Setting up a Kala pocket ukulele - questions

imperialbari

Reaction score
My ukes so far were soprano and tenor from Ovation plus concert and baritone from Clearwater. Despite the soprano not being overly accommodating for my fat fingers, my web browsing couldn’t really stay away from the Kala pocket uke.

As I didn’t want veneer nor a mahogany body, there only was the acacia left as an option. Not easy to find in Europe. But one of my German suppliers happened to have one. Only that supplier does not set up instruments.

Fetched the parcel at the post office yesterday, unpacked, and tuned that little thing to Eb reentrant.

The Aquila strings felt edgy on my strumming fingers, something I also have noted when having restrung the soprano. The friction tuners appeared being sloppy, and the action was way higher than necessary to avoid a buzz against the frets.

I took the strings off the tuning pegs, so that the bone bridge insert came loose. I filed and scraped the top edge less than one mm down, and mounted the strings again.

The 3rd string peg was so loose that it rotated when I pulled the string. Found the screw at the bottom of the peg and tightened it. Any rules of thumb on how tight to turn that screw?

Any rules how high the action should be (mm’s over 12th fret)?

So far the experience has been positive, as the left hand playability is better than expected. And the soprano frets felt very maneuverable, when I tried them in between.

Klaus

Top Bottom