Unusual KKeiki on ebay

strumsilly

Reaction score
This isn't mine but I just happened to see it while having a bout of insomnia. From what I know of KKEIKI, they were made in Japan by Kamaka and then 'finished' in Hawaii, the Gold label says Hawaiian handmade but they really weren't. I could be wrong. I used to have one,I think they were all mahogany and very lightly made. but have not seen one with binding like this. Who knows, I might actually bid on this, but I just got a mahogany Gretsch soprano, so I really don't need another . looks to be in really fine shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAMAKA-UKUL...881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415e620af9

the more I think about it the more I think I need another mahog soprano. maybe I'll go for it. thinking is alway s dangerous for me.

The bindings usually meant a special order with the later custom kamaka ukes...not sure if this this one applies since it was made in Japan...I seen a standard one sell not too long ago for 225.00

strumsilly,
What a set of coincidences !
We were out of town visiting some friends. The only Keiki that I have ever seen or played belongs to the father of the girl we were visiting. I had been trying to talk him out of it for two years. As of this past Monday, he WILL NOT part with it. I searched Keiki on Ebay from her computer, and found this one. We got home 15 minutes before the auction ended, so I bid on it.
Now, I am catching up on the forums and found your posts. We talked about swapping your Keiki for my baritone before you got your Gibson.
I'll let you know more when it arrives.
BTW, it looks like this is coming out of Florida, too.

Bill

The bindings usually meant a special order with the later custom kamaka ukes...not sure if this this one applies since it was made in Japan...I seen a standard one sell not too long ago for 225.00
I've seen 'regular' Kamaka's that have what looks like binding, but it's just the edge painted white...My Keiki is a plain Pineapple/solid mahogany & nice sounding.

Top Bottom