PDA

View Full Version : Foldable ukulele

ulmis
10-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Would this be a suitable kit for a beginner luthier :)

http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/folding-ukulele-soprano-size-bamboo-plywood-kit-amber-color--6539

Timo

ksiegel
10-20-2011, 04:10 AM
It looks like it was designed on an Erector Set. (I'm probably showing my age with that...)

As a conversation piece, it is probably just fine, but as an instrument....

I wouldn't want one.

And nothing of the assembly is even remotely similar to any ukulele I've ever seen.

I'm not a luthier, but I'd still advise avoiding it.

-Kurt

wolfybau
10-20-2011, 04:33 AM
I think that is a very cute sort of 'novelty' ukulele kit. I wonder if it is actualy playable? If not it would be still cool to just hang in ones tiki bar :cool: Only the price seems a little high for a plywood kit. My dad built a doll house for my daughter out of one of those types of kits :)

ukeeku
10-20-2011, 05:50 AM
If you look at it from a academic perspective it is really cool. One very interesting thing about it is the fretboard. it has no frets. it is made of slats on and angle that make a jagged looking fretboard (Sliding up the neck is no problem, coming back would hurt)
Take a look at the build instructions, very interesting ideas for sure.

dhoenisch
10-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Looks pretty cool, but the price is terrible. If it were, say, $20, I wouldn't mind picking up just for the coolness factor. I can't imagine it sounds good though.

Dan

Lori
10-20-2011, 06:45 AM
I think you would have trouble keeping the strings in tune with all that folding and unfolding. If I understand correctly, if you detune and retune stretched strings, they have to go through another break-in cycle. I hate having to retune every couple of minutes.

–Lori

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-20-2011, 07:00 AM
It looks like it was designed on an Erector Set.

Having a peek of the materials used, I have the feeling it would have the same tone as an erector set too. (Or transformer if you are younger.) It's a novelty.

Lalz
10-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Niiice!! It probably doesn't sound great as an instrument, but I love the whole concept of democratising means of production through digital fabrication.
Would be great if they sold the PDF file instead for a lower price so people could laser-cut it themselves.

ksquine
10-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Looks like someone got a new laser cutter. Very cool idea though

Rob-C
10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
The stepped fretboard idea is nicked from the Bond guitars of the 1980s.

I tried one of those - I found it very weird not to have the visual and tactile cues that frets provide..

Timbuck
10-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I've noticed magnets are required in the build instructions..I recently try'd building a folding uke using "Rare earth magnets" to snap/hold the joints in place.. I used them with "Joseph Soss invisible folding hinges" http://www.soss.com/ ....the magnets were quite strong enough to hold the neck in place against the string pull....but I had so many other alignment problems with it...In the end I gave up on the idea...Perhaps someone else can do better???:)....I know it's already been done with guitars.

ckellogg
12-21-2011, 05:22 AM
A friend has the soprano shaped kit, it's made of bamboo. He had Jake sign the front last night, and is going to build it over New Year's. I will insist that he bring it to a jam, I'll let you know what I think of it. I love things that fold, so I may have to get the box shaped one. Just because. Oh that darned UAS.

new wave ukulele
12-21-2011, 05:47 AM
I guess if you can make a uke out of a cigar box, pie tin or dog dish, anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gaFRbOb6lw

the designer is is Brian Chan, he does Origami which is reflected in the design of his folding uke.