PDA

View Full Version : Elderly String Sale

olgoat52
10-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Just got an email from elderly. They have another 20% deal on strings. wouldn't you know that I stocked up literally last week from them. Bastids!

http://www.elderly.com/images/ads/COUPON20STRING010-26-11.jpg

AncientMatingCalls
10-19-2011, 06:06 AM
I just bought a couple packs of worths using the code. It took off about $5.

I bought a set of worth clears for tenor and a set of the heavy clears. I loved worths on my kanilea, this,will be my first time trying them on my koaloha sc. Pretty exciting.

dhoenisch
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
wouldn't you know that I stocked up literally last week from them. Bastids!

Dang it, so did I. Just got my package with all my strings yesterday. Oh well, it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than going to any local music stores.

Dan

Reisman
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Just placed my order.

mm stan
10-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Yup, Mahalo Nui for the heads up too...was thinking before to get some strings..now sounds like the right time...

PoiDog
10-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Perfect timing on this. I saw the email from Elderly, and I'm in the process of trying to find out which strings would be best on my Kanile'a. I figure out of a range of Worth Clears, Worth Browns, Fremont Blacklines, Martin clears, and Southcoast (not bought from Elderly) I'd better be able to get the right fit!

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Dang it, so did I. Just got my package with all my strings yesterday. Oh well, it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than going to any local music stores.

Dan

I don't know what your local music stores are charging, but its awfully hard for me classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line, and by the time you add the shipping charges, its pushing the envelope for me. I can do better locally.

PoiDog
10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Not sure where you live, Flea, but for me (in LA) Elderly - even with shipping - is loads cheaper.

For example, I picked up one set of soprano Martin clears at a local music shop in the 310 area code. The cost was $10 for the set, plus tax, coming to about $11. One set. At Elderly that set costs $4.55. So, if I were to get three sets at the store, I'd be out $33, but going to Elderly it would be $20 (shipping included).

Other sets have similar price discrepancies.

If you're lucky enough to live in a place with affordable strings, good for you.

dhoenisch
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't know what your local music stores are charging, but its awfully hard for me classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line, and by the time you add the shipping charges, its pushing the envelope for me. I can do better locally.

Well, locally Aquila strings are $7.99 plus 10.25% tax. Elderly, they are $5.20, and because I am just a four hour drive from them, shipping is very little. I ordered three sets of aquila strings at $5.20 each instead of $7.99 each plus sales tax. Mandolin strings, 3 sets of Martins for $11.85 instead of the $8.50 plus tax a piece around me. And since I had to order other strings for other instruments, I spent around $50, so they even shipped them for free.

So, I probably got all my strings and saved roughly 30%, and that's without their sale

Dan

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
At Elderly that set costs $4.55.

Again, it depends on where you live and what strings you're playing. None of the sets of uke strings that I've ever purchased at Elderly (e.g., Worth, Aquila, etc.) were under $12.00 per set (most were over $14.00), and the shipping charges are typically 1/2 the cost of a set (another $6.00). Its apples and oranges.

PoiDog
10-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Again, it depends on where you live and what strings you're playing. None of the sets of uke strings that I've ever purchased at Elderly (e.g., Worth, Aquila, etc.) were under $12.00 per set (most were over $14.00), and the shipping charges are typically 1/2 the cost of a set (another $6.00). Its apples and oranges.

But it's not apples & oranges. At least not for me. At a local store Martin Clears for a soprano were $10 plus tax a set. At Elderly it is half that price. It's as apples to apples as one can get. Worth Brown for a tenor at Elderly is $14.55 a set. At the local store they are $21 a set. Again, it's the same product at two places at different prices.

How is this not a straight comparison?

This means if I buy two or more sets of strings, I save by going with Elderly. It isn't an opinion, it's math.

Perhaps for you it is a different situation. But I'm not mixing brands or types here. Apples to apples.

ksiegel
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
When the only uke strings I can even get locally are Martin Fluorocarbon, the Elderly prices are pretty darn good - even before the 20% discount.

And at $5.25 USPS Priority to ship 4 sets, it beats the cost of gas and sales tax.

-Kurt

jackwhale
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
If you can, support your local music store. Otherwise they will become extinct like the neighborhood bookstores, hardware stores, pharmacy, etc. If saving $10 is crucial to your budget, buy online but if you value your local economy, support mom and pop stores.

I'm lucky to have many locally owned superb music stores and I want them to stay around.

Just sayin.......not trying to start an argument.

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Perhaps for you it is a different situation.

Look, I'm not sure why this is turning into such a heavy-lift here, but I said what I said, and I stand by what I said, because what I said applied to ME! O.K.? It was MY opinion based on MY location and MY string choice. I don't live in L.A. and I don't play $5 Martin's, O.K.?

Are we clear?

ksiegel
10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
What isn't clear is WHERE you can get such a deal! Many of us don't have your choices, but would buy local if we did - or possibly by phone/email from YOUR source.

I don't live in LA. Nor do I play $5 Martins, but if I want to buy local, Martin are my only choice.

I can't even get my local shop to order any other brand of uke strings, and they want $9.99 for the Martins.

If the string sale at Elderly sucks that badly, point us in a better direction, instead of just saying it sucks.

NOW we should be clear.

-Kurt

jackwhale
10-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Flea: I'm sorry I was misunderstood. I grew up in Michigan and absolutely love Elderly. I do buy from them and find them to be an exceptionally reputable and honest business. I have no hesitation buying from them because they stand behind what they sell.

I probably shouldn't have jumped into this discussion which, after all is a discussion about strings.

PoiDog
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Look, I'm not sure why this is turning into such a heavy-lift here, but I said what I said, and I stand by what I said, because what I said applied to ME! O.K.? It was MY opinion based on MY location and MY string choice. I don't live in L.A. and I don't play $5 Martin's, O.K.?

Are we clear?

Sheesh. Someone is a bit grumpy today.

Look, I'm really ecstatic that you live in such a paradise where you can play your not $5 Martins. Yay for you. The parade is on the way, as I am sure are all the congratulatory letters.

However, your claim was simply ludicrous from the very start, and all I wanted to do was point out that for some folks, perhaps going the way of an online store was a better option. Or was that too Apples and Oranges for you?

How about this, I'll just admit you were right all along and agree that (as you said), "its awfully hard [to] classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line"

And, of course, I'll ignore that the only strings that approach that cost at Elderly are the Worths, or that those run for $20 or more locally. You know, cause I'd hate to bring even other species of fruit into this.

Are we clear?

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Flea: I'm sorry I was misunderstood. I grew up in Michigan and absolutely love Elderly. I do buy from them and find them to be an exceptionally reputable and honest business. I have no hesitation buying from them because they stand behind what they sell.

Jack,

No-no, no worries, but my thanks for the sentiments, and yes, I agree, Elderly is a perfectly reputable establishment - never had an issue with them.

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
How about this, I'll just admit you were right all along and agree that (as you said), "its awfully hard [to] classify $14-$15 as "cheap" for what amounts to 20-foot of fluorocarbon fishing line."

Bingo! Now you're catchin' on, mate!

Daysailer
10-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Flea Flicker.... if you are referring to the Worth florocarbon, I think that they come in double length sets....
so....
your $15 buys 2 $7.50 sets of Worths. (just sayin' in case you didint know they are double lengths)

I just paid $8.95, for ONE set of Fremont florocarbons at a local music shop. I prefer to kep my $$$ local....when I can.

Elderly reg price Aquila tenor $5.20 (-%20= $4.04)....Local yesterday = $9.95.....(one set)...my money stayed local.

Just sayin' ...

<eM>Burr
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
If you can, support your local music store. Otherwise they will become extinct like the neighborhood bookstores, hardware stores, pharmacy, etc.

29071 Local economy is very important.

But I must admit I'm waiting for my string order from Just Strings...My local store has but one kind of strings for a Uke and not my favs.

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Flea Flicker.... if you are referring to the Worth florocarbon, I think that they come in double length sets.... so.... your $15 buys 2 $7.50 sets of Worths. (just sayin' in case you didint know they are double lengths).

Yup, true dat, and its a fact that had completely escaped me until earlier today. Personally, I've yet to try Worth's on any of my ukes, but if they're one's preference, then that's a true 'game changer'.

Thanks Daysail!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks for passing on the coupon, olgoat. (I had no clue, and I've been getting ready to place an Elderly order.)

Regarding the local vs. internet question: Here in Portland we've got good string prices, but not the best selection. Aquila, Martin, D'Addario and Hilo are widely available and well-priced. It's almost an hour drive to the single suburban shop that stocks Worth strings---but they are inexpensive---BM set costs $10.50. If I want Ko'olau, Fremont, Orcas, Kamaka or any other strings, it's internet shopping for me.

(And those Ko'olau Mahanas sound amazing on my Kamaka HF-1. Dreamy. Now please excuse me, I'm off to strum the Kamaka for an hour or so.)

Again, thanks olgoat!

Daysailer
10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
29071 Local economy is very important.

But I must admit I'm waiting for my string order from Just Strings...My local store has but one kind of strings for a Uke and not my favs.

Agree, Local whenever I can...
Since none of the locals carry the DR Sunbeam Round Core guitar strings I like, Strings and Beyond gets my very occasional (once in 2 yrs) bulk order.
of them.

Flea, Yeah If you know that you want the Worth's, the double length brings the cost in line with most other hi-end strings.
For experimenting,....cud get kinda spendy..

olgoat52
10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out what kind of jerk(s) take a thread about a 20% off coupon from a reputable retailer and turn it into a flame war... Jeez get your head(s) outta your butts.. Flea Flicker just double his post count on this thread alone I think.

Gimme a break.

strumsilly
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
so did I , i bought $50 worth, could have saved $10!
Just got an email from elderly. They have another 20% deal on strings. wouldn't you know that I stocked up literally last week from them. Bastids!

http://www.elderly.com/images/ads/COUPON20STRING010-26-11.jpg

Flea Flicker
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Flea Flicker just double(d) his post count on this thread alone I think. Gimme a break.

I can see why that would matter to someone who has amassed 1800 postings in barely a year's time! What is that, five (5) postings per day, every day of the year? Splendid!

wickedwahine11
10-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Folks, keep it civil please and play nice. Let's lay off personal attacks or flame wars here please and stay on topic. Thank you.

foxfair
10-20-2011, 02:48 AM
I just bought 7 (or more?) sets of strings from Elderly, and got the same email.
hehe... guess what? I may order some more soon. nylon and fluorocarbon string wont expire, you know.

foxfair
10-20-2011, 02:57 AM
Oh and for supporting local economy thing, no - my locals won't get my support. why? they dont have a clue what WORTH CH-LGHD is, they dont sell D'Addario J71 because the only channel(retailer) master doesn't import it. They charge a lot for Worth CT, as well as Martin M600. I am not saying one single shop, there are about 4 shops in around 50km and making the same business.
Maybe I am just bad in finding good dealers locally.

SuzukHammer
10-20-2011, 05:07 AM
I bought a cheap imitation Samick Telecaster guitar (not uke) to try and start playing blues progressions. Anybody recommend how I decide what strings to buy while they are on sale?

Sambient
10-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I know I was chanting for an Elderly string sale some time ago. But now that it's here, I can't remember what I was wanting. Guess I'm going to do a general stock up so boyfriend and I have options for our ukes. I've been offering to restring his dolphin (no, that's not an euphemism) since before we got together, maybe now I'll get around to it.

minniethemoocher
10-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I've been wanting to try the Worth clears, so thanks for the tip.

OldePhart
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks OleGoat - I've been waiting for a sale because I want to experiment with some different brands of tenor strings.

As for buying locally - I live in a major metropolitan area and all the stores I've found within a convenient drive seem to carry nothing but Martin fluorocarbon (great strings but not what I want on most ukes) and only in Soprano/Concert size and for which they charge full retail in spite of the fact that they don't have a single person who knows anything about ukuleles beyond that they "all" come in boxes marked Lanikai or Cordoba... :(

John

808boy
10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Aloha Gang,
Anybody catch the Hawaii Music Supply 40% off strings and free shipping a couple weeks ago, advertised on Facebook? I bought several sets at a GREAT SAVING! I'll probably purchase some from Elderly as well.
Thanks for the heads up ol'goat...................................BO...... ...................

Dan Uke
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I had to buy several sets to take advantage of free shipping!!!

vanflynn
10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Sale or no sale I am glad for Elderly. I buy all I can from local shop all I can but when I wanted to buy just a low G string ( one single string not a set) to see if I would like a low g tuning on my concert they were one of the few shops online I found that carried it. When the string was on back order I got an email from a real human being with a direct phone number about the status. I know they are a big ass music store but they seem to still care about each customer.

olgoat52
10-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Sale or no sale I am glad for Elderly. I buy all I can from local shop all I can but when I wanted to buy just a low G string ( one single string not a set) to see if I would like a low g tuning on my concert they were one of the few shops online I found that carried it. When the string was on back order I got an email from a real human being with a direct phone number about the status. I know they are a big ass music store but they seem to still care about each customer.

Elderly is big but still very different. I have been dealing with them since the early '90s and there is a certain feel about the place that carries on. Must be Stan Werbins influence. Don't know. Just wished I lived closer.

olgoat52
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks OleGoat - I've been waiting for a sale because I want to experiment with some different brands of tenor strings.

As for buying locally - I live in a major metropolitan area and all the stores I've found within a convenient drive seem to carry nothing but Martin fluorocarbon (great strings but not what I want on most ukes) and only in Soprano/Concert size and for which they charge full retail in spite of the fact that they don't have a single person who knows anything about ukuleles beyond that they "all" come in boxes marked Lanikai or Cordoba... :(

John

OleGoat. has kind of a mexican feel to it.. Hmm. I have had the same experience here in Chicago with regard to ukes and strings. You can find Aquila's in a pinch but hope you don't need them for a tenor.

GKK
10-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks, for the code! I just ordered 2 sets of Fremont Blacklines.

mm stan
10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
I just ordered 7 sets today....was like getting a free set...cool....big plus...anybody selling ukes stuff named Stan can't be bad at all... after all I been buying strings from them for several
years now..and I'm a satisfied customer.. it's quick, easy and a good service dept..

laundromatt
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Placed my order yesterday - thanks for the code. How long does it usually take before they ship? (It was my first order with Elderly.)

mm stan
10-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Placed my order yesterday - thanks for the code. How long does it usually take before they ship? (It was my first order with Elderly.)
I get mine within 4-5 days.....in hawaii....

allanr
10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the coupon! I just bought two sets of Worths plus a single Worth low G string, and even with 10 bucks for postage to Canada I saved money.

olgoat52
10-21-2011, 10:32 AM

I get mine in Chicago in about 36 hours.