Kanile'a Islander MSS-4 Soprano (two weeks old)

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Sold:Kanile'a Islander MSS-4 Solid Mahogany Soprano (two weeks old)

I purchased a Kanile's Islander Soprano (MSS-4) and have had it for two weeks. I got serious about the ukulele on a recent trip to Hawaii. I already owned a Kamaka 8 string lili'u, barely played but wanted something smaller and less expensive to learn on. Then I got UAS, I guess. I purchased a new Kala Concert Travel, and a Pono MSD-E Mahogany deluxe soprano, and a Koa Pili Koko solid acacia Tenor. The purchase of this Islander put my wife over the top. I need to sell one. Actually I would be willing to sell any of the new ukes (not the Kamaka that I purchased at the factory in 1979), but out of all of them, it is the Islander that is redundant since I already have the Pono Soprano.

I purchased it three weeks ago and it arrived two weeks ago from Hawaii Music Supply. It came with their custom set-up. I also purchased the Uke-Crazy hard case for it, which is beautiful, functional, protective, and easy to travel with. The difference between this ukulele (MSS-4) and MS-4 is that this is solid mahagony, whereas the MS-4 is a laminate. This MSS-4 is also trimmed out in tortoise binding and abalone Rosette. It is a beautiful ukulele.

I paid $219 for the ukulele and $35 for the case. $254 total.
I am looking to sell the entire package for $200 plus shipping. Will take paypal payments.

This really is a great ukulele with a rich open tone and long sustain.

Islander Soprano Ukulele MSS - 4

• All solid Mahogany front, back and sides
• Tortoise binding on the front of 'ukulele
• Abalone Rosette around sound hole
• 19 Silver-Nickel Frets
• Abalone Fret position Marks at 3rd, 5th,7th,10th and 12th frets
• Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge with nickel fret wire
• Black Bridge Pins
• Mahogany neck
• Satin Finish
• NuBone nut and saddle
• Chrome Geared Tuners with Black Buttons (14:1 turning ratio)
• PREMIUM AQUILA CORDE NYLGUT STRINGS
• 13-1/2" Soprano Scale (Distance from Nut toSaddle)
• 21-3/8" Overall body length
• 9-3/8" Body length
• 5" Upper Bout
• 6-3/4" Lower Bout
• 4-3/8" Waist
• 2-3/8" tapered to 2" Body depth
• 2-11/16" tapered to 2-3/16" Arched Back Body depth
• 1-1/2" Nut widthIMG_9948.jpg

Total frets: 14 frets to the body and 18 frets total
IMG_9952.jpg
IMG_9950.jpgIMG_9948.jpg
IMG_9951.jpg

Last edited:
Interested. How is the intonation? Action? tone? Also, am in NJ and could pick up, rather than ship.

Last edited:
I love the uke. As I had said in my posting, I am fairly new to uke playing so I may not have the right words to describe it. The tone is crystal clear with a long sustain. it is a very open tone due to the satin finish. The Aquilla Nyglut strings make this sound incredibly clear. the only comparison I have is that this is the closest to a Martin that I have heard. I have 5 ukulele's and all sound different but none of them sound like a Martin. The Pono I have sounds more like the Kamaka. So does the Koko pili Koa. I do have a travel thinline Kala concert with the Aquilla Strings and a spruce top. The Kanile'a Isander is definitely more refined than the kale both in terms of build, and tone. For one, the Islander is louder than the Kala travel. It is also much more resonate and richer, refined.

Hawaii Music Supply did a custom set up so this plays like the best of all of my ukulele's. The action is equal to my kamaka and the Pono. By contrast, my kala did not have a custom set-up and oh boy can I feel the difference. the action on the Islander is low and there is no buzz. I would send you a sound clip but I pretty much still stink at playing and I am afraid that my playing might turn people away. If, when you see it and try it, if you don't like it, or course you don't need to take it.

I am in South Jersey- right by the entrance to the atlantic city Expressway on the Philadelphia end.
I'll tell ya-- it has been a real toss-up with me as to which uke to sell. The Pono is beautiful but it is not as easy to play because it is much smaller than the Islander, but the sound is equal, although a bit different. The Pono has a high Gloss and the sound is a bit more closed and softer, Plus, I think the Ko'olau strings make a difference in how it sounds. The word I would use to describe the Islander is "bright". Also, the Pono is a $370 instrument and I know that I won't spend that again for a soprano. My next soprano will be one of the three K's. I got The Pono in what I would guess would be a fluke on ebay. I was the only bidder and got it at $200 even. Never expected to win it. It was brand new. But I have to tell you, The Islander and Pono are pretty much on the same level in terms of quality in my estimation.

Well, that's about it-- let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom