Baritone with GCEA tuning

lambchop

Reaction score
I am really thinking of moving to a Baritone, but set up with a low G tuning. As I recall, Worth strings are pretty long - long enough to string a tenor and a soprano. That should mean that the Worth clears for a tenor should work, right (although I am not sure if they have a low G set). I know Aquilla has a G-set for Baritone, but I don't want to use the nylgut strings for this application. Any thoughts on stringing the bari for low G will be appreciated.

the answer to your question

My recommendation is the Southcoast GCEA with low G for baritone. they're great. I've used them and thought they were much superior to the Aguilas. I did however switch back to normal baritone tuning because i like having two different tunings to find a suitable key for singing.

Buy a set of DGBE baritone strings. Use the GB and E strings out of that set for the GC and E strings. For the A string, a
Worth .0185" should work. You'll have to buy 2 sets of strings to do it this way.

.. Any thoughts on stringing the bari for low G will be appreciated.

First, thanks for the recommendation, Kimo.

Lambchop - I'm pretty sure we are the only people making a set for what you want. You could try a Tenor set, but putting it on the longer Baritone scale will give you high tension, especially on strings 1-3.

Not sure why more people don't offer this - it's an excellent option for a Baritone. Search the posts and you'll find lots of remarks on these strings and even some videos. Anyway here's the link:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/linuke.htm

You'll see they're recommended for key of C (that's GCEA) on the 20" scale (that's Baritone scale), and are a linear set (in other words low 4th, in this case, low G). No wound strings.

Lambchop,

I recently ordered a couple of sets of G23 strings from Southcoast for my baritone and they are great! In addition, Dirk was incredibly helpful and made sure I got exactly the strings I was looking for. I would highly recommend them.

Gary

First, thanks for the recommendation, Kimo.

Lambchop - I'm pretty sure we are the only people making a set for what you want. You could try a Tenor set, but putting it on the longer Baritone scale will give you high tension, especially on strings 1-3.

Not sure why more people don't offer this - it's an excellent option for a Baritone. Search the posts and you'll find lots of remarks on these strings and even some videos. Anyway here's the link:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/linuke.htm

You'll see they're recommended for key of C (that's GCEA) on the 20" scale (that's Baritone scale), and are a linear set (in other words low 4th, in this case, low G). No wound strings.

This sounds exactly like what I want - are they fluocarbon strings? Your web site is great by the way - thanks for the link!

This sounds exactly like what I want - are they fluocarbon strings? Your web site is great by the way - thanks for the link!

Hello lambchop,

The one thing we do differently from just about everyone else is that we don't use the same material for every string. The linear set has some flourocarbon and some nylon. Even among those, the formulation is different - there's a lot of variation among nylon types and more than you would imagine among flourocarbons.

It's extra time and trouble to put together sets like that, but we think the sound they produce makes it worthwhile. More on that here (especially look at the "Mixed Sets":

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/selection.htm

(and thanks Gary!)

Top Bottom