Baratone uk tuned to GCEA

chipmcgehee

Reaction score
Hi Folks:
I recently bought a Cordoba Baratone and have tuned it GCEA with proper Aquila strings. This made the instrument have a very high tone like a Seprano or Concert uk. I was hoping that I could use strings of a different diameter so I can get a deeper tone out of it. Does anyone have suggestions on what type or size strings I could put on a Baratone and still tune to GCEA and get a deep tone instead of such a high pitch?
Mahalo,
Papaoa

Last edited:
So you want a baritone uke tuned like a tenor or concert and yet you still want a baritone sound. Its a baritone because it is meant to be tuned lower. You don't get a lower deeper sound by tuning it up with higher pitched strings. Perhaps you don't realize that the chord structure is the same for a baritone as a tenor or concert, only the name of the chord is different.

If you want a deep sound, get a set of Guadalupe baritone GCEA. They are an octave lower and really bring out a nice bass sound. I just got some and really like them.

Baratone tuned GCEA

Thanks for your help. Where can I get the Guadalupe strings?

Baratone tuned GCEA

Thanks for the reply. I tried the standard strings and tuning for the baratone but it made the uk sound like a bad guitar. When I put standard tenor uk strings made for a baratone tuned gcea it sounds nice but it is very high pitched. I thought that a different diameter string would allow me to tune it this way but be a lower pitch so it would bring out the mellow baratone sound.

Perhaps you are not aware GCEA is higher tuning and you will have a brighter sound....have you tried premimum strings first that are thicker to make it sound warmer..good luck...
I myself like DGBE and dropped tuned for a deeper richer sound....

Hello :) Thanks for your reply. When I bought the uk it came tuned DGBE but I wanted to play uk chords without transposing in my head. So a friend suggested putting on tenor strings and tuning it GCEA. If I put the original strings back on what would you suggest I tune to? I am really hoping to get the sweet uk sound but with a deeper tone.
Mahalo

I go a half step down and tune by ear....listen for the perfect pitch..every uke will have a slight difference..listen for the bell like sound at the end..
I prefer DGBE strings...I think the tenor strings is the root of your problem..as for DGBE tuning..you get used to it ...good luck....
As stated earlier...the chord positions are the same, just the names are different... Go to Dr Uke, Alot of baritone songs there...chorded http://www.doctoruke.com/songs.html

Here's my two cents worth!...I had researched this problem and have found a satisfactory solution...
In order to get the lower deeper sound that you like, you've got to get strings that are made for your baritone uke, but for GCEA tuning.
I got mine from elderlyinstruments.com and they have strings designed for just what you have in mind....the deeper sound. The strings
to order are: Aquila 23U Baritone uke strings. One set costs $4.95, but I ordered a set of three for $14.85. I then put them onto my baritone uke
and can now play most of the songs since they're mostly all written for GCEA tuning. Of course, I still love and play my baritone uke with its
DGBE tuning for that LOW sound which I love.

Top Bottom