Hissing when I plug in my uke?

Joethehobo

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I'm having a problem with my Ohana Tenor (http://www.ohana-music.com/teno/tk20ce/master.html) that is equipped with a UK-2000 pickup, an under the saddle spiral piezo cable pickup with a pre-amp with treble, bass and volume control equalizer.

Whenever I plug it in to anything I hear a very loud hissing/staticy sound. I've tested on two different amps with two seperate instrument cables and it is definitely my uke that is the problem.

Does anybody have any insight as to what's causing the problem? Can I fix this myself or would I have to take it into a shop? Will it require a new pickup?

Thanks!

I know this may sound like a stupid question, where is your volume set on your pre-amp? Set too high can sometimes be the problem.

It does it no matter where the volume is set unless it's set all the way down. When I move the EQs around the hissing will stop sometimes in random placments but then there is no signal going to the amp at all and when I move them again the hissing comes back

Some hissing is very common, although if it's quite loud it is problematic.

Which amps specifically have you plugged it into? It may be the amp, especially if they're not acoustic amps.

It is very loud. I've plugged it into a Line 6 amp and directly into my computer and recorded it with Audacity.

I've had this uke for over a year now and I've never experienced any sort of hissing. I played it two days ago and it sounded fine.

if it hisses with volemen rolled down, the problm could be after the preamp/eq

The hissing doesn't get progressively lower as i lower the volume on the uke. It stays constant until the volume is all the way down and then it suddenly cuts off.

Sounds like the battery might be dying. Did you perhaps leave the chord plugged into the jack on the uke since the last time you used it two days ago? If so I'd bet dollars to donuts the battery(ies) is/are dead.

Other option would be that the preamp went bad or the connection from pickup to preamp became very poor.

John

Oh, I should also mention that I hear hissing when I plug in my uke, too. It drove me nuts and I spent a fortune on new cables and everything until I finally realized it was coming from the audience... LOL

John

Oh, I should also mention that I hear hissing when I plug in my uke, too. It drove me nuts and I spent a fortune on new cables and everything until I finally realized it was coming from the audience... LOL

John

You're soooo bad . :)

well it was still under warranty so the guys at the shop are gonna fix it for free. They said it probably needs a new pre amp

Top Bottom