Help deciding what tenor to buy for uke number three

Shakespeare

Reaction score
I have two ukes: a soprano Lanikai LU21 pineapple and a sopranino (well...in any case it is tiny) Kala pocket uke. I also have two Yamaha guitaleles but don't consider them to be proper ukes. I've learned a couple of fingerstyle solos in the last few weeks and realised that this is the direction I want to go in. A tenor sounds to be the best option but I have no way of testing anything in the flesh. I don't want to spend a huge amount either, so I am aiming around the £100-150 mark. That is approximately $150-225. Please bear in mind that I live in the UK so ordering from the US would incur extra postage costs and the dreaded import tax so I would prefer it to be sent from Europe, if not within the country. However, please suggest anything you think is a good idea. So far I have seen two I like the look/sound of: the Kala KA-TEM exotic mahogany and the kanilea islander (the cheaper one without the frills). Thanks in advance.

Not for nothing, but my suggestion is you hold off buying something right now and save up some more money so you can afford to get a proper solid wood 'ukulele. I realize the temptation may be pretty strong, but saving now for something really good later may well end up making you much happier in the end.

There are two uke shops in the UK that I've looked at (though not in person) which are highly recommended- Duke of Uke: http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk and Southern Ukulele Store: http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk.

If you're ever in Berlin you should check out Leleland: www.leleland.eu which is my local uke shop, and whose owner shows up at the Berlin meet-ups.

I would also agree with PoiDog. If you're getting another uke, you really want a solid wood one. I've only one, but for my second it will be a solid wood soprano.

Thanks for the replies. So...the universal response is 'spend a bit more and get a solid wood uke'. I can understand that. So, if I roughly double my budget to £200-£250 what can I get? Where is the most bang for buck? MisteRios, I have never heard of Bruko ukuleles. I will check them out.

Top Bottom