Cleaning your ukulele nicely...

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
ok, so how do i clean my uke nice??

on my fretboard theres these stain things, not sure how they got there but its only inbetween the e and a strings... theres heaps at 1st 2nd 3rd fret. theres some at the rest of the frets but not as much...

ill take photos soon, cant find my phone -.-

erm... anybody have any idea on what it is/how to get rid of it because my hands get wet when i play ukulele and slippery when i slide etc

You'll find all sorts of advice on cleaning fretboards, but one that seems to crop up a lot and which will do no harm is, next time you change your strings, get a cloth, dip it into warm water, wring it out and use it to wipe down your fretboard.

Cheap too!

All my Uke's have those to and I've only been playin for a few months (even my plastic Flea).

A guitar playin friend saw one of my uke's "Wow, you do play alot" I asked how can you tell "look at those finger marks" he said its from rubbing that spot over and over kind of like polishing cuz of the oil coming from you finger tips same thing about the shiny spot on my Soprano's where my arm rests/holds it (shows worse on my satin finishes).
My friend is a freak he wipes his guitars down after every song!!!!

I guess they make sprays to clean it, (one of several) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/654/
the guy at my Uke store told me to wash my hands before playing but there is nothing that will stop it.

Last edited:
I use Guitar Honey on all my ukes.

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/

I cleans the fretboard real nice and oils up at the same time without leaving any residue. A small bottle will last you a lifetime and its inexpensive -- under $10 at Guitar Center.

a japanese pencil eraser and lighter fluid (Naptha)on the fretboard followed by reoiling....use the eraser to clean the cruddy stuff By the wat Naptha is safe to almost all ukulele finishes like lacquer, UV etc.

a japanese pencil eraser and lighter fluid

I just got a uke thats 50 years old and it's got some heavy soiled spots all over it. Can I use a pencil eraser on the entire thing then re-oil it with "Guitar Honey?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom