Amazing how much difference a little humidity makes

NatalieS

Reaction score
I keep my uke in the dining room, about five feet away from an open top freshwater aquarium. Being in Florida, I thought... this will surely provide the best humidity range for a uke, right? Right?

It turns out that, even in this situation, humidity fluctuates a lot! I recently bought several hygrometers for my pet reptiles and got an extra one to place by my uke. In the space of a week's time, ambient humidity in the house can fluctuate between 40-65%. I notice that during the 40% times, my uke sounds pretty bad: dull, quiet, no sustain. Almost like the strings have no sound quality whatsoever. Tonight, I picked up and started playing again. The uke sounded amaaaazing: loud, full, incredible sustain, very supple, and felt like the strings were looser. Ambient humidity was 55%.

Okay, I'm officially a believer in the power of humidity. And Auntie Em, I promise never ever to let my humidity go down to 40% ever again!

Makes you think doesnt it ..... I just ordered some hygrometers from ebay to monitor this. I have never used a humidifier and have a dozen solid wood string instruments. I do keep my instruments in a room with over 200 gallons of aquarium water though. There is surely humidity even though summer and winter values must fluctuate greatly. I look forward to monitoring this to see the real values......and test your theory !

Aloha Nat,
Do you think temperture could be a factor too for you...just wondering....nice post girl...Happy Strummings..

Top Bottom