Stumbled across this...

Aloha Pete!
I think joejeweler posted a while back that he replaced a stock set of Grover tuners with these new Waverly tuners. Those Waverly tuners are very nice-looking with the curly Koa & Ebony buttons but are way out of my price-range though.:)

Mason671

They're just about as expensive as Pegheds if you buy in sets of 3 which isn't so bad is it? I suspect Collings has something to do with this. Watch out for potential changes to his headstocks :)

I'm not 100% convinced we need 16:1 gears on nylon strings TBH.

I'm not 100% convinced we need 16:1 gears on nylon strings TBH.

If you have a half decent ear you don't need any ratio other than 1:1. There are countless thousands of examples where that is the case including half of the members of the worlds Symphony Orchestras. Just think of the poor Baroque Lute player, 1:1 ratio and a mere 25 strings to tune.

I'm not sure we need spruce/cedar top ukuleles but we have 'em... I like these. Waverleys shout 'quality' though if I am going down this route these are superior and better value for money.

I've installed a set of these. They are the good quality you would expect but they're just another over priced tuner from Waverly. There is no good reason these have to cost so much. The knobs are nice however. 16:1 is ridiculous on any ukulele tuner. One of the things I like best about Pegheds is their 4:1 ratio, just about perfect.

Last edited:
I'm not a great fan of Pegheds - just haven't got the knack of fitting them consistently :(

...One of the things I like best about Pegheds is their 4:1 ratio, just about perfect.

As we sell strings I've spent untold hours stringing up one set after another for testing. That would be untold years at 16:1.

While I don't mind 1:1 at all especially for trebles, I also prefer something around 4:1 - not too slow for nylons, but better control on wound, and you can get things done quickly.

While no one will be changing stuff as much as I've been doing, think about what a performer might need to do if a string breaks. 16:1 would be a horror for anything but steel strings.

Top Bottom