) I had a long discussion with him about pin bridges. He was willing to make whatever I wanted but he talked about the physics of putting the slightly greater weight of bridge pins on the sound board. He thinks a lot about the sound of an instrument and the extra weight was important to him. In the end I stubbornly held out for the pin bridge. And he is happily putting my 'Christmas' uke together.

I added this comment because he is a meticulous craftsman who has infinitely more expertise than I have.

More parts? Are you referring to the use of beads to help protect the bridge patch. I don't understand why people think changing strings on a through bridge is a hassle. You don't have to remember how many loops etc. like you do for a tie bridge. I'm not sure what damage you are referring to either.

I think the biggest complaint I've heard is that it's hard to get the string to come out of the soundhole since you have to insert them through the bridge into the body. But all you have to do is twist the string a couple times and it shoots right up towards the top and makes it a snap to get hold of. Plus I drill the holes at a slight angle towards the soundhole to help direct the string in that direction. I love this design. I'm not an engineer but I believe it puts enough tension on the saddle to adequately drive the soundboard without the extra tension that is applied by a standard tie bridge. Less chance of having a bridge pop off (which shouldn't happen anyway if the uke is properly built and not abused by leaving it in a hot car etc.).

All that said my second choice would be the tie bridge. I don't like the slotted style like that of a vintage Martin.

I like the string thru the bridge method myself,....pretty easy once you've done it just once usually. Like you mention,...the bridge a lot less likely to ever pull off!

The bridges can also be made lighter and more responsive, since it is relieved of a lot of the stress of string tension. (not always seen though, not sure why?)

One thing i do is make a set of thin ebony washers (bottom of the soundboard protectors, especially for a spruce soundloard). I cut a small section of ebony from the stewmac binding material, and round it up freehand on a foredom flex shaft to about round shape and drill thru the center just a bit wider than the string for that hole. I also round off the edges and sand a little for a cleaner look. (not important, but i'm a bit picky)

These provide hardness at the knot end, and spread the force over a wider area of the top so they don't dig in over time. If you want to avoid having to deal with them on every string change, you can use CA glue and attach them permantly to the underside of the top.

If you do that, the way i do it is feed a piece of an old string thru the bridge hole on top of the uke until you can retrieve it thru the soundhole. I then slip one of my ebony "washers" onto the string and push it into the sound so that i can tie a knot onto the string end.

Next i apply a bit of petroleum jelly around the actual knot and on the string just off the knot for about 1/4" or so, in order to create a barrier to keep any CA from sticking to the temporary string you'll use to pull the ebony piece up againt the underside of the top.

Once the knot end of the string is lightly coated, i slide the ebony washer back against the knot. Don't go crazy with the jelly, as you want to keep the ebony flat surface free of petroleum jelly in order for the CA glue to take hold. Usually a little will end up in the hole,...which is good, as it keeps the glue out of that area and will be easier to free the string once the glue sets the ebony to the top surface.

Anyway, i then place a small drop of CA glue on a small plastic baggie, and pull most of the slack out of the string so that the ebony washer is near the soundhole. (usually a good idea to have a plastic baggie around the soundhole if you tend to be messy with glue!)

Last steps are to place a little CA glue on the ebony washer and spread it around evenly to cover the entire surface. I use one of those pointed nylon toothpics with the floss built in. Then in one motion i guide the washer into the soundhole (left hand) while pulling at the string at the bridge, (right hand), and pull the ebony washer up against the underside if the top and hold for a few minutes or so.

After a few minutes i carefully push the string at the bridge end back thru the bridge hole. Usually i cut it off first so only a few inches have to go back thru the freshly glued area. It's also easier if you left a foot or so of string on the other end of the knot, as it gives you a bit of a handle to pull the string back out thru the soundhole. Not required though, as you can simply push the remaining string out of the bridge with a small drill bit held in your fingers, or with a sewing needle with the point flattened.

I save all my old strings for jobs like this. The knotted string guides & centers the ebony washer exactly where you need it to be, and the bit of jelly keeps the CA glue from sticking to the knot or string.

In the end (after all string knot ebony supports are installed), you never have to fool with them again, and the softer tops are protected with a mini bridgeplate of sorts.

Last edited:
I like the through the sound hole for 2 reasons.
1. it looks nice and clean
2. easy to change strings
Roman arch would have been my choice.

I have only one through-the-bridge type uke and it's a pain in the backside to restring because the strings get tangled with the pickup wires. Looks very clean, though.

Roman arch would have been my choice.

I have only one through-the-bridge type uke and it's a pain in the backside to restring because the strings get tangled with the pickup wires. Looks very clean, though.

Yeah,....the ones i have with hole thru bridge stringing are wire free inside,....sans pickup. I can see where that could be a pain!

Top Bottom