Expanding my Ukulele collection....

beginnerukeman143

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So i started playing ukulele about 3 months ago... and i actually already have a LeoLani (i know... i know.. but it was my first!) Tenor... but occasionally I have found myself wanting to try some other uke's preferably a Soprano... so i was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for like a $100 - $150 uke.. (pretty cheap i know... but im still a beginner :D)

Thank you everyone :)

Aloha beginnerukeman143,
At the risk of being rediculed, I love my laminated ukes. Case in point, I wanted to try a 6-stringer without the big expense so I bought an Oscar Schmidt OU-26 at a total cost of $75.00 and you know what, I love it. So no matter what the cost and brand, if YOU like it, why not. Don't be swayed by Headstock buyers.
My close friend mmStan has a large collection of ukes, from entry level to high end K-brands. You know what his daily players are, a $24.00 soprano and a $32.00 baritone...go figure. And he loves the sound and feel out of these ukes...I've seen them personally and played them as well as his other ukes. Find one to fit YOUR criteria and go for it.................................BO...........................

I just posted this on another thread, but my advice for you is to consider not getting something right now and instead saving your cash to be able to afford a proper solid wood model. If you can get about $300 saved you'll see you can get a really sweet 'ukulele - especially if you don't mind getting something second hand.

Anyway, take this for what it's worth. I know it doesn't offer much satisfaction now, but you'll probably be happier later.

I just posted this on another thread, but my advice for you is to consider not getting something right now and instead saving your cash to be able to afford a proper solid wood model. If you can get about $300 saved you'll see you can get a really sweet 'ukulele - especially if you don't mind getting something second hand.

Anyway, take this for what it's worth. I know it doesn't offer much satisfaction now, but you'll probably be happier later.

+1. Save up a bit more if you can. Play the heck out of the tenor in the meantime, though.

My first uke was this Kala novelty Pineapple, and even though I've gone through a dozen+ ukes costing several times more, I still own this one.
Fun looking in a classic way, surprisingly good low-end (due to the pineapple shape?) and laminate. In this case I consider laminate a plus because it does not need to be babied...
...which is good for a soprano since it is the one you'll want to take with you because of the size.
Under a $100 bucks on Amazon... if you don't like it, just return it without a hassle.
IMO its worth upgrading to Aquila strings (if it doesn't already have them) and even better with a set of Freemont Blacklines.

kala.jpg

Aloha beginnerukeman143,
At the risk of being rediculed, I love my laminated ukes. Case in point, I wanted to try a 6-stringer without the big expense so I bought an Oscar Schmidt OU-26 at a total cost of $75.00 and you know what, I love it. So no matter what the cost and brand, if YOU like it, why not. Don't be swayed by Headstock buyers.

yeah i agree. I play Ukulele for fun.. so I guess that whatever please's my ears the most i should buy..

I just posted this on another thread, but my advice for you is to consider not getting something right now and instead saving your cash to be able to afford a proper solid wood model.

that last statement is very true haha. yeah i may consider this as well...

My first uke was this Kala novelty Pineapple, and even though I've gone through a dozen+ ukes costing several times more, I still own this one.
Fun looking in a classic way, surprisingly good low-end (due to the pineapple shape?) and laminate. In this case I consider laminate a plus because it does not need to be babied...
...which is good for a soprano since it is the one you'll want to take with you because of the size.
Under a $100 bucks on Amazon... if you don't like it, just return it without a hassle.
IMO its worth upgrading to Aquila strings (if it doesn't already have them) and even better with a set of Freemont Blacklines.

View attachment 29098

I believe I have seen those at the local Ukulele shops for around $80 bucks... so the next time i stop by there i will definitely check those out :p

Last edited:
The uke that I've played recently that fits your needs is the Ohana SK-20S. I played one in a Portland guitar shop. It sounded and felt great. Online, Elderly's got them for a reasonable price.

[Disclaimer: I don't have any relationship with Elderly other than drooling over the ukes on their site.]

Top Bottom